UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

While i am sure they would love to.. the moderators here are NOT programmers and couldnt fix the issue anyways 😛

Generally, most of them man the @CommunityHelps as well, and do try to fix other things, like account related problems, and things that can be fixed in that aspect.
Vs stuff like the navigatr needs to be fixed by the engineers/programmers.

I'm a Senior Contributor

ANOTHER FINE FEATURE FOUND!

This feature relates to the searches: (But I am sure it can be applied to other anomalies I keep falling over).

Wanted to watch a topic: Searching returned the usual elusive BOXES (with minimal, if any information)

Row 2, after the returned BOXES jumped at me (as I tried to explain in another post: The search result boxes are hard to keep track of as it is (IMO) but being confused by nature, I get even more confused by the boxes MOVING) ---

BUT, back to the latest feature I have found:

The 3rd BOX in the 2nd row was a repeat of the 1st BOX in the 2nd row (but I did not realize this since there was no hint of this on the BOXES returned by the search) So I unfortunately clicked it and I stopped it and when I realized I had already seen it as BOX 1)

I INADVERTANTLY found it (and clicked it again), I had 3 choices: (I thought)

1. RESUME (or whatever it is)
  2. RESTART
  3. CANCEL

The NB 3 would not follow ANY of the above with ANY of my remote(S), but in the darkened background, it was going through all the other BOXES on the search results!

EXIT did not work.

When EXIT finally did work, I lost the search results.

Tried again: and the situation repeated itself (no response by the NB 3 to any of the remoteS’ commands)

But lots more activity in the background again! The background was only partially viewable - It was mostly blocked by the [RESUME | RESTART | CANCEL] "box" (which was frozen).

Who knows I may have bought a LARGE number of channel $ubscriptions!!

I left it and by now it has gone back to a movie.

I gave up on this search.

I assume I am “on deck” for:

1. A DWNLD
  2. A REBOOT
  3. A SHUT OFF to conserve MY energy consumption!

Thank you!

I Plan to Stick Around

I just have 1 plea, I'm in Ottawa and please dont send me any more updates. My box has been stable for a few days and the UI works, sort of. Yes I can live with what  I have!!! Go away!!!! 

Thank youSmiley Happy

I'm an Enthusiast

Got a text msg on my cell advising (warning) of a Navigatr update. I switched on TV later and didn't notice anything but then my remote started acting up so I rebooted my PVR. Then I noticed pictures in the tiles of recorded shows and other little things. So I started watching some recorded shows. Part way through the third show I noticed I couldn't use fast-forward or rewind or Guide or etc. I could turn off the TV but the little clock stayed on the PVR. So I rebooted the PVR again and it seems to be functioning, but now I'm wondering if the PVR will stop responding to the remote again. Is that a thing with the new Navigatr? Does the connection shut off periodically for some reason?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@stoneball wrote:

I just have 1 plea, I'm in Ottawa and please dont send me any more updates. My box has been stable for a few days and the UI works, sort of. Yes I can live with what  I have!!! Go away!!!! 

Thank youSmiley Happy

Have you been updated to Navigatr?

I'm in Nepean, and have not yet.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well despite Roger's assurances that we would be notified of the "update" in advance my system was apparently updated last night. Couldn't be sure until a few minutes ago because it took multiple reboots before it would actually power on.

The good. 

Fonts are bigger and I can actually read them without getting up.

A full two tiles show vertcially (previously only 1.5 per screen)

The bad.

Still no alternative to the tiles. Services like Netflix (which have a good reason for a tiled interface) at least show you more per screen.

Pictures (when they eventually show up) appear to be out-of-date - for example Dragon's Den shows people who haven't been on the show all season. 

Unless the name of the show is on the tile (most aren't) you don't know what show it is until you select the tile at which time the words show up. I watch a number of nature shows so a picture of two polar bears was not a huge help in determining what the program was! I thought the point was to make it easier to find your shows?

You can filter to see scheduled recordings or All. Scheduled is useful but why not an option that shows recorded only? Isn't that what we want most of the time?

No idea yet of course if it is going to lose recordings or any of the other little delights that the alpha version shared with us, but so far it appears to be purely minor cosmetic changes made by people with zero understanding of User Interface design and with no real improvement to any of the features that are badly designed/broken.

I've Been Around

Updated last night in my area in Mississauga, BUT again I lost all my ON DEMAND channels. Here I go again !!! Called and was told to reboot,  which I did to no avail.   What now !!

I'm a Senior Contributor

I Plan to Stick Around

Got the new "downgraded" Navigatr overnight.  What you would expect...2 steps forward...5 steps back!  The font for my recordings is better, but the font for the guide is now smaller...can still read it...but have to get close to the TV!  Another problem on the guide now is that it does not "darker shade" the stations that I don't subscribe to....before the downgrade, channels you didn't buy showed up in darker contrast.  I tried managing the channels under the channel list function to only ones I subscribe to...but of course that function doesn't work...so now I have no way of knowing which is which unless I actually go to the channel and see if I'm authorized or not.  Don't know why you messed with the guide...it was the only thing people were happy with!  I will wait for an answer from Rogers to see if they will be fixing this...because it's a huge pain to have to sift thru 1000 channels and not know what's included in your package and what's not...bring back the darker background for channels I don't buy!

As far as the silly tiles...I have 56 recordings set...all popular shows...not one has a picture!  On the bright side, my page down now works and the font is better.  The downgrade also did not wipe out my PVR like it did last July.  It did however, bring back every scheduled show to record from last spring...shows that are not on anymore...so I have been spending my day going tile by tile deleting the mess!  It also has now given birth to new tiles...for example...I tape the middle 3 times a week...before it put them all under one tile...now I have 3 tiles...one for each different event...I now have more tiles to clean up than a 5000 square foot kitchen floor...and not one pretty picture to appease my frustration.

I expect the feedback that we have been providing to Rogers for the last 6 months is in a recycling bin somewhere...because they certainly didn't fix the majority of the problems...I count 2 problems fixed...the font on my recordings and the page down button.  All other problems remain and now the guide is messed up...which was the only thing I liked!

Glad we all waited 6 months for a readable description and page down button, now my guide is as frustrating as my recording tiles!

I've Been Here Awhile

They release a product with many bugs and then don't like it when users complain.

Hopefully all of the constructive criticism they have been getting will force them to fix many of the bugs before NAVIGATR gets rolled out to my neck of the woods!

I wouldn't bet on that.   You don't force Rogers to do anything.