UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

I record Jimmy Kimmel Live and notice it was still recording over 12 hours after it aired! I just deleted the episode. It was filling up the PVR pretty quick.

Also, I have noticed that in my list of recorded shows, it shows a couple of shows that have no episodes recorded! These should not be showing up if there is no episode recorded for that show.

I Plan to Stick Around

@BS wrote:

I had that problem begin about a few weeks ago - I began to not let the show end, just stopped during the credits, but I also haven't seen it for a while, but I also haven't been watching on demand much lately.

My developed a pattern at one point, I would binge watch two shows in a row, it would freeze on the second one at the end, then I would watch two more and it froze.  I did this six times in a row over two days, then reported it.  They did open a ticket, still open, but like I said, I haven't seen it as of recently.

May be unique to a few boxes and how we happened to have configuration and use patterns in place - this is one that their technical teams in implementation don't seem to get - there are so many configuration options in place, and many of them did not work well in the first place, so it is possible that you can get it randomly on some boxes, but not others.  

Their basic solution is eventually factory reset, because from what I have seen, they don't actually take back our box from us with the problems intact to understand how it happens. Mine seemed to resolve itself on its own, or it may have been with the last update - haven't got a clue, but hope it is gone

Work your way through various tiers of tech support, and hold your ground on factory reset until you are fully willing to do it.  As many have said, if I have to start all over, then I will just walk.

Good luck and keep us up to date -

Hang in there.  BruceSmiley Mad

I noticed that if I stop the on-demand show while the credits are running, it works ok and doesn't freeze/crash. But if I let it run through the credits it freezes/crashes and have to reboot. Go figure. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sailorman  Exactly same way I dealt with it for about a week or so, haven't had it happen for about a week, and I have let it run to end, although I still tend to just stop at credits out of habit now.

That makes at least three of us who have this issue - any others?  There are so many hidden bugs in this thing, that we never seem to know what we are going to get.

Of everything we have dealt with (me back to July), this is the part I am so tired of, the surprise bug, that when you call, they  often have no idea what I am talking about.  I have usually done a lot of testing and trouble shooting before I call, so I can describe in detail exactly what happened and that I was able to repeat it.

There is another possible issue - In December, they were having issues with On Demand material with freezing, but the last time I called about it they said it was resolved in December.  But was it? Is it the box, or on their end?

Ahh, so much fun.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS wrote:

That makes at least three of us who have this issue - any others?

I posted the following elsewhere in December while I still had RTN on my 9865:

"I don't watch much ROD, however, I was trying to catch up on one thing this week and couldn't access certain programming on ROD, or TMN-OD (to which I subscribe).

I called in and used the callback feature - very pleasant to be able to use this - and learned the following:

1. In November, Rogers rolled out new firmware that was supposed to allow you to watch an OD programme ordered on one box in your house on all boxes in the home. Apparently before you could only watch on the box that ordered the programme...

2. Unfortunately it doesn't work properly and has caused various issues.

3. If you have difficulties with OD, you need to reboot your STB and do not go to OD immediately upon completion of the reboot. Watch a few different channels for a few minutes. Then you may be able to access OD programming (it didn't work for me and the agent said it works for most people).

4. Perhaps it only affects people with several STBs, or people simply put it down as another Rogers issue.

5. New firmware to address this problem is to be rolled out in January and OD should work properly again then. I'll probably wait until then to try OD again..."

I now have Navigatr and I still have the issue (tried yesterday).  I'll give it another week and if I still can't get OD working, I'll call again.  PS. I also just tried on my SA8300HDs and get a different error message, but cannot access OD, so I don't think this is a Navigtr issue, it's an OD issue.  My signal is good - most of you know me as someone who can workaround or fix just about anything.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have not had On Demand of any kind since second week of November. Many calls and attempts at reboot the way you described. Has been escalated to presidents office. Been advised that yes this is a software issue , however I was told "hopefully" February for a fix. Time will tell. I get regular "update" emails on my ticket. Had the original navigatr in July and was told there is a relation to navigatr and some new software that didn't work. Not sure how widespread this issue is.

I Plan to Stick Around

So yesterday, after having received the Navigatr software sometime early Thursday morning (?), i spent most of the afternoon/evening working through the software - one word comes to mind - quirky!

The good thing was it seemed to be a good download as all my recorded/scheduled programs were present.  Watched several shows - box seems more responsive (moving through guide, cancelling watched shows, 30 sec. forwarding, 8 sec. back, etc.)  The only very minor glitch i had was, while watching a show, it all of a sudden booted me out of it back to the options screen.  Other than that, shows played/recorded fine.

It is a pita that you can't see just recorded shows rather than just the scheduled ones.  Also, can anyone tell me how to get to the option to reboot the box/set back to factory???  I can't for the life of me find it.  I looked under settings in the menu but didn't see where it used to be with the old 5.1.1.0105 software "Troubleshooting"

It would also be nice if we could set up a 'Nagivatr How To' thread to learn how to do various things - like someone had posted about how to access CC.  I think i have one, perhaps someone can verify for me - if you are watching a recorded show and switch to 'Live', to get back to the show you were watching all you have to do is click 'Exit' to return to it.  Am i correct??

@Bruce, @roxandtreez - your work was not in vain - as i said before, it smoothed the path for us later comers. @roxandtreez outlining all the issues was a Godsent (mind you very few of the issues were rectified but at least he/she went to the top as did many others of you.  Too bad they didn't take you guys up on your offer to fix the issues - i'm sure it would have saved them tons of $$$, not to mention the headaches faced by the first-tier tech support people.  I don't envy them one bit - they must be living through h. e. double hockey sticks on earth about now!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@websurferdude wrote:

Also, can anyone tell me how to get to the option to reboot the box/set back to factory??? 

Same as before -> Settings - scroll up (one click) or down (many clicks) to "Troubeshooting" - Diagnostics. 

People need to remember that menu items may not always appear on the page you are looking at.  You may need to scroll down, or up to get to more menu items.  Sometimes there is an "arrow" at the bottom of the page indicating this, sometimes not.

I only wish it didn't default to "Factory Reset". That is very poor programming!

I Plan to Stick Around

thanks @57 for the speedy reply.  Unfortunately, the 'Settings' button on the remote only brings up a blank screen.  I believe i can access 'Settings' via the 'Menu' button and there is a 'Settings' option at the very bottom, left hand side.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like you have an issue with your STB. You may need to call Rogers and have them do the factory reset.

I Plan to Stick Around

Nada, i don't want to lose any of my programs.  Besides, the download of the Navigatr software went very well so i don't want to jeprodize it being sent again and not going as smooth as it seems to have the first time!

Thanks.