UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@collinsg wrote:
My whole issue is that there is no way to see previously scheduled series anymore, such as, series scheduled months ago that were for only NEW episodes. These are still in the system, but are not visible as on the previous software

That is one of the MANY lost or broken features in Navigatr that many here have been complaining about since the first disastrous rollout of Navigatr at the end of July.,  Rogers ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to tell their customers ANYTHING about what bugs will or won't be fixed and what missing/dropped features will or won't be added back to Navigatr.  You may as well talk to a brick wall, because all you'll get from Rogers on this is absolute silence.  They are either unwilling or incapable of giving their paying customers a straight answer.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@collinsg wrote:
Look this thread started to find out how to see your scheduled series in the future beyond seven days. It's not to slam Rogers or Navigatr. I would like to hear from Rogers, whether they plan to bring this feature back. Nothing is perfect, but I think this should be reinstated as a minimum.

Actually this thread is something Rogers created by selecting posts from the original Navigatr thread after the last major update that was rolled out to a smaller group than before. Posts have been edited for derogatory content after Navigatr was again criticized in mainstream media and other Internet forums. Even if you had started a separate new thread, the mods would have moved your post here to keep all the Updated Navigatr complaints together.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@collinsg wrote:
My whole issue is that there is no way to see previously scheduled series anymore, such as, series scheduled months ago that were for only NEW episodes. These are still in the system, but are not visible as on the previous software

You have a very legitimate complaint. Let's hope Rogers is reading these posts carefully and relaying the suggestions from you beta testers back to the programmers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi

I thought all but Microsoft paid for alpha testers. If Rogers listened to us, they would be getting free advice. But judging from the seemingly identical complaints in July 2015, they don't appear to even listen to this which is fine since I prefer not to volunteeer my time to them....

I would like to know who gains:

I will be leaving ASAP, but am so busy I have not had time - (plus I am in shock). I cannot see what could possibly entice people to stay? LOTS and LOTS of $$$ AND a working box (which is stable) with another TV - could possibly start negotiations ... but that's a long shot.

Rogers should eventually notice a lot of people gone.

There does not seem to be a point in pushing this really EXCEPTIONALLY poorly designed (and that's a stretch) incomprehensible garbage on people who have done nothing but paid higher and higher prices for less and less return

(in my mind).

It seems more and more clear that the BOXES cannot take this garbage either ..... mine goes slower and slower; the buttons at more and more times are erratic ... Then I watch the deadly downloads followed by the usual reboots....

WITH NO ABILITY to control a thing.

After reboots the increasingly long list of "UNAVAILBLE at this time" channels.

I Plan to Stick Around

I still have an 8300 kicking around and know that it does show all programs that are set up to record in the list, however it uses an arbitrary date for all of the ones that don’t have anything to actually record in the next seven days.

As a side note, I finally resorted to issuing YET ANOTHER factory reset on my box today since it started to destabalize and when it finally came back to life, it said I wasn’t authorized for the current channel. This seemed a bit strange until I realized that the factory reset decided to default to channel 448. At least my old 8300 always went back to the Rogers promo channel on 001.

What a joke!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@YtanyaY wrote:

There does not seem to be a point in pushing this really EXCEPTIONALLY poorly designed (and that's a stretch) incomprehensible garbage on people who have done nothing but paid higher and higher prices for less and less return

It seems more and more clear that the BOXES cannot take this garbage either ..... mine goes slower and slower; the buttons at more and more times are erratic ... Then I watch the deadly downloads followed by the usual reboots....

WITH NO ABILITY to control a thing.

After reboots the increasingly long list of "UNAVAILBLE at this time" channels.

You say "poorly designed" and that's painfully apparent, though using the word "designed" implies a level of conscious thought existed behind this disaster, and that's hard to believe.

It's also painfully apparent that as newer versions of the RTN code inevitably suffer from the "bloating" you see in many new versions of software, that the underpowered 9865 (Nextbox 3) and especially the EXTREMELY underpowered 8642 (Nextbox 2) simply do not have a fast enough processor or sufficient memory to be able to run the code at a consistently acceptable level of performance, hence the slowdowns in response time you will see at various times.  These include when a recording is ending or starting (especially if you have several recordings ending or starting at the same time), and during the nightly guide date download around 2am. This insufficient memory/processor also often manifests itself with the other symptom you report, a blank (no picture or sound) channel after a reboot, where you need to press Channel + / Channel – to get the picture to appear. 

