Upgrades from 4642?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Upgrades from 4642?

I'm on Digital VIP service with a 4642 box, am thinking of upgrading to a PVR box but hearing a lot of horror stories about Nextbox!

I just have one HDTV hooked up to the cable box, no plans to add any other equipment at this time. 

What options do I have with Rogers? Is it possible to get a PVR box that isn't Nextbox? Does the 4642 box already provide all the capabilities I'm paying for or am I missing out on options (other than PVR) that I'd get with an upgraded box? 

OR - is Nextbox not all that bad and worth a try? 

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Upgrades from 4642?

Rogers only officially offers two boxes - the Nextbox PVR (Cisco 8642) and the Nextbox Terminal (your Cisco 4642).

Other than PVR functionality, the 8642 and 4642 are basically the same box. 

I've heard that The Shopping Channel is selling the older SA8300 PVRs, and you can probably find them used online (BE CAREFUL with this option, there are pitfalls)), but if you don' need or want PVR functionality, stick with your 4642.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As lurker said, there is the 8300 on the shopping channel. These are old refurb units so have their own possible issues.
They use the old guide, but some new features are not there.

Now, the nextboxes you can have reverted to the old guide if you wished.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the replies so far! 

I am not sure if my box is a Nextbox. I've had it for around 2 years, it isn't branded as a Nextbox and the guide it has is the same as it's always been since I got it. I haven't done anything to update its software (didn't know that was an option). 

I didn't really bother with checking out all of its features until recently. For example, I now know that if it's supposed to have PIP, that doesn't work, or I haven't figured it out yet. Last night I just discovered the existence of the HD channels above 400! So now trying to figure out how to browse them when looking for something to watch, without having to scroll through 100's of channels I don't get... yes I know, I'm a TV Luddite. 

I will keep digging through the novel/manual and playing around with it. In the meantime, should I be updating its software? 

I'm a Senior Advisor

The only difference between your 4642 and a Nextbox 4642 is the Nextbox sticker on the front.

What guide does it have?  Does your guide look like what's featured on Rogers website, or does it look like this...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=cisco+sara+software&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=643A0343CAFFF9F5B...

I've Been Here Awhile

Mine has the guide that looks like the "old" one in the pic on your link.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok.

If you decide to get a pvr then, most of the issues you hear with the nexbox are with the new guide.

You can have it downgraded if you wish down to the guide you have, which eliminates most of them.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Cool...you currenlty have SARA.  With SARA, there is no way to hide channels you don't subscribe to.  A tip for browsing...while in the guide, you can enter a channel number and the guide will jump to there...so if you just want o browse the HD block, just punch in 474 and the guide will jump right to that channel and you can browse from there.

With the new guide, you can go into settings and hide channels you don't want to see in your guide.   One of the advantages of the new guide.  Should you want it, you can request it online thru your MyRogers account.

I have had the new guide on a 4642 for as long as its been out and have had no issues with it.  Most of the issues with the new guide seem to come from its PVR functionality.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

One feature of the SARA software that I always liked, and used was the ability to search for the same show, and see if its playing on another channel - possibly in high def.

I do this by: Going to the guide, choosing the show I want to watch.  While on that channel, I will open the guide again, and choose the "A" (yellow triangle) on remote to choose BROWSE BY, choose TITLE, and then it will display all programs showing on all channels. 

Can this be accomplished with the "new guide" 

I'm a Senior Advisor

The new guide has a search function very similar to the one introduced in the "Quick Start" menu.