Volume Control not working on remote and cable box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Volume Control not working on remote and cable box

We have the same box (purchased second hand) and the pvr works, but we are having trouble with the volume control.  We can turn it on with remote but when we try to set the volume with the 9 9 3 code sequence it does nothing.  Any tips?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You didn't say which remote you have (there are many), but if you go to the following website you should be able to select Rogers as the provider, then select the remote you have, then programme the volume control for your TV or AV Receiver, depending on what device you wish to control. The volume button doesn't affect the Rogers box (unless you were using analogue audio cables (red/white)) it actually controls the TV or AV Receiver, which must be properly programmed in first via a device code (usually).  Good Luck.

https://www.urcsupport.com/

If you still have difficulty, give Rogers a call.

I'm a Regular

There is no Volume+ button on the front of my Cisco PVR. Only a power button on/off.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cap07 wrote:

There is no Volume+ button on the front of my Cisco PVR. Only a power button on/off.

...and you are saying this why?

Hello @Cap07,

I have always preferred a physical volume button as well, it's really handy on the days you cannot find the remote!

The newer cables boxes have significantly fewer buttons than the older models. Even cell phones these days seem to be going as minimalistic as possible and removing pretty much all buttons for touch interfaces. I love pushing buttons, especially the big red ones but those are usually only for emergencies. =P

If you have a specific question or concern let the Community know and I am confident you will find the answer.

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cap07 wrote:

You think that's crazy? Wait till you find out that most newer Television sets do not have a simple volume up down button them anymore either.   My inlaws got a new tv and there is no separate buttons for on off channel up down volume, menu or input,  its just one button which you press in the direction of a joystick so up or down then you press down on the button to call up the second menu that is where you change the inputs or activate the menus or even volume from what I can remember .  so ya it does not get any better

I'm a Regular

@robindp wrote:

Michael,

Try this:

- Change "Volume Control" to "VARIABLE".

- Press and hold the "VOLUME +" button on the front of the PVR (front left) until the volume is at max (see TV).

- Change "Volume Control" to "FIXED".

This should help the issue.  Keep the Audio Range to "NARROW" for the loudest possible volume - any other setting (especially WIDE) will make the volume lower than normal (except for the explosions/loud booms).

Hope this helps!

I was hoping there would be some way to set the volume higher as we're having a problem with volume on some channels. For instance, watching the History channel we had to put the sound up to 40 when anyone was talking low. Never had to do that a month ago. Now audio is all over the place. CP24 and CNN (and some others) are fine at 14 or 15 but CBCNews channel and others need to be cranked way up between 20 and 30. We have two TVs and the problem is happening on both. We have a Cisco 9865 PVR, so no volume button on the front panel. Mentioned this to Rogers and they've sent three techs. One CSR and one tech said the signal we're getting is weak but no one seems able to do anything to boost it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cap07  : I believe that the variable volume setting only works for the analogue audio outputs and not for digital connections like HDMI, but feel free to give it a try.  The "narrow" setting may help. The "fixed" setting usually provides the same audio output as when you set the variable output to maximum.  Did you try out all the items we discussed in the previous thread?

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-audio-drop/m-p/435092#M48999

If it's signal-related as discussed in the following post, then you're going to have to wait until Rogers fixes the signal, but keep on them.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-audio-drop/m-p/435746#M49114

I'm a Regular

Tried all your tips. Had at least two different techs in and they changed nothing. I had my TV's volume at 14 for CP24 and CNN this morning and could hear everything fine. When I switched to CBCNews 26, I had to dial it up to 21 to hear it as well as I could the other channels. About half the channels seem to be on low volume.  I was watching the History channel the other night and had to turn the volume up to 30. Same for PBS.

I am resigned to this being the new normal because if there is a fix for it, Rogers techs have absolutely no clue what it is. I get the feeling they go away thinking "At least you have sound and picture. What more do you need?" This is an older area with lots of retired folks and seniors, so maybe Rogers figures there is no profit in upgrading the lines if most do not buy the high-end packages.

Hello again @Cap07,

Audio issues can really make your TV watching experience much less enjoyable. =(

Since you've already had multiple technicians out to investigate this, we'd like to review the notes left by the technicians so we can determine what would be the best step to take next.

Please send a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your info, review the notes on your file and run some tests on our end. If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please Click Here.

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersTony