Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with old NextBox receivers?

Radar2000
I plan to stick around

Hi there.

Late last year we switched to the new Rogers Ignite receivers

My question, is what to do with the old NextBox receivers? I have one 3.0 and two 2.0 receivers. Does Rogers take these back if I bring them in? Please let me know what you've done with your old boxes.

Cheers! 

***Edited Labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: What to do with old NextBox receivers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You may be able to sell them for a few $ on a website like Kijiji or similar.  See what others are asking for similar boxes - they're not worth much with everyone migrating to IgniteTV. You may be able to give them to someone?  Otherwise, do as @Biollw suggested.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Electronics recycling.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You may be able to sell them for a few $ on a website like Kijiji or similar.  See what others are asking for similar boxes - they're not worth much with everyone migrating to IgniteTV. You may be able to give them to someone?  Otherwise, do as @Biollw suggested.

unun4848
I plan to stick around

After cancelling cable TV, I recently took my PVR to the local Rogers store for recycling, but couldn't even get into the store. They now want you to scan a QR code outside the store to secure your place in line. I wasn't willing to do that - who knows what else that QR code does. Probably couldn't do it anyway since I have no data plan. So still stuck with the PVR. And never got the opportunity to upgrade my phone plan either.

unun4848
I plan to stick around

If you sell your PVR, is there any chance that it could be activated again under your account by someone else or something weird like that since the serial number may still be associated with your account? Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@unun4848 wrote:

If you sell your PVR, is there any chance that it could be activated again under your account by someone else or something weird like that since the serial number may still be associated with your account? Thanks.

A few things to note.

1. If you do sell, it's always a good idea to advise Rogers of the Buyer's name.  This is also important for the buyer if they wish to activate the box too.

2. The buyer would need to activate the box on their account (with all of their confidential information).

3. A box will not simply activate in a different location.

4. Rogers can tell the new location based on the node, so it'll likely be different from your old location.

5. Your preferences on the box in terms of recording preferences and your recordings would be available to the new owner, unless you delete these.  Probably best to do a factory reset before selling.

6. Don't expect to sell it because everyone is being migrated to IgniteTV, so these boxes are next to worthless these days.

theClubHopper
I'm a senior contributor
I migrate next week and was told after installation, to take everything else to the Rogers store for recycling, even equipment we own. So for us, that's the rented Hitron router, rented Nextbox3, an owned 8642HD and 4642HD terminal, and a pair of ancient digital adapters.

@theClubHopper Rogers will want the Hitron modem back, I'm assuming that its the white Hitron CODA 4582.  So, either the tech will take it, and you need to be sure that you get a receipt for it, or you might have to send it back via Canada Post.  If you do, have a look at the following post regarding equipment return.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Returning-Modem-via-UPS/m-p/515624/highlight/t...

The rented Nextbox is a good question.  Don't know if Rogers expects that to be returned or not. 

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
Just switch my MIL to ignite and sent.back her netbox x 2, telephone box and modem back to rogers. Don't care what they do with it.

adm7007
I plan to stick around

I've been wondering about this to.

I have a Nextbox 9865,Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem and a digital adapter.

Nextbox and Hitron modem are rentals.

If I cancel Rogers does Rogers want them returned?I hope not.

Rogers doesn't use this equipment anymore and being rentals they have more than been paid for.

I would rather not go through the hassle of returning this equipment.

I expect I would get different answers from different Rogers employees on this.

theClubHopper
I'm a senior contributor

@Datalink wrote: "I'm assuming that its the white Hitron CODA 4582".

Nah, it's the CGN3ACSMR. But in any case, everything I've got to the store was the verbal instruction. I'll update this next week and say how it went.

@theClubHopper : @adm7007 : Here are my comments.

1. Rogers will want any rental equipment back, although they may not care about the DTA50s.

2. Although some Rogers stores may take back the equipment, they all do not. Call the store to check first and get the person's name if they say they accept returned equipment.  Also take ID to the store with you.

3. Get a receipt at the store for the returned equipment, just in case.

4. Rogers often send a return request and return documentation, instead of asking people to go to a Rogers store. I believe they do this via e-mail, but I don't recall for sure.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor

Rogers supplied a prepaid purolator return label in the box with the Ignite equipment. Packaged it all up in the same box and sent it back.

adm7007
I plan to stick around

Are you 100% sure Rogers would want my old rental equipment back with no exceptions?

