Updates to the Navigatr TV Guide - Version 6.6.0.0120

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Updates to the Navigatr TV Guide - Version 6.6.0.0120

@Cooksifiedwrote:

Is there any way to change the Navigatr TV guide font. 

No. See post 31 of this thread.

I've Been Around

In addition to all previous comments regarding the fonts, (I found them too small) now it is very difficult to read any highlighted program because I think the blue is too dark and the white small fonts are not shinning thru.

Changing the color, so we can read that program as before, should be an easy fix! 

I've Been Around

At a first glance, Navigatr Version 6.6.0.0120 on my PVR does seem faster than it has been for ages - yay!

If the new fonts improved the response time of my (puchased) Cisco 8642HD Netbox 2.0, then I am for them.

(They have a "cleaner" look, anyway.)

We shall see how the update pans out, in the fullness of time, though I must say that I still prefer the user interface on my old, Navagtrless Scientific Atlanta PVR (esp. for viewing recorded and scheduled recordings.)

BTW, it would be nice if there was a consolidated, up-to-date Navigatr User Guide somewhere.

Maybe it could even be printable? (for the wife, of course. ;-)

I've Been Around

My daughter has got this font design and size problem on the Rogers Guide and her box in her bedroom

is the Nextbox Explorer 4642HD and the other tv guides on our other 3 tvs do not have this problem.  Is there anything that can be done such as reboot the box or get a new box that will show the old font size and design.    Its like the photo that the man put on this thread.   It looks italic.   It bothers her eye sight and she has trouble reading the guide.

Pamela 

for my daughter, Anne

I'm a Senior Advisor

There is no way as far as we have heard for them to set people on different builds - the changes lie in three component changes in the firmware and software on the box, and since there is no tools to adapt fonts, we are currently stuck with it.

The software that drive the guide is one set of software in side there - unlike the font set on the closed captions, there is a broad choice of font and background reflecting the reality that just because you may have difficulties hearing, you may also have challenges with visual fonts and textures in other places in the product (like the guide).

It appears in reviewing XFinity, a division of Comcast that they have designed the box to have enhanced text readability features in the settings, but given that it appears that the current boxes are limited probably in their memory space and coding such that any change in font impacts performance, I kind of doubt that the box is capable to be programmed to be able to provide flexibility in the font choices and backgrounds given that it appears to be hard coded and a challenge for them to balance readability and performance.

So the new system when it comes will provide for the flexibility of the reality that adjustment of fonts is necessary to meet the varying acceablities not only of those with vision challenges, but also for the reality that vision differs for every person.

That is why browsers have always allowed for text and background and theme changes, to meet ADA which has been in place in the states for about 2 decades now, our own laws are only currently being fully implemented.  By 2025, no company could put out a product with a fixed font, or would have to provide alternatives for those who ask for it.

Unfortunately, in my perspective, and I have been dealing with the font issue concern since they made the changes 3 years ago, I suspect that since it took them about a year to deal with the performance issue on the older boxes, which is about all we can get anymore for basic terminals, they improved the performance at the cost of readability.  We haven't seen this many concerns around font in about 2 years now.

Maybe they will build in code to allow multiple font sizes, but I suspect right at this moment, they are hard coded and from my experience with the boxes and with programming software, the boxes probably don't have the cpu speed and memory capacity to handle flexible fonts.

Having said all that, keep raising the issue, there may be a solution since these boxes will be around for a while.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TeaLady32wrote:

Is there anything that can be done such as reboot the box or get a new box that will show the old font size and design.   

No. See posts 31, 41 of this thread.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wolfer649wrote:

...it would be nice if there was a consolidated, up-to-date Navigatr User Guide somewhere.

See the following link:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone-Knowledge/tkb-p/ResiTKB/label-name/navig...

See also the following "issues" summary.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/202473-cisco-9865-nb3-0-also-nb...

I'm a Senior Advisor

@wolfer649  The only thing I wish to point out is that although you and others may be for the font change to gain performance, there is the reality that it that change interferes with the visual ability to read the fonts when they have a defined disability (if they could read it before the change), then the law says that the font choice has to override performance.

Just highlighting and advocating for those with legitimate visual disabilities who were impacted by the change.  Many changes to fonts were tried to get to the original fonts we saw up until a few weeks ago, there were some who were stil impacted, but very few complaints continued after the last set of changes were made until recently.

This change has its impact mostly on people who have visual acuity that cannot be corrected by lenses but are capable of reading text with an appropriate choice in font and size and background texture, individuals with cataracts in particular in early stages, glaucoma and other issues that impact the ability for a person's eyes to cope with certain text fonts.

This is not something I will debate, it is the law.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

It would be nice to see a resolution or at least a comment from Rogers concerning all of the issues created with this so called upgrade.
I would like to add another problem. when changing channels the box decides to shutdown and restart.
FIX THE FONT!

I've Been Here Awhile

Such a helpful response.