UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Yeah.. you would think, at least the PVR box, should have some capability to log.. (even if its a turn on when just needed thing).
(I can understand why the non pvr boxes may not, since they do not have any internal storage)

I Plan to Stick Around

Well the Navigatr saga continues. y email account is flooded with everyones updates and concerns. I am unable to manage searches and find anything in these forums anymore.  I have started using my Ipad and an Anyplace App to view and manage my PVR because of all the shortcomings with Navigatr function. My latest issue is with the information on scheduled recordings. After figuring out how to view my scheduled recodings

(Green button/C button/down/down/down/left/up/up//ok

Wow there they are I finally made it. Fingers are sore but we are there.

Deep breath, and I can see there are multiple programs with the same tile. Hit enter to find info and arghhhhh doesn't tell me what time/channel basic info that anyone who has a PVR is looking for. In frustration I decided to hit reply to all the 120 community forum messages and send them to Rogers and post a complaint on My Rogers again. I received a callback message on my first complaint but was unable to completly understand it because of accent issues. The jist of it stated that Rogers was indeed taking these issues very seriously and forum information was being sent to the powers that be. In the Interim I am using an Anyplace TV App on my Ipad to manage my PVR recorded and scheduled recorded shows. Keep up the pressure. Last year I migrated all my online contact info away from Rogers.com emailnfo to Gmail. I suggest we all do that and then your internet provider can be the one who provides the best function/price/performance as it should be.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @popaoz,

Yes, this bug is extermely annoying (and galling) considering the amount of money we have/are investing in the hardware and service ($599 to purchase, $24.95 per month for PVR).

As I stated elsewhere, I actually created a spreadsheet to track my recordings...and to help me delete and re-schedule the recordings of all my shows.  A good PVR interface should PREVENT you from creating something like that, not force you to it!

I am hopeful that Rogers is listening to all our comments, complaints and frustrations.  I also hope that this situation improves soon, if only for the collective sanity of everyone on here! Smiley Happy

I'm a Senior Advisor

Wilbur - thanks for joining the forum and adding the viewpoint of a "new" navigtr user or maybe an older one who finally became aware of the forum and upon seeing the issues, just had to add to it.

The more new people come on stream with concerns, the more Rogers "may" actually take it seriously.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

For those who have followed the deep investigation of the changing roles and ownership of Espial, Ant, VideoScape, Technicolor, and Cisco,

Here is an interesting set of documents, messages on end of life of our current builds from Cisco on our boxes version 3.0

I haven't done a full analysis of it, my mind isn't clear enough to follow all the dates, timelines, and changes, but it would appear that Rogers, as with all companies using the nextbox were looking at an end of life, support, bug fix dates first published by Cisco, pre technicolor purchase of videoscape dated Sept 13, 2014.  The update we currently see on the 3.0 version dated November  is 6 months prior to the end of bug fix requests date of March 31, 2016.  I am not sure if these redesigns to interface with Cisco, and don't know if Technicolor is in play yet, and the interface with Espial would be considered bug fixes, some I am sure someone had to pay big time to get either a third party, along with copyright use rights to API's and requested changes to the current 3.0 build, and time is running out for any support from Cisco for changes to the current builds of the Input/Output firmware associated with the tuners, inputs, outputs to TV's and PVR and additional PVR addon hard drives - basically like your computer before you put an operating system and interfaces to hardware devices onto your device.  So let's get everything we want on the table, because my interpretation of the documents from other companies say that there is some critical drop dead dates going on here at the moment.

Links to documents: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/video/videoscape-distribution-suite-television/eos-...

Cisco Videoscape Distribution Suite for Television End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Videoscape Distribution Suite for Television (VDS-TV) Content Delivery Application Software Releases 2.5, 3.0, 3.1, and 3.3

This is both the software that distributes the media to our boxes on the Rogers head end, as well as the API's and related software used by other software interfaces on the box.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/headend/DNCS/RTN_3-X/OL-26409-01.pdf

This is the related documentation on the client side of 3.0 which is what sits on our boxes.

Now for me, I have put forward just about everything I can think of, people like @57 and others have put together very good lists of the first build, second build and we are actually in the third build now.

I just thought I would add another little kernal to the mystery of how could Rogers have ever done this - It still doesn't take them off the hook - At a minimum, tell us that some unexpected changes in the industry and providers has occurred that has impacted our ability to rollout what we hoped would be a significant improvement in your viewing experience placing us in a strong position to move to IPTV services, as well as traditional cable services, continued improvement in video storage amounts, increasing how many shows you can record at one time and to save more, and taking advantage of all the future new and coming improvements in the industry.

Please provide us with as much detail on what needs to be changed in the build you just received which will allow us to integrate these options in as we firm up the changes from the industry as a whole.

We would at least know more about what was going on.  But I also know that who wants to own up to a mess, even if it was caused by unexpected things that will take time to respond to.

It is becoming less of a mystery each day and the fact that they have decided that they want us to send our input and ideas to the forum and will be using them to move forward is a step forward beyond, we are listening and working to improve your viewing experience while we suffer through the current messes.

The journey continues, and yes, new people keep coming on and providing your feedback, even if it has been said before.  These threads are so long, the issues almost need to be repeated, because things get lost, but hopefully Rogers has now committed to summarizing the issues to move their teams forward, I hope they also provide us an FAQ of what issues are there and what items they are going to take on at this moment - to take them on all in one pass would be a huge undertaking - taking 5 months like the last one.

So I will keep reading, occassionaly pop in, I will count on others to do summaries if they like (that is not one of my strengths), big pictures has always been my strength - there in lies why I keep digging the internet to find clues of what happened.

Take care, have a good weekend, and do keep posting, and please Rogers take this first step at communicating how you would like to go forward to work with these issues and keep us in the loop.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Wow. 26 hours!  I had a runaway recording too.   4 hr 42 min before we noticed it.   

People need to check the windows, doors, lights, alarm system and now the Rogers PVR before going to bed. :-)

My wife's advice was:  "pull the plug on the thing if it is still recording after 11 pm"  

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, on one occassion I had a recording that was almost 3 days in length.  The box had frozen, so when we rebooted, we noticed that while we were away the storage had increased from around 30% to 89%.  Then had to go digging tiles to find the recording - actually did get to watch the original show, no future ones recorded, then deleted it. It took a while to fully delete, and then we rebooted again, just for good measure - building a whole set of superstitious behaviours - like a golfer and their waggles, or basefall players at the plate and the pitcher and catcher who do the most kicking, rubbing hands, bats, step up, step back, etc, where different socks, because intermittently something works and so they keep doing it, and continually adding to it, except in golf where you will get nailed with delay of play if you take too long.

Now my wife and go looking for recordings in progress if we see the red recording light on, and get paranoid when we don't see red dots, and when we see a set recording, or know there should be a recording and there is no light on. Go to Anyplace Tv for good measure, and if you get real paranoid of what is going on, let it run for say an hour or two incase there is something you really did plan to record, then shut it down, reboot, go back in and look for the recording, and either save it knowing that it is long - kind of like dealing with any shows after the super bowl this Sunday, or the NBA and NHL all star games, or American caucas results, you just set it to record longer, like say 3 hours.

Ahh, I am turning into a superstitious paranoid maniac, all from a box. Not only can it not improve our viewing pleasure, it also can't keep our sanity.

Bruce

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Tried that and it did work - thanks.

Interesting comparison with Windows - although I'd have added early XP to the list. I have been a Mac user for over 7 years now - the constant reboot, blue screen of death and other idiocies drove me away from Microsoft's products. Rogers can draw their own conclusions from that.
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow!
BS...You are really concerning us now with the limitations that Rogers has to fix the bugs given the precarious and disappearing support from Cisco and other associated hardware and software companies
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@57 wrote:

Here's a link that contains summary, tips, etc:   I suppose I could make this into one long post when I have a lot of time. The link already represents many hours of my (unpaid) time.  If I posted this elsewhere, I'm sure Rogers' mods would very likely move the post to this thread.  Smiley Wink

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

At least the Rogers's mods let you create a link to your posts.  I don't have enough  cred  to do even that.  Maybe the Resident Experts (gdkitty or old yellar) could start the "Navigatr Tips and Tricks" thread, then contributers can add their helpful hints until this awful mess is sorted out. It takes a lot of extra time to go through all these comments and  extra emails just to find answers to specific problems. None of us are being paid for this either, so anyone who leaves a comment on the UPDATED NextBox Navigatr thread should get $100 credit on their next bill. Please don't like this comment - I already have 28 emails to left to read, and I already have my like badge from Rogers.  :-)