As with bad PC software that has memory leaks (I'm sure the RTN/Navigatr code leaks memory like a sieve) you need to occasionally reboot the boxes to recover the "lost" memory.  This USED to happen at least once a week as Rogers forced out updates that did a reboot (it was usually Tuesday & Friday mornings around 2am) until they stopped that several months ago, possibly in response to many complaints that the box was rebooting when many of us night owls were up watching TV (apparently letting the user select a time for the reboots in the Settings was beyond the capability of the programmers to implement).  In hindsight that was probably a bad idea as I  find I need to reboot the boxes at least weekly to avoid performance issues, and especially issues where programs deleted from one PVR do not remove from the recordings list of the other (or also quite frequently new recordings from one PVR will not show on the other).

One case where the Nextbox 2 seems to outperform the Nextbox 3 is the ability to actually start a recording on time. I find on my Nextbox 3 even if there is only 1 program starting at a certain time, if one has just ended it will often take almost a minute, sometimes longer to start the next recording missing the start of the show (my 11:30pm CTV News Kitchener often ends up starting at 11:31pm). My Nextbox 2 however seems consistently able to actually start a recording at the correct scheduled time.

If you have Whole Home PVR with more than one PVR (as opposed to one PVR and a few 4642 digital terminals) the slow (painfully slow - to the point of over a minute or two response time from the remote) response time is very evident after a box is rebooted.  Although the clock reappears after around 5 minutes and shortly after the "loading" reaches 100% and you can then (if you do it quickly) tune a live channel, the multiple PVR's then start updating each other with their lists of scheduled and recorded programs, which brings response time to a crawl for another 10-20 minutes (depending on how many recordings and scheduled recordings you have).  During this period the box is basically useless and you may as well go off and shovel the driveway or something.  The remote response becomes so slow it's impossible to tune to anything other than a single digit channel (like 2 or 3) because if you enter 2 or 3 digits the box takes so long to respond that it will "enter" the first digit as the next one takes too long to be recognized.  So trying to tune to channel 524 for example you will first get channel 5, then maybe a minute or two later it will go to channel 2, the again a pause and it will go to channel 4.  Hopefully there will finally be new Technicolor 4K PVR soon (Technicolor bought the set top business from Cisco, who bought it from Scientific Atlanta) soon that appears it may have enough processing power to avoid those issues (it will need it as apparently Rogers is also running a version of Navigatr on their 4K boxes).  The question will be whether or not Rogers will let these boxes go to customers without 4K service, in order to finally get them a box with sufficient horsepower to run the bloatware RTN code adequately.  I suspect at first these boxes will be in limited supply (as the Nextbox 3 was when first introduced) and therefore will be restricted to those ordering the 4K service.

I Plan to Stick Around

@collinsg,

The issue you're asking about in regards to seeing schedule recordings was reported back in August. See number 6 in this message:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I've even forwarded the list to the Rogers Office of the President.

Many were hoping that this update to Navigatr would fix some of the issues in that list but, so far, all signs indicate that Rogers isn't listening.

I've Been Here Awhile

@RogersMargaret wrote:

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

You state above that we will be notified ahead of time about the pending update and  that leads to wonder why???  leaving me with the following questions:

1.  Is this because there is now some way to decline the update as was suggested back in August during the first attempted rollout?

2.  If the answer to one is no,  will unplugging the device work like painting our door frames with blood so the Great Update Plague will pass us over?  Or will the next powerup simply force an update on us?

3.  If not 1 or 2 is it so that we will have an opportunity to switch over to Bell Fibe TV before we're infected?

4.  And the big question, Will the advance update notification really happen and if so ,  How?  Email?

Thanks so much for your answers,

Robin 

Ottawa, ON

I Plan to Stick Around

To the Moderators.....

I just received a text advising I'll be getting improvements to my Navigatr "very soon". I'd like a more definitive date so I can manage existing recordings in case everything is wiped out with the change.

How can I confirm the actual date of delivery?

Community Manager (Retired) RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Starting tomorrow, we’ll be rolling out the new Navigatr software to all NextBox cable customers in communities surrounding Toronto – Newmarket, Aurora, Bradford, Ajax, Oshawa, Bowmanville, Oshawa, Whitby, Brampton, and Mississauga. 

We’ll keep you posted on upcoming Navigatr updates to the rest of our cable footprint, in addition to notifications customers will be getting by mail, email and text.