Concerns me too, but I am hoping that they are well on the way, and willing to pay the costs to get through the mess of the realities of changing suppliers and technology on this one. I have been there in my own personal experience.
Whatever happens, they are going to have to respond if they want to avoid a dramatic increase in their already falling revenues, costs, and falling customer numbers on cable and home phone. Only bundling and very cheap phone price keeps that number from falling further, and increasing prices on those of us who stay keeps the revenue for the whole company at least flatlined and able to still pay dividends to shareholders.
So I believe that they will pull it together if they want to stay as a player in one of their first business - cable. Each of us has our reasons why we hang on, but we also see that many on this board and other media forums, and social media that there are many just packing it in.
For now, I am hoping that as they pull the last of the information on the issues of useability as well as bugs that they dive in deep, pay the costs required and get it right, or at least as right as they can get it. No software or hardware is ever perfect, in particular because we the consumers keep asking for and expecting more, which is driven to us via the competition and ads of who is the first, the best, who has the most features, etc, along with the feel good ads of how good our lives would be to be able to just take two clicks to delete the whole series and get out and help with the gardening. In my case, my wife would be happy if I wasn't on this board at all, and the interesting thing, is the bundled services ad still shows the old interface the red and black one. Watch the ad closely and you will notice that one.
In my case, my wife keeps banning me, and I ban myself too, because I deal with frustration by trying to understand, so I go digging, and sometimes I unfortunately get answers that make both me and you nervous.
I continue to hope and do believe that they have the information coming to one single location and that with the will there is a way to get us to a solution that satisfies most of us and we can all move on. If not, once the contract runs out, I may be gone too.
I continue to dream.
There has been a number of attempts to create those very types of threads, but they have never gone anywhere.
But maybe your idea of a cash incentive would get us to do the work of getting the ideas over there to one thread, that the mods only allow solutions and work arounds, or identification of those things that there seems to be no solution to, and move the rants and complaints to this thread.
I have always said that is Rogers job, and it looks like that is true for many, but we have at least about 10 people who have kindly compiled the issue. Maybe those who know how to do those links easily could put the links into the thread that was created about a week ago for a place to put solutions.
I am not sure why you can't link to those locations, but I will be honest, I haven't figured out how to do it as with many things on this board, but that is another rant.
At least the Rogers's mods let you create a link to your posts. I don't have enough cred to do even that. Maybe the Resident Experts (gdkitty or old yellar) could start the "Navigatr Tips and Tricks" thread, then contributers can add their helpful hints until this awful mess is sorted out. It takes a lot of extra time to go through all these comments and extra emails just to find answers to specific problems. None of us are being paid for this either, so anyone who leaves a comment on the UPDATED NextBox Navigatr thread should get $100 credit on their next bill. Please don't like this comment - I already have 28 emails to left to read, and I already have my like badge from Rogers. 🙂
I spent this morning taking some pictures of the many screens on the new guide.
I am tied up for the next day or so here, but sun eve through mon i hope to put together a GUIDE, with pictures, etc.
I hope to at the start get a few others from here (@57, etc) and their input on what i have so far.
Then obviously others can add to it. (and HOPEFULLY keep it as a GUIDE/HOW TO, and not COMPLAINTS in it.)
Then post it.
So it may be a few days before I can get it posted 😞
In the mean time, Anyone who DOES have any specific tips/tricks, etc they want to make sure are added, please be sure to PM me and i will do my best to fit them in the apropriate spot.
On first impression I am not a fan of the new format. There are not enough filters in it and so you cannot tell between shows already recorded and future recordings. The fast forward feature is good as it is faster. I feel this format needs to be tweeked a little more to become more friendly and informative.
I will certainly conribute by giving feedback or suggestions, and anything that comes to mind that you may have not got. This is a great initiative on your part and the committment to it is fantastic.
Maybe you can get someone to moderate it to strip out anything other than instruction (i.e, sarcasm, comparing to past versions, rants) They belong in bigger thread.
And maybe start the thread off with your own set of terms on what the content should be. If it is clear with it then immediately following with a few of your first examples, then if a moderator would agree, then anything outsides Tips and Tricks with no commentary or critiques, just a solid instructional topic, would be considered off topic for sure. Keep the clear instructions and edit out the off topic rants and critiques. Just a thought, because I am not sure how to keep the rants out.
