Update while recording

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Update while recording

Has anyone experienced and update being done while they were recording a program?Last week I scheduled a show to record from 12 am to 1 am.  Tonight when I was watching it there was there was a 10-15 min.  missing in the middle of the show.  There was nothing but a blank light blue screen, then the show returned.  It was not a big deal because fortunately is was a show I could pick up on On Demand. 

I just want to know if it was my PVR  or if it is a risky idea to schedule a recording after midnight. 

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Update while recording

You likely just got unlucky - it certainly has nothing to do with the time of day. 

If it happens regularly then you have a technical problem with your set-up - old PVR firmware, HD needing defraging, poor feed reception of that channel - again, nothing to do with the time of day.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actualy it might have to do with the time of day.  Depending on the area, which PVR, etc..  the 8642 with the new IPG, tends to do its updates in the 12-3am EST window... so it COULD be this reboot that was effecting it.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This should be recorded as a bug in the firmware ... in no way should an update interfere with a (scheduled) recording.

You would think the tech exists so that the firmware can get pushed out to the PVR, but not installed until there is an appropriate window of time to do so...

Thanks GDKitty.  I do have the 8642 HDPVR.  I have been avoiding recording anything from 2-3am thinking that is when the updates are usually done,, but lately have noticed updates starting anytime after 1am.  Hopefully, the timing of updates will  not be this early on a regular basis as I like to pick up the west coast feed.

For now I will just wait and see if it happens again and keep my fingers crossed that it was a one time thing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, that IS the regular, at least at this time 😞

If that is the case (12-3am EST) it make time shifting a bit of a useless feature.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

well for a show that airs 9-11 eastern, yeah, makes it tough to time shift some of them.

anything else that airs any other time of the day should be ok

I'm an Enthusiast

An awful lot of people record shows while they sleep. This is common knowledge. Most people are sleeping during the hours these updates are being performed. Who was the genius that decided to allow the updates to interfere with recording? Is it possible to record programmes with a VCR hooked up to the HD Converter?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No matter when they did it, it would effect SOMEONE.
Obviously couldn't do it evenings, that's the busiest period. Daytime you would effect people who work from home/stay at home parents.
Likely this was chosen I would guess, that it statistically is the LEAST at that time? Other than the ocassionl movie, most of my recordings are day/evening.

Can you record stuff on a VCR hooked up to it? Yes, you could record any of the output (pvr playback, etc) that way. Or even just use a regular HD box , then record, but you have to manually tune to the channel, no scheduling, etc.
the regular HD boxes have the same overnight updates/restarts.