What Happens to My PVR Recordings If I Cancel the Channel the Recording Is From?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

What Happens to My PVR Recordings If I Cancel the Channel the Recording Is From?

What happens to my recordings if I cancel a channel? Will they still be accessible on my pvr?

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What Happens to My PVR Recordings If I Cancel the Channel the Recording Is From?

If you're talking about legacy digital cable with your own PVR, then yes, the programme can be watched any time, as long as you're a Rogers digital cable customer. For example, a lot of times there are free previews and I record a bunch of programmes and watch them later.

I'm not sure what happens on IgniteTV.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: What Happens to My PVR Recordings If I Cancel the Channel the Recording Is From?

@57 wrote:

If you're talking about legacy digital cable with your own PVR, then yes, the programme can be watched any time, as long as you're a Rogers digital cable customer. For example, a lot of times there are free previews and I record a bunch of programmes and watch them later.

I'm not sure what happens on IgniteTV.

Same with Ignite TV.  I have recorded movies when Super Channel offered a free preview, and they continued to be watchable after the preview ended.  Likewise, if you record a program on a Flex channel then swap it out, the recorded program remains watchable afterwards.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I believe Ignite only keeps archived shows for 1 year. After that they're gone.  However even archiving shows on a PVR is not recommended in case of a HD crash. But with SARA you could copy saved shows to DVD and maybe even with Navigatr if you were clever. So here is a question. Could there be a way to archive saved shows on the Ignite cloud to  media off-line?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote: Could there be a way to archive saved shows on the Ignite cloud to media off-line?

Since Ignite only has HDMI output, you'd need to purchase a converter for HDMI to composite video and analogue audio.  You could then feed the output to a DVD recorder, hit "play" on the Ignite box and "record" on the DVD recorder. Much the same as you do with Navigatr although the Navigatr boxes have a composite output.

These days most programming can be found somewhere on the web, so it's not usually necessary to archive anything, especially since it gets recorded as 480i.

Using HDMI to component video/analogue audio to an Hauppauge HTPC may also be possible, but not many people are into that given the complexity and cost.