Vintage TV Canada removed from Rogers or shut down?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Vintage TV Canada removed from Rogers or shut down?

So, last week, I curiously tuned into Vintage TV (Channel 700 on both Digital Cable and Ignite TV, strangely labeled as "Channel M") and got the following notice:

"Please note, Channel M (Vintage TV) is no longer available. We apologize for any inconvenience".

Now, I've always been curious about this channel. The quality of the channel on both Digital and Cable TV was SD 16:9 (per the Wikipedia article), and I've noticed that most of the time, the schedule on the guides wasn't quite right or in sync to what the channel was actually shown. I had never heard of the channel until a few months ago (Since it was only carried by Shaw Direct, Cable and Rogers).

Website & Wikipedia article:

https://vintagetv.ca/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vintage_TV_(Canada)

I've done a quick search and I've noticed that at times and even last year, Vintage TV (or Channel M) has either shut down or got removed from Shaw. I'm now genuinely confused about the state of the channel, since there's no updated notice of their channel making changes or shutting down. I only got the Channel M unavailability notice last week since I was able to watch the channel off and on back in most of January of this year.

Is anyone from Rogers able to tell me what's going on with Vintage TV/Channel M?

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Vintage TV Canada removed from Rogers or shut down?

Hey @BMan78,

Thanks for your post! I can definitely understand your concern.

I'm sorry to let you know that their website has not been updated with the latest information.

Unfortunately, Rogers has ceased offering Vintage TV as of January 25, 2019. This was the programmer’s decision.

The network has decided to cease broadcasting in Canada. The channel will be removed and you will no longer be able to view or tune in to the channel. 

Vintage TV offered original music shows, including intimate live sessions, concerts, exclusive interviews, festivals, album reviews and a unique archive of vintage videos.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info. It’s sad that Vintage TV (Or Channel M) never got that much attention afaik.

Also, @RogersMaude, I have a question. What does one mean by “This was the programmer’s decision”. What is the role of the “Programmer”?
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, it's gone, just something called Universal Music droning on and the notice.

I just checked my recent bills and there is no mention of the removal, just this on my November bill:

TV CHANNEL REMOVALS
From time to time, we adjust our channel lineups to reflect the changing viewership
trends of our customers. As of January 1, 2019, Stingray Juicebox, Stingray RETRO,
Stingray LOUD, and Stingray VIBE will no longer be in your TV package. In addition, at the
discretion of the programmer, BBC Kids will also cease operations as of this date and will
no longer be available in your TV package.
The rest of your Rogers TV package will remain the same. If you would like to respond to
this notice, have questions, or wish to cancel or make changes to your TV service, please
call us at 1-888-ROGERS1. Thank you for choosing Rogers.

Lots of channels getting removed, none added, no reduction in price.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Enthusiast

I notice channel 324 Silver Screen is no longer available. Not sure if it was meant as a temporary offering.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IIRC Silver Screen was on Free Preview recently, but no longer. I don't believe it's "gone", you just need to subscribe ($4 or so) to get it. It's in my guide but I don't subscribe...

Make sure you have your guide set to show all channels.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

"Programmer" is Rogers-speak for the channel owner.

The channel itself shut down - it wasn't Rogers who simply decided not to carry it anymore.