Update Problems 8642

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Update Problems 8642

Our 8642 (Nextbox 2.0, I'm told) hasn't been working since Tuesday AM. It stalls on what I presume is an attempt to update the box. Support provides the same response each time I call, which is every 24hrs: "It is a network issue and we are working on it." -- end of story. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Apparently this is affecting a lot of users...so, I'm told. I've been credited for 7 days (the support person added an extra two days, which shows how confident they are in finding a solution.)

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Update Problems 8642

yeah, its a known issue.. but its not global.

Its likely the .130 firmware update being pushed out...

There are SOME users which get it just fine (myself for example)... and there are many others that have had your issue as well..

Seems like some areas get it fine.. and others have issues Smiley Sad

I'm Here A Lot

I noticed my 8642 was downloading an update about 2 days ago. Now it's just stuck in H and D counting mode...Rogers this morning says they know about it. The non-PVR HD box and other digital boxes work but my PVR is out of service.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have the 8642 and have recieved the .130 software update ... so what's new in this update?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Notice a few changes in the recording playback parts.. just how the menu reacts/where it goes after a recording.. changed some menu item order i think on a few.

Some people had said, there was something with SUGESTIONS comming up after a recording, etc.. but i havent seen that part yet.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I guess I must have gotten that update a week or so ago because I have been noticing that there are now suggestions of similar programs after the recording. Fortunately I have not encountered any problem since the update to my 8642 HDPVR so I guess it must have just caused problems in certain areas.
I'm Here A Lot

Greetings. Have a Cisco Explorer 8642 HD which i purchased more than a few years back. Added a Seagate GoFlex 1TB Extender in 2012.

My experience with this update:

- Loss of live pause and rewind.

- Can't record any program while it is on (ie: you turn on a show part way and still want to record some of it).

- Frequently will not record shows setup in advance.

- Record series no longer works.

- get a "More like this" addition to some menus but this has been missing the last few days in favour of "unable to connect".

What still works:

- My Recordings (anything recorded before update) still pauses, ffwds, deletes etc.

- All the channels I subscribe to.

- Guide, settings, etc.

- PVR GoFlex Extender 1TB

Called Rogers last weekend and was told a tier 2 tech would be calling but hasn't yet. Noticed a series of d/loads. Naturally have tried the cold unplug reboot several times waiting about 10 minutes after each before turning anything on.

What i DID find out. A cold boot with the Extender unplugged/detached puts the 8642 functions of live TV, pause and record a program working again. Plugged the Extender back in and the original problems came back.

Am hoping to get home intime to give them a call this week before there office hours are closed. Otherwise it's the weekend. So, any help here would be appreciated!

Cheers Smiley Happy

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your replies. No service to the PVR yet. I reboot the box a few times/day and call tech support once a day to get an update, which hasn't varied from the "it's a network issue and we're working on it." response. I'm not sure whether the PVR is toast. Is that a possibility? How would I know? I asked about this and they said a new PVR may not resolve the issues. It's currently stuck on the code: H111. After reading Bottomsup message not sure if I even want to do the update.

Anyways, getting slowly used to not watching TV, although, I know I can just plug the cable directly into the TV, if I really wanted to. Maybe I'll just drop cable service altogether, like a lot of young people I know.

I'm Here A Lot

Ummm ... typically a representative of the interested and accounbtable org would have moderators reply to posts after a reasonable period of time. Have been keeping this thread alive on my pc and not searching threads anymore (as I have already spent sometime doing).

I appreciate greatly a community that allows users to help users. Just wondering if there is a Rogers presence here. Thanks Smiley Happy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are moderators yes.. but no, they do not often come in and reply on threads.

its not what the forums were designed for, more user to user interations.

If a user needs help, they are best to contact rogers directly, via Phone, Live chat.. or even FB or twitter.