Watch Cable TV wirelessly

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Watch Cable TV wirelessly

I have Rogers cable in the house.  Unfortunately, I can't get the cable line to the side of the house where I need it (we can steel beams running the length of the house).  How can I access cable from a tv wirelessly?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Watch Cable TV wirelessly

You can do that with wireless video/audio senders. You would need to take the output from the back of the box and first split it. The way you do that will depend on the cables you want to use from the back of the box. The 2 transmitters I am familier with are both HDMI based. One is from AMX and the other from Gefen. Both retail around $350-$400. Both require a 2 way HDMI splitter as well. They work quite well and the AMX one even has an IR repeater so you can control the box from the second location. Can't remember if the Gefen does it too, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. Keep in mind that this set up means that you will have the exact same feed in both rooms in terms of the channel. There is no way to have 2 different feeds unless you also add a second Rogers box to the mix on top of the transmitter.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only other option possibly, would be running the cables EXTERNALY.  Rogers will actualy do this for you.

You could have them, from where the cable comes from the street to your house (usualy by the electrical box), into their own box there, then into  your house.  They can run a feed from there, AROUND the outside of the house to the location that you want, and then through the wall to the inside.

I know this is not the most practical, depending on how far away the room is from where the feed comes, where the cable has to go, etc.. it can look unsightly, etc.  But they will do it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just tried to hookup wireless transmitter/receiver system from Actiontec using HDMI cables. Video works fine but no audio.The problem is the Rogers cable box Explorer 8300HDPVR. The HDMI output is not HDCP 2.0 compliant and it is required by the wireless transmitter repeater technology for the audio transmission. I can't get any answers from anybody at Rogers why their cable boxes are not HDCP compliant. 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I know the Gefen and the AMX both work with the 8300. I haven't tried them with the Cisco boxes. Also, Rogers gets the boxes from Cisco so you can try contacting them.
I Plan to Stick Around

I contacted Actiontec and this was their reply.

Not all cable boxes support HDMI repeater technology.Who is your cable TV provider?What brand and model of STB did they provide?If its not a compatible box, we can send a list of boxes that will work.

. Your cable provider is not on our list, but the Scientific Atlanta Box you have does not support the HDMI repeater technology and this is why you have no audio.
You would need to contact your cable provider and ask for a cable box that supports HDMI repeater mode and has the High Definition Content Protection 2.0 standard (HDCP 2.0)
These are required by your cable box to support being connected to a repeater which is what the Transmitter (Tx) in the MWTV kit is.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

well i guess you could say both sides are at fault then.

Its wierd though, my surround sound i am pretty sure is HDCP 2.0, and it passes through the new boxes HDMI fine..  Could varry from device to device though.

I Plan to Stick Around

The frustraring part is that I can't get anybody at Rogers to answer my question.

Does any of the Rogers cable boxes support HDMI repeater technology compliant with HDCP2.0????

Rogers technical support sucks big time!!!! Dealing with Rogers is like dealing with the government.

"Don't disturb our sleep nless we can sell you something" 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i agree, rogers SHOULD know if their boxes are HDCP 2.0 compliant or not..   they may not know about if they support the repeater technology or not, or what brands.  They are not trained in any of those hardware, etc..  They never can guarantee if it will work with anything other than out directly to the TV.

I know the boxes at least support basic HDCP.. but not sure if 2.0.

Did a quick look for you on the net, nothing blaring as in terms of an answer, even from cisco directly Smiley Sad but in a few different forums, some people that did have issues with HDCP and that box, did play around with different HDMI cables.. and actualy got it working on devices which were having issues (guess the cables were not sending the HDCP signal properly.

I Plan to Stick Around

The issue with the older type HDMI cables being non HDCP compliant has been around for some time. The present HDMI cables are at least  the 1.3 version and are HDCP compliant. I used this type of cablein my hook up. The problem is with the set top box Explorer 8300HD PVR that Rogers uses made by Scientific Atlanta , now Cisco. What I want to know if the new NextboxHDPVR is technically the same as the 8300. The NextboxHD PVR appears to be the Cisco Explorer 8642HD DVR model. Cisco refers any inquiries back to Rogers. Rogers doesn't answer my inquiry. I feel like a dog chasing his own tail.