Upgrades at 2am

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Upgrades at 2am

Does anyone know why Rogers is upgrading the digital terminal at 2am every night?  Will this be permanent?  If so, can I get the upgrade time moved?  I'm up at 2am and would like to watch TV in peace.

Thanks

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Upgrades at 2am

Rogers does system clean up every night from 2am -- 6am. You can not change that seeing its the companny is doing it at that time around canada. Rogers has been doing this for years. You need to get used to it
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They most likely set it, so it falls in the 'least used' timeframe.. you can try calling and see if they can, but its possibly NO due to its done en mass

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I tried this Gdkitty & they told me they can not because like you said it does it in a mass to everyone in the province. They told me Rogers picked 2am-6am seeing as barely anyone uses th TV / phones / internet at that time. At 2am-6am they start to clean & take care of the systems. So nothing Rogers can do for him.
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand they need to upgrade and maintain their systems, but why the terminal.  On the 8300 PVR, this never happened.  Even on the new one, before the upgrade to the new guide, this didn't happen.

I might need to roll back if this is permanent.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats the difference between the boxes /new IPG as well.

With the old guide, there never was any updates really.. its never changed.

With this one, they are able to do more changes/updates on the fly to it.. when the IPG was released, there was one update then, one since then, and the whole home update.. this always makes sure that you nave the newest fixes, etc.

You are not able to rollback the updates.  You would have to go and get your box echanged for one without the update.

I Plan to Stick Around

I watched a technology update on CNN.  They spoke of how cable companies register what shows your watching and general interests such as sports, news, documentaries etc. and sell this information to whomever.  This was not some paranoid person but rather an expert who spoke of survillance and privacy concerns. 

As for Rogers, I'm new to it.  It's my opinion they charge far too much for what they offer.  All those channels?  Take away the duplicate ones, or sometimes 3 stations showing the same thing, then where's the choice.  I have the VIP and not happy with it.  Nor am I happy with this riduclous 2:00 a.m. upgrades every single night.  We should have the option to opt out.  Keeping track of what their customers are watching?  Strong possibility.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello cheeco111

Everyone knew this from years ago. How else would you think that cable providers know how many house holds are watching a channel? Lets say super bowl or Duck Dynasty. They have said millions watch it because the cable providers can tell who is watching what channel. Its not really a privacy thing as all they do is just see what channel you watch.

You had the choice before you can to Rogers correct? Did you look at the prices Rogers VS other cable providers before you signed up? This is something many do not do & then down the road complain the prices are high. Yes they are high but look at other cable providers. Actually there is no duplicate ones. If you see, most channels are the same BUT are in different cities / countries & its called Time shift.If you want, you can Call Rogers & speak to retentions. Tell them how you feel & they may be able to give you some sort of % off your bill. That is all they can do unless you cancel.

As for the updates. The updates are something all of us have complained about but Rogers has not done anything yet. I would like to say all this tho that none of you noticed at all. Their website goes down at 2am so does their cell towers for a second. I watch this every single night. They whole entire system updates at 2am & not just cable. They most likely did the updates then because they thought most people won't be up & wont bother them yet they are are wrong.

Updates like this you most likely can not opt out of. Remember the updates are NOT only for the box, its for bugs to get fixed, the guide to get new shows / info , the box to get new channels & such. Many things are in the guide which are important.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As well, with the stuff that is passed on.. ALL that is passed on, is #s.

They monitor, that say X many people are watching channel ABC at this time.  That number of users, is passed onto whoever else then. The specific details, say of WHO you are, your account, etc.. none of that is passed on.  If say 50 users out of 100 were recorded as watching that channel, than put them in a linup, you would never be able to tell one vs the other.

ON the channel thing..  Unles its time shifting like meowmix said... any other duplications on shows.. come down to the channel providers.
Rogers makes the deals, to provide channel X, Y and Z.

If those channels choose to get the rights to air the same shows.. then yes, there will be duplication, but that is not something in rogers control.  As well, again unless time shifted (and even then not always exactly).. only some stuff is the same, the WHOLE lineup is often different.

With the update time...  unfortunately, no matter WHEN its done..its going to efect someone Smiley Sad  (night workers, etc).  I do think at least it should be pushed to say 4am-ish time.  While yes, may effect some still.. may effect slightly LESS of the just late late night people.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

As I have said in the past, if the updates were always at 2 am it may be inconvienient, but at least you could try to adjust viewing or recording. Unfortueately the updates can come anytime after midnight. Everytime I record a program using time-shift I do so with my fingers crossed.