Various TV channels pixelating

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Various TV channels pixelating

Over the last few weeks, a number of my channels are freezing and pixelating.  It's not always on the same channel and also happens when I'm  recording with the PVR - which means I can't watch what I've recorded which is very frustrating!  I've tried rebooting the box a number of times (the answer I always seem to get when I call Rogers) but to no avail.  Is anyone else having this issue in the Mississauga area?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Various TV channels pixelating

First thing would be to get a tech out to the house to check the signal levels. While you may have not done something yourself, things may have changed externally.
A tech can check the levels, replace splitters and cables or put a booster if needed, etc which may fix it.

Worse case if they find it a fees to the box on the street issue they can hopefully escalate it to maintenance who deals with the BIGER street lines.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Gdkitty is right, it might very well be a signal problem, can be anywhere from inside your houes all the way to the rogers wiring on the Hydro Poll. The Technicians job is to check the signals and fix any components that could be causing pour signal and your tv should work normally after thats done, if u dont report it, then they wont know to come out and fix it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@KWoo wrote:

Over the last few weeks, a number of my channels are freezing and pixelating.  It's not always on the same channel and also happens when I'm  recording with the PVR - which means I can't watch what I've recorded which is very frustrating!  I've tried rebooting the box a number of times (the answer I always seem to get when I call Rogers) but to no avail.  Is anyone else having this issue in the Mississauga area?

We have had similar issues. We have had our signal checked out - no problems there. We had a new Cable run from outside the house to the inside. We have replaced our PVR box. The problems persist. We have narrowed our problem down (I think) - pixelating and freezing only seems to occur when you are watching one channel and recording on another. You mentioned that your problem happens when recording. Is it anything like what we have experienced? I have come to the conclusion that it must be something on Rogers end - the way they compress their signals or something with the boxes. It is obvious that they are doing something to compress their signals because Bell Fibe has a far superior HD picture as does OTA broadcasting. I also do not think that their HD boxes are capable of pulling in two signals at once. The number of customers experiencing these pixelation issues are too numerous to be explained by a simple signal issue!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Except there are many users, myself included, who are able to record 2 channels at once, with no problems at all. (And two HD feeds)

I did have a pixelating issue last year. Generally the signal strength was fine. And like yours persisted.
It was only at certain times that it happened, tended to be in the evening when overall draw in the neibourhood would be at its peek.
Others on the street experienced the same.

Took continual calls, and getting techs out in the timeframes when it was happening. Eventually it was traced down to a street cable issue. Once this was traced and fixed, it disappeared.

Not saying it will ALWAYS be the case, but most of the time pixelization is caused by signal issues.

Hopefully compression will become less of an issue though once all the analog channels are gone and the rest of the badwidth is freed up for use.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yeah, they told us there could be a street issue as well. They gave me number to call and then never returned my calls. Also, with respect to that new cable they ran, I was told it was a temporary cable and that it would be replaced and then buried. They showed up and buried it without ever replacing it. All I can say is that Rogers is one godawful, useless company!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Depending on what the tech put out, sometimes its the same as what is normaly buried, so no need to switch it again.

Though if you question the burry, call and ask to talk to the department who deals with the burries (forget the name at the moment).

Rogers mostly sub contracts this to 3rd party companies. I had a temp line with my issues, and they came out and 'buried' it. To me was 100% sure ground not disturbed, no extra wires, etc at the street box (its infront of my house, not locked). I questioned it and a Rogers rep and manager from the burial comp came out and agreed nothing had been done! Some got fired, and Rogers have me a credit for an apology.

Unfortunately, street fixes can take a long time to fix :(. Harder to trace the line.

I could completely understand leaving after this though (I would have if say fibe was avail here, but sadly only sattalite, which I would never do again)
If you do choose to, ask around and see if anyone else has issues with their phone lines. Don't want to run into bad infrastructure elsewhere either 😞

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm at the end of my rope with Rogers and their inability to deliver a consistent service. In the past three weeks, I've had technicians out to the house twice due to pixelation and stuttering channels. The Superbowl was a slow motion slide show, and the high def channels (500+) all stutter. Overall, I probably have a tech visit the house once every three - four months on average.

At this point

- I've been told the signal to the house and the outlets are fine.

- the problem never occurs when the techs are here. Seems to be most prevalent on a Saturday night / Sunday morning.

- they've installed and replaced a signal amplifier. They also had to add something to the cables at the HD boxes as the signal was too strong in some cases.

- Tech #2 stated that Tech #1 mis-wired everything.

- They are now starting to blame the SA8300HD I purchased a few years ago. The suggestion from one of the techs was that I should throw it out and rent a new HD box instead.

At this point, I'll probably disconnect the SA8300HD to see if it improves anything. The frustrating thing to me is that there doesn't appear to be anyway to troubleshoot these kinds of issues. The techs all do the same thing

- check the signal

- replace all of the internal cables

- replace all of the connectors

- close the case as it works.

Is there someway to log the errors that are occuring on the signal over time? Short of that, I'm wondering if I have to have a tech live here so that they can troubleshoot the problem when it occurs. It kills me that when I call, they can check the signal to the HD boxes remotely, but apparently there is no way to set up a method of monitoring it over time to confirm the issue.

To be honest, I had a salesman out here last week to try to sell me on the smart home monitoring system. Not going to happen. Roger's bread and butter service is cable TV, and they are not able to deliver it reliably. If they can't get that right, there's no way I'm trusting them to deliver anything like security.

I'm a Regular

I feel your pain I'm having the same kind of problem with my channels, things have been fine for awhile now with Rogers cable all of a sudden until a couple days ago getting problems and still no fix.   Now because of this I have to watch The Walking Dead tomorrow on crappy analog.    Smiley Tongue

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible that the 8300 is the problem.. problem being, that only way to test is with another box. 
Could always call in, talk to retentions.. and see if the can comp you the rental on a newer box for a while..  then see if it does it.