It's of no use to them anymore.They don't refurbish this stuff anymore I would think.

In the past I guess they would want it back when it was still being used but now with it not being used who knows.

Biollw
I'm a senior advisor
If you don't send it back as per their requirement they would love to Bill you for it.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If they ask for it back, even if you are NOT renting and own the box outright, just send it back to them, trust me, they are doing you a FAVOUR,  The boxes are end of life, they are not activating new customers on the old  Digital Cable no more, and who wants to hoard old electronics that can not be reused? no one.

I see people listing them for sale online too, sure if you feel confident to do that but just remember, the market is flooded with used Rogers Digital Cable set top boxes so don't expect to get rich trying to sell them, expect to make very little money or even give it away free.

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
I question the right of Rogers to even ask for equipment that the customer has already paid for!

If it's just a soft request with no consequences for ignoring the request, or for Rogers/canada Post losing the equipment, then that's fine. However, if Rogers won't cancel the Legacy account until they locate the equipment, well, then Rogers needs to be punished, or scolded by both the CRTC and the CCTS.

If a customer loses the proof of return paperwork, or it's not correctly filled out, what's Rogers going to do if the equipment (no longer owned by Rogers) can't be located in a timely manner, or ever? Would Rogers dare to keep billing you for a service you no longer can use, and then send the account to a collection's agency if the customer never noticed that Rogers still needs the owned equipment? The Rogers billing computer is capable of all sorts of mischief, so why would Rogers ask for owned equipment to be returned? It makes no sense, especially since I wasn't asked to send back my owned PVR when I cancelled my same legacy account about 2 years ago (and then later reactivated the PVR when I came back to Rogers.

If I didn't have to return it then, I better not get asked to return it when dig. legacy dies in my area., and I leave Rogers.

Sincerely,
Legacy Lover

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Usually when a Broadcasting Undertaking company such as Rogers switches from a legacy Digital cable to a newer system such as Ignite TV/Internet, they have a newer tool to manage your TV and Internet equipment, thus the older tool they used to use to manage your cable account will have your equipment either tagged as removed or depreciated from your account, and your legacy cable account will be closed up., The waybill you get to send your old equipment back might be an automated process, or maybe its triggered manually from the agents, i do not know as I am not an employee, but a good thing to do would be to politely ask them a question and say "Hey, do I NEED to return these old, discontinued, useless set top boxes that I own, or is there any repercussions of me keeping this useless equipment that I will never be able to re-use ever again and not be penalized financially for not returning it?" 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mebe wrote:
1. Would Rogers dare to keep billing you for a service you no longer can use, and then send the account to a collection's agency if the customer never noticed that Rogers still needs the owned equipment?
2. ...why would Rogers ask for owned equipment to be returned? 

1. Since the rental equipment is Rogers' it's their right to ask for it back.  It's totally up to them and they also have the right to compensation if it's lost or not returned.  Not saying they will but it is their right.  I assume they simply recycle the rental equipment in some way, perhaps getting some small credit or write off.  The equipment would need to be in Rogers' possession to write it off or get a credit.

2. This is very simple, they don't.

theClubHopper
I'm a senior contributor

Last week, I wrote that the rep on the phone who processed my Ignite order had explained that I should take back all the old equipment including owned obsolete equipment to the local Rogers store - for electronics recycling. I see now that I neglected to also write that he'd explained that it was only *his recommendation* that I include owned equipment, as it is essentially worthless as no new customers are joining on legacy equipment plans and it's no sweat off their backs to take it off customers' hands. I agreed. So I apologize if my post caused any confusion or anger.

When the Pro Install tech came, he told me he takes back the old rented PVR and modem - but he wasn't interested in our owned equipment. Later, I called my local Rogers store just to confirm they'd take the owned stuff, and they said sure, they'll take it off our hands for recycling. Incidentally, the new equipment boxes had a card in them for no cost return-via-post instructions, evidently another option (for rented equipment returns). But I very much doubt Rogers wants to pay for your old owned equipment to be shipped back to them!

mebe
I'm a trusted contributor
I assumed that it was a soft request, or suggestion, and it should be rather obvious that Owned equipment is ours to keep, however, I wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be a sudden push for ALL Legacy equipment to be returned, without making it clear that keeping owned equipment isn't somehow going to cause the Rogers billing system to go crazy.

Sincerely,
PVR (Paranoid Video Recycler)
Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 9 in conversation