When tv turns off nextbox 3.0 turns off

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

When tv turns off nextbox 3.0 turns off

My nextbox 3.0 turns off when my tv is turned off and reboots when my tv is turned back on. If i only turn off the box the power to my tv is still on.
I can't figure this out though. the HDMI CEC is turned OFF on my tv.l and i went through the master power settings but it still does this. Two rogers technicians couldn't even figure it out. Oh and my the box is not plugged in via regular HDMI input. it's connected to my tv by the thing that looks kinda like a USB (idk whats its called)

PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: When tv turns off nextbox 3.0 turns off

@Ineartatreyu wrote:
My nextbox 3.0 turns off when my tv is turned off and reboots when my tv is turned back on. If i only turn off the box the power to my tv is still on.
I can't figure this out though. the HDMI CEC is turned OFF on my tv.l and i went through the master power settings but it still does this. Two rogers technicians couldn't even figure it out. Oh and my the box is not plugged in via regular HDMI input. it's connected to my tv by the thing that looks kinda like a USB (idk whats its called)

PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks.

Sounds like, maybe, the Remote code for the TV and the NB3 are similar enough to be causing confusion?   Do you use the Rogers remote as a universal remote?

As for connections, I'm not understanding how you have things done.  Do you have only one. cable between the tv and box, or two?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only thing, that is kinda similar to a USB port.. is a displayport connection.. could be HDMI from the nextbox to displayport maybe on the TV (though thats normaly on PCs only)... and wouldnt carry audio i beleive.

The only connectors on the back of the nextbox are Component video, composite video, L/R audio, optical out, HDMI, USB, ESATA (this is for the extender hard drive)

CEC generally doesnt work on the NB3.. and if its turned off on the TV..

MOST LIKELY like Lurker said.. is that the remoteis programed to the TV.   When you are pressing power, do you see the CBL TV button at the top light up at all?

I Plan to Stick Around

The technician setup the remote. And it does control my TV, so yes you could say it's universal.
The weirdest part though is if i use my TV remote to turn off my TV it also turns off the box. So i don't see how it could be the rogers remote. I have already gone through all the settings on my tv and the only thing related to anything that would help is the HDMI CEC which did nothing when i turned off.

I Plan to Stick Around

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, yeah with the rogers box.. the remote programed to control the TV.. it will turn off the box as well, when you hit power on it.
(unless you hit TV first, then power, it will only do the TV).

Your TV remote turning the BOX off.. thats a wierd one... CEC would be the only thing i could think of possibly.. but if its off...

I Plan to Stick Around

It's very frustrating. It makes no sense honestly. My tv shouldn't turn off the box.
A ticket was sent in. The technicians said it was probably a problem with the software on the box. It's been like 3 weeks and hasn't been fixed. But i hear that the NB3 has a lot of issues similar to this.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I don't see the problem. As GDkitty says just hit the TV button then off. That is the way my remote works, but then I usually want both turned off and on at the same time.
I Plan to Stick Around

No, when i turn my TV off with the remote that came with my tv ,it also turns off the box. I don't want my box yo turn off because i have recordings set and i don't wanna wait 7 minutes every single time for it to reboot.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I never use the TV remote. I have the 8642 HDPVR and I can set a program to record, turn off both the TV and the box with the Rogers remote and it still records the scheduled programs.