US Channels being Swapped for Canadian Channels.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

US Channels being Swapped for Canadian Channels.

Where are the US Channels that I'm paying for? Do I get a discount for Canadian substitution?

According to the services & Channel Listings that I'm subscribed to and PAYING for...why do I get end up seeing the Global network on my CBS Channel, and CTV on my ABC Channel, even on the Timeshifting?  I'm paying and personally choosing to view a US Channel, NOT a CTV or GLOBAL!  This is 'false advertising' as your switching networks and 'forcing' me to view a network that I don't choose to watch.  I subscribed to Rogers US Timeshifting for US Channels - why is my paid subscription offering me Canadian channels instead?  I'm PAYING to see a program, advertising and commercials on MY CHOICE of the channels that is provided.  Seems like I'm getting CDN Channelswapping instead of US Timeshifting. US is in the title, keep the US in the service. TELUS25 offers their cable users to view the US channels without them switching to a Canadian network.  Or at least provide discount for not offering 100% of what you should be offering the customer.  AL2020

*** Edited Labels/Title ***

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: US Channels being Swapped for Canadian Channels.

Your problem isn't with Rogers, it's with the CRTC.

What you're describing is called "simsubbing". When a Canadian and American network are showing the same show, the CRTC mandates that the Canadian feed is injected into the American feed.

From Wikipedia, ”According to the CRTC, the practice of simultaneous substitution is necessary "to protect the rights of broadcasters, to enable television stations to draw enough advertising revenue and to keep advertising money in the Canadian market"

This isn't a new practice...it's been around since the 70's.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Then how does my neighbor, on Telus Optik TV subscribtion, get to watch US Channels without the swap?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@AL2020  You are getting exactly the same content, just with Canadian commercials substituted per CRTC rules. What's the obsession with wanting to watch U.S. commercials?  It doesn't matter to me because I seldom watch live TV and skip through the commercials. The only beef I have is when I record 60 Minutes on CBS and they substitute the CHCH feed and mess up the beginning.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I cant speak for Telus, and I'm not a complete expert on the intricacies of simsubbing, but if the channel requests a simsub, Rogers has to comply, bottom line.