It may be pictorial like you are planning, or it could be bullet point step by step start to finish.
And a suggestion, put a title at the top underlined with bigger font - allowing commenters to refer back to the post with title and post number, or link if people know how to do that.
Maybe after we get a solid set of these topics, then a second thread could be developed providing recommendations/requests for changes or improvements and then possibly Rogers can respond to them and say, maybe, yes in a future build, not possible as it is outside the specs of the software being used. But let's keep the recommendations for change out of the how to's. Of course recommendations can be made, but keep them out of the how to posts.
It is like asking a Microsoft product to be an Apple - they can approximate it as they have for years, but they can't do it exactly like an Apple, and that is ok. Some platforms are better for some tasks (like in general, Microsoft is the most used and most copied business platform. Each chosen software design and foundation has strengths and limitations, so I don't expect that every request can be met as some of them may not even be possible.
But for now, to close and stay on topic - let's go for a clean well developed instructional tips, like an FAQ or knowledge base, or tutorials, leave the rants to this thread, and maybe also develop a recommendations/looking for/improvements, much like most software companies have.
I know there are many on this forum are capable and if you can't do pictures, but can do text instructions, that is fine, a second person who can add pictures and build on it could put out a revised version.
Great idea, Bruce
So if Navigatr is supposed to be a "upgrade" and so much better then can someone from Rogers please tell me how to:
1) get the info banner with the time left on a current live tv show
2) how to get the current time of day while watching live TV
3) how to start watching a show that is in the process of recording before the recording is finishe (is Navigatr really bringing us back to VCR technoligy)
4) when watching a recording how to bring up the elapsed time
5) when watching a recording how to check the info on the program without having to stop the recording and go back to the stupid nav interface then resume playing
6) how to check scheduled shows while watching TV or a recorded show
7) how to check what channel a recorded show or a show scheduled to record is on
These are just a few of the simple common things I did regularly with the nextbox interface before Rogers forced this navigatr on us and tried to call it a "upgrade" when clearly it's just taken away all the useful functions we used to have and given us a very limited interface with about the same level of technology as a VCR
I have only had Navigatr for a week and it seems to work , not great, but ok. I did not see anything really wrong with the previous system. ( I have a NB 3 but not whole home)
Then I see the post above specifically this one
3) how to start watching a show that is in the process of recording before the recording is finished
You can't do that? I and I'm sure many others record shows and carefully start to watch the recording after 10-15 minutes so that one can skip most of the ads. I guess the effect will be that people will just record the show and not watch any ads at all.
To answer your questions:
1) Press the INFO button on the remote control. The channel banner includes time the program started, and the time it will end...but not how many minutes are left in the current program.
2) To get the current time, press GUIDE on the remote control. Check out the video preview window (top-right) - the current time is displayed.
3) Press LIST button on the remote and open (the tile of) the program that has started recording (but not yet finished). Press UP arrow, then RIGHT arrow to highlight the "Scheduled" tab. Scroll down and click "Watch".
4) There is no easy way to view the elapsed time when watching a recording. You can start playing the content, then press the PAUSE button on the remote. A progress bar appears at the bottom of the screen, with a white dot denoting the current position in the recording. The number on the right side of the progress bar is the time remaining. I would love to see this information in the "info" bar.
5) You cannot view the details of a recorded item without being kicked back to the "Recordings" screen. Not sure why the info banner (seen when pressing 'info' on live TV) does not appear.
6) You can press the LIST button on the remote control to access the "Recordings" screen. When watching live TV, you will continue hearing audio but see no picture. When watching pre-recorded content, it will stop (pause). I don't know why recorded content needs to stop - leave that choice up to the user and treat it as live (let it play in the background while you manage recordings and content).
7) The channel number content was recorded from does not appear until you begin playing the recorded content (see top-left). I agree this is silly and must be addressed in the next software update.
Anyone else getting pixelation with ROD on NB3 with Navigatr?
Happened while watching a show last night. Thought it was likely a fluke. Then it happened again today while watching another show on ROD. I was ready to watch another 1/2 show we missed and wife says "I can't watch any more shows like this". So we watched something else that we had recorded.
Never had any issues with ROD on RTN guide.