Updates to the Navigatr TV Guide - Version 6.6.0.0120

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Updates to the Navigatr TV Guide - Version 6.6.0.0120

@Chappy08wrote:

...can someone help me or advice me how to switch this awful font.

As discussed in this and other threads, you cannot switch/change the font.  It is not user-selectable.

I've Been Here Awhile

This latest update needs to be fixed fast! The blue colour in the guide bleeds all over the now unreadable font. There was nothing wrong with the font and colour yesterday and today it is totally useless. What is Rogers planning on doing to rectify this mess?

Oh wait this is Rogers, I know the answer is nothing will be done. 

I also see no improvement in deleting recorded programs. It still takes multiple attempts to delete.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry to hear about people with issues on their 8642s.  

I've had the latest firmware (6.6) for a few days now on my two 9865s. Here are my comments:

1. The list/recording functionality is significantly faster.
2. Most programming now seems to have "art" for the tile view. I believe this is better than before when quite a few tiles were blank. Several programmes that I record weekly now have art when they didn't previous to the update. It's visible on both my 9865s.
3. The "are you sure" pop-up to confirm deletion comes up every time now. I used to have to press the delete button twice most times previously.
4. After pressing "confirm", the delete is now so fast that I sometimes wonder whether the programme has been deleted, but it has. I can get used to the better response times though.  😉

I'll see if I note anything else in the future.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I will acknowledge the performance improvement, but...

When it comes to font visibility, and readability/clarity, if it impacts people with visual impairments, there is the whole issue equity for people with disabilities.

The only legal reason that a company is permitted to refuse to make accommodations for those with visual disabilities is that it would create undue cost for the company, and I doubt that would hold up.  It rarely does in most cases I have reviewed over the years.  With my own disabilities, and family members with disabilities, we are all very conscious of obligations.

We went through all this issue back when they first implemented the Navigatr.  Do we who are impacted in our ability to be accommodated for our disabilities have to start all over again with raising concerns to Rogers, then to CRTC and CCTC, and OADA and other legislations as applicable in other provinces.

So I appreciate the "sorry", but under the law, it is incumbent on all citizens and companies that we go beyond sympathy to accommodation.

I appreciate the efforts of Rogers on this change and the improved performance, but they still have to address everyone of the concerns that are raised, and if they decline, they deal with an AODA review.

Thanks for always letting us know about the changes in TV product through your careful testing on your own products.

I am not worrying about it at this time, I don't really use the guide that much, I just put the number in for the channels that I want, but for others that impacts, do put your concern forward formally, allowing Rogers to respond to your concern under the framework of Ontario law and then you can decide how you want to proceed.

It is comparable to saying to someone in a wheel chair - it is only a small step - that is not for the owner of the step to judge, that is for the person in the wheelchair to judge whether than one small step is a restriction to their ability to access the service.

Bruce 

I Plan to Stick Around

@HiHoSilverwrote:

When cancelling an upcoming episode of a series recording, it looks like it's cancelled ... but often it records anyway (or, if you come back later to the list of scheduled recordings, it once again shows as scheduled).  I have not yet been able to find if there's a pattern as to which ones stay cancelled and which ones come back from the dead.  This did not happen before the new firmware.

I also have this bug.  What seems to happen is that it refreshes overnight.  And any recording that was previously cancelled is reinstated.

Just so you understand why it's an issue, here's how I sometimes use my PVR.

Some tv shows don't seem to reliably set "new" or not, so for those shows I say "record all episodes".  For a lot of shows this means that the show is scheduled 2-5 times in the week.  Every couple of days, I look at my scheduled recordings and delete the unneeded ones.  And I can do that up to a week in advance.  Since the upgrade, I've found that my cancelled recordings are reinstated every night, and so I have to repeat the process each morning for the day's programming.  And sometimes to delete a previously cancelled recording from the early morning.

I think I may switch my scheduled recordings to new only, where possible.  Although that has failed often enough in my experience.

I may record at one particular time (though with the shows shifting starting times from 9:00 to 9:01 and such that may be a problem too.)

Anyways, there are certainly workarounds, but hopefully the bug can be fixed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gjdj & @HiHoSilver : Have either of you tried rebooting the box since the firmware upgrade or since you noticed this behaviour (deleted airings of a series recording coming back to life)?  Sometimes there may be a glitch in the download of the firmware, rather than a real "bug" in the firmware.  Try a reboot and see if it still happens.  Which model do you have (9865 or 8642?)

I also sometimes delete a single airing of a series because I also rarely trust the "New" modifier, but I haven't had a need to do so since the update and I also have a 9865, not an 8642.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I tested the above and also have the issue on my 9865:  If you have a series recording set up, but delete a single recording from the series, that recording will come back to life after a day or so...Not good.

Highlighted

Hello @57@gjdj & @HiHoSilver 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I prefer to keep my PVR as organized as possible so I can relate to you wanting to avoid duplicate recordings.

It sounds like the most recent update has caused the series recording programming to be more diligent in ensuring the series recording parameters for any specific program is upheld, even if you've deleted it yourself in advance. My guess is that it is doing it on a nightly basis now but I am speculating at this point.

We've brought this to the attention of our Second Level of support to investigate. In the meantime, to avoid duplicate recordings it would be best to avoid setting up multiple series recordings for the same program.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersTonywrote:

Hello @57@gjdj & @HiHoSilver 

It sounds like the most recent update has caused the series recording programming to be more diligent in ensuring the series recording parameters for any specific program is upheld, even if you've deleted it yourself in advance. My guess is that it is doing it on a nightly basis now but I am speculating at this point.  

@RogersTony :  Thank you for your post and for forwarding our concerns.

I believe that rather than "diligence", what has possibly happened is that the line or two of code that kept track of the (individual) deleted episodes of a series has been removed, so that the "basic series commands" are carried out (and reinforced each night) without "remembering" that you wished to not record individual future instances.  Pure conjecture on my part, but it makes sense.

Just as an FYI, it's not only multiple series recordings where this applies, but also for a single scheduled series recording where the identical programme may air several times during a day or week.  If the "new" modifier worked properly, it wouldn't be necessary to use the "all episode" option, however, the "new" modifier is often missing, or often appears on the second/third airing of the programme...  It's a "no win" that we try to work around.

At least an additional recording that can be deleted is better than a missed recording...

I've Been Around

Is there anyway to change the Navigatr TV guide font. The Navigatr TV guide recently updated and I dislike the font.

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats