UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

One odd feature I noticed recently - if you set your display on the box to show channels on change channels and otherwise current time, it flicks so fast past the channel, you can't see it.

Anyone else experience that?

Bruce

Comment on the closing of the last thread - I guess at some point, we will have a new thread of version 3 (I hope, because there are no shortage on ongoing concerns).

And it is good to go back to the other thread and see what issues were not dealt with, but I like you can't make it through all the posts, but I think they have all been captured in this thread.

Now, question, we know they listened to the last thread and responded to some issues, and ignored some - as for Tiles - that is the Espial programming model, so I suspect we are stuck with them. 

In a conference video presentation by Espial, they showed the box and emphasized that it was designed for IPTV primarily, but back in 2013 http://www.espial.com/espial-cisco-showcase-multiscreen-app-at-the-cable-show-2013/ it can be seen that Espial was doing work with Cisco 9800 set top boxes.  But in the interim, Cisco was working with ANT (subsequently bought by Espial), and Videoscape, which is still under the Cisco name on our current boxes, but technicolour has taken over all set top control and interface features.

So I suspect Rogers was ok going with Espial because they had proven to be able to work with Cisco, then Cisco pulled out of the set top business, so any work of integrating RTN (interface of Espial Navigtr in the case of Rogers) with Cisco and Vidoscape is now up in the air.  Who knows where Videoscape is going.  There is an upgrade of the Cisco base software and Vidoscape in this box as can be seen in the components in November, released in December with Espial's software builds in December, then a new build of Espial loads in January - when the power saving feature disappeared.

So who know where things are going next and whether this current model will be the next rollout since the current box is Nextbox 3 and 4 (no PVR) with 2 being legacy and many issues remaining for the 2 and the PVR restrictions.  Guess it depends upon what direction technicolour decides to take will then determine the final outcomes. Cisco without the two others is just a tuner and router with a PVR built in.  The two software companies makes it all work together, at least in theory.

Maybe another 5 months depending upon what Cisco and Technicolour decides.

It is important to note, that in a presentation by Espial, they focussed on IPTV, no discussion of PVR because a pure IPTV model with back end video servers, which is where Cisco is placing their emphasis, does not require a PVR - it has cloud storage of shows depending upon licencing.  This is why Bell can go back to previous days of missed shows, without need for video on demand or PVR storage of those shows.  For people who live on temporary storage of shows, they probably won't need to a PVR.

And in the presentation, Espial never even mentioned legacy cable set top boxes, the moderator at the end, reminded him to mention that they can make it compatible to run on legacy boxes - so I am sure Espial wants to move to their boxes, full IPTV and away from Cisco.

All theorizing, but the reporting from the companies financials and conference presenations, sort of suggest something like this or some variation.

As I have said often, time will tell.

Finally, the last thread was over 1600 messages with many removed do to being outside of terms of use, and this one is now around 700.

Wonder how many posts there will be before the build is final, final.  From my point of view, every Rogers user with these builds is now full 2nd version beta testers.

And let's keep in mind all the other threads that relate such as CC, freezing, Anyplace TV interface, whole home TV and others - the list of issues is still long.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Oh one thing I ran into the other night - the box began to slow down to a dead crawl, and buttons on the remote were randomly kicking me back to live screen from where I was - I couldn't move through tiles.

I was able to get to settings, so I reset the box and it cleared it up.  Kind like the old days of computers where we used to say reboot your computer every week to clear routines from memory storage that begin to conflict with other routines or create conflicting memory addresses.

So I reboot my box once a week now.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

We had a 1 hour program scheduled to tape at 3 pm today.  It continued taping for 4 hrs: 42mins.  We ended the taping session for the program, but the screen for the program stayed on the screen. EXIT would not return to the normal screen mode.  Even turning the Cable Box off didn't work. The YES-NO screen to end programming came back when we turned the TV back on.   We had to unplug and reboot. 

What is going on with this new Navigatr Guide software?  

I'm a Senior Advisor

@park  Now who's dreaming - it used to be me accused of dreaming.

But Rogers could show some honourable behaviour by doing just what you have asked for.  Take @57 's wonderful summaries, turn them into an FAQ and then identify all items they intend to work on in the next version to come - so that we can all easily get at the work arounds, because unfortunately, this thread cannot serve that need, as the last thread couldn't either.  The last one had too many issues, and was filled with lots of our concerns and all our rants.

This thread has less issues, but still many, some functionality that you could only figure out by trial and error, or a good FAQ, or 57's summaries that are also getting lost every time we post again.  It is time for Rogers to step up and say, ok we have completed our beta testing first on a small group in July, and now on all of you.  We intend to ..... fill in the blanks.

Our apologies for having imposed this great level of frustration and inconvience ultimately on all customers, but we had no choice to move forward with the box in July and then December due to .... fill in the blanks.

We will be closely working with the partner companies, who are currently in transition, to develop a user friendly and intuitive interface so that we can move forward to provide the improved viewing experience we hoped would have happened when we began to go forward with the new companies.

In the meantime, the major competitor is pumping out ads on the benefits of their service, their IPTV, and everything they can do.  Let's keep in mind that the company involved started in 2010.  Hopefully Rogers can catch up quickly now that they have such an excellent list of customer usability experience data.

See I can dream too.

Bruce

I've Been Around

We've lost at least two important features with the new navigatr TV guide: you can no longer start watching a program while it is taping on the PVR - you have to wait until the program is finished; and second, if you press 'info' tab on the remote control while watching a program, a taped show pauses and disappears from the screen - you have to back out of it to get the program back on. The old guide was much easier to use and offered far more options for managing taped programs. I hope this one can be improved.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your second point is correct... that it pauses it.. no clue as to why.

But the first one, you CAN start something that is still recording.

Lets say CSI is recording right now.  You want to start watching it.
Press list, and find your tile/folder for CSI.
When you go into it, it should be on your list of RECORED items.  But its not there yet, right?
It now doesnt appear on the recorded list, until its DONE.

But you can still start watching it.
You can go up and move over to the scheduled tab.  This should show your current recording that is happening for it.
On it, there should be an option to watch!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

This problem was baffling.  We tried to tape a 30 minute program but it said it was already scheduled to tape.  In the scheduled list of recordings it did not appear.   So, we waited for the time of the “scheduled” recording and it didn’t start taping. We had to unplug and reboot, and then it started to tape.   We lost the first 10 minutes of the program.

What happens to cause this problem?  

I have had to unplug and reboot more often than in the past.  Is this a case of shipping software with bugs in it?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even on previous firmware, i have heard of people having the ocassional runaway recording.. 

Yours is the first specific person i have heard happen so far on Navigatr...

Would guess this is the same bug.. not navigatr specific?

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, Spoiler. These are some of the same issues I have. Take a look at BS's comments below and you can imagine the circus of goings on that are happening at Rogers. They are behind due to commitments to Espial and what they have. Bell is miles ahead now working with Cloud storage.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks BS for your insight. Looks like Rogers is in a state of confusion on this issue and systems and that Bell is already ahead of the game with Cloud storage.