Using an 8300 HD in another city

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Using an 8300 HD in another city

So, we now have a NB 2 and 3 - the 2 will eventually move to our second TV and thus I'll have a 8300 that is no longer needed. My mother has Cogeco in Ancaster and I was wondering if it is feasible to give the box to her and have Cogeco register it? We own the box outright.

I expect I know the answer but thought I'd try anyway.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Using an 8300 HD in another city

The best thing to do is to call Cogeco and ask them if they will authorize this box into their system.  Cable providors don't always like adding equipment from other cable companies for multiple reasons.  The most basic reason is that they don't always use the same equipment!

I know for a fact that Rogers will NOT authorize equipment that is not already in their data base. Not sure if Cogeco is the same way.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Cogeco does not use Cisco/SA equipment.  A call to them would be a waste of time.

If you don't need the 8300, deactivate it from your account and sell it online.  There's a fairly brisk market for 8300s by people disillusioned by the Nextbox experience.

Thanks Lurker - that is what I expected.
I've Been Around

Does anyone know if I buy a Rogers 8642 box from Milton will it work on Rogers in Hamilton?

I have a friend that bought one from Hamilton and tried to use it in Kitchener and Rogers said no although it was on the Rogers network in Hamilton originally.

Retired Moderator RogersSannecia
Retired Moderator

Hello @Wendyd

Welcome to the Forums Smiley Wink!

Rogers Hamilton uses a Motorola-based network and digital cable equipment from another area is not compatible with Hamilton boxes.

Hope this answers your question.

RogersSannecia