UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

With the CURRENT wave of updates, yours is only one of two reports that i have specifically seen on 'bricked' units with the latest update. (and i go to a few different places / forums).
I dont think its a COMMON thing with the most recent update.... vs say the FIRST initial wave, where it completely killed any and all NB2s.

I dont think it would be 95%.. but yes a large portion may like a simpler one.
BUT many after going to a guide.. would be hard to go back without on.  Myself rarely channel +/- surf just flipping anymore.  Would be very hard to go back.

I am not defending Navigatr.  I dont even have it yet. (i am leaving my opinion until then.. but i am sure it will mirror many others).   I dont think it was really necessary change..

I am one of the rare people though, other than the slugishness on the NB2 with it.. (which i was one of the first with a NB3 so that disapeard quickly)  I LIKED the RTN over SARA.

I do agree though that they were a little un-prepared with this wave of updates though.
Not necessarily from a technician standpoint... but as much from a just general SUPPORT standpoint.  Seems like wait times on the phone are HUGE.. many people calling in... confused, complaining, etc.
I dont think the annoucement of it has been handled well.  People are suposed to be notified.  Many are.  I received my email.  But that requires that people are set up PROPERLY via their profile to receive those emails, etc.  My guess is that MANY arent... many still likely dont use the myrogers portal, etc.... and have been completely BLINDSIDED by this.
(though.. really i am not sure how much more they COULD do.. you can notify people till you are blue in the face, and there are people who will STILL not know about it.  Look at the analog cut off.  Indvidual mailings direct to the user.  Notifications in the bill about the cut off almost every month for over two years.  People STILL did not read it and were blindsided by it.)

I'm a Senior Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

I have an elderly friend whose brain is not wired to deal with anything even slightly technical. She can't even figure out how to make sure that her Nextbox and TV both power on at the same time. 

That's a common problem. If you don't keep the remote pointed for at least 2 seconds, or accidentally press one of the other device buttons when picking it up, you'll get the TV and CBL out of phase and one will turn off when the other turns on. The processors are that slow (or at least my 8300 is).  It even takes about 4 seconds to change channels, while the DTA50 on my kitchen TV is instantaneous.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Enthusiast

I just assumed I had a faulty remote. I swapped for a new one but same problem. Click Power one time both PVR and TV comes on. Click again PVR goes off but TV stays on. So press TV button to shut off the TV. Sometimes this happens and other times it doesn't. It does not matter if I'm standing in front of the units or six feet away, or holding the remote over my head. Completely random.

I'm an Advisor

@Brt wrote:

@jimboden wrote:

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm sure it will help a lot of Nextbox users and Navigatr victims. I have an 8300 and have yet to figure out how to turn on CC, although I don't need it. I remember when you could turn on CC on any TV by just pressing the Mute button. Why can't these brainiacs incorporate that into Navigatr instead of requiring a zillion button presses?

@OLDYELLR

I rarely use CC, but here's how you do it in 5 clicks. Press Menu, arrow up twice, where you'll see CC Off/On, press either the left or right arrow key, press Select. Repeat the same procedure to turn it off.

Thanks @jimboden but we all agree that it's only a few clicks .... from live TV ... however the real problem is doing this while watching a recorded program. I challenge you to name that tune in anything under ten clicks. 

Cheers,

Brett

@Brt

I accept that challenge.Smiley Wink

In case you didn't notice, OLDYELLR was referring to his SA8300HD PVR, not a Nextbox. I also have the 8300 and CC works exactly as I described, whether for live TV or a recording. It's nice and simple, unlike the Nextbox.

I'm a Senior Advisor

jgross wrote:
  • Shows that are currently being recorded do not show up in the Recorded list until the recording is complete. You have to look in the Future Recordings list. This is very counter-intutitive

This is a prime example of how the programmers don't have a clue on how people use a PVR in real life. I watch a lot of shows while the recordings are still in progress, skipping commercials. That's how I can see 3 hours of programming in 2 hours.

I Plan to Stick Around

@jimboden wrote:

@Brt

I accept that challenge.Smiley Wink

In case you didn't notice, OLDYELLR was referring to his SA8300HD PVR, not a Nextbox. I also have the 8300 and CC works exactly as I described, whether for live TV or a recording. It's nice and simple, unlike the Nextbox.

Good point @jimboden but we're talking about Navigatr here and @OLDYELLR's comments were in response to other postings about how to make Closed Captioning work for NAVIGATR.

So the challenge remains, how do you enable or disable CC using Navigatr in fewer than ten clicks?

Cheers,

Brett

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jgross wrote:

• 1. There should be an option to show shows in list form. The thumbnail/poster view is pretty, but it wastes space, slows things down, and makes it harder to see what is where.
  • 2. When I search for a show and find many episodes of it, they are listed in what appears to be a random order.
  • 3. My several recordings of Doctor Who from Christmas Day are not collected in one folder the way  all my other shows are; they each show up as their own poster and thus waste a lot of screen space.
  • 4. There is no way to separately view Previous Recording only and Future recordings only. The mixing of previous recordings, future sceduled recordings, and those that are programmed but have no known future recording dates (each sorted within their own group) is confusing and unintuitive.
  • 5. Please provide an option to supress the More Like This information. It wastes screen space, is distracting, and almost never actually succeeds at suggesting related shows I might want to watch. I think this feature is completely useless, and its presence makes the experience worse at all times.
  • 6. Shows that are currently being recorded do not show up in the Recorded list until the recording is complete. You have to look in the Future Recordings list. This is very counter-intutitive

I'm no fan of Navigatr, however, here are my responses to your points:

1. I also liked the list format, however, with the tiles you can actually see 12 recordings on a page, rather than 6 on RTN (Yes I realize some of the information that was on RTN requires "digging" to find)

2. It's not random, it's either alphabetical, or by date of recording (most recent first).

3. Series recordings are in one tile. Single recordings are in their own tile. Makes some sense.

4. You can see future recordings only - click "Sort/Filter" (red C at the top of the list page), scroll down to "show all recordings" scroll right to "view scheduled recordings".  All your scheduled recordings that air in the next week will be there.  However, it's probably quicker to simply scroll down to the bottom of the "all recordings" list using page down. All your scheduled recordings are at the bottom of the list following your completed recordings, including scheduled recordings that do not air in the next week right at the bottom.

5. This can be disabled. Go to Settings - Related Content Settings - Don't Show.

6. Current recordings do actually show, click on the tile and scroll up to select "recorded"

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Cap07 wrote:

I just assumed I had a faulty remote. I swapped for a new one but same problem. Click Power one time both PVR and TV comes on. Click again PVR goes off but TV stays on. So press TV button to shut off the TV. Sometimes this happens and other times it doesn't. It does not matter if I'm standing in front of the units or six feet away, or holding the remote over my head. Completely random.

Okay, when press the PWR button to turn the TV/PVR off, do you see the CBL then the TV buttons flash? Try keeping the remote pointed until the TV turns off.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Brt wrote:

Good point @jimboden but we're talking about Navigatr here and @OLDYELLR's comments were in response to other postings about how to make Closed Captioning work for NAVIGATR.

So the challenge remains, how do you enable or disable CC using Navigatr in fewer than ten clicks?

I was talking about the 8300 and SARA interface, not Nextbox and Navigatr.  Just as a datapoint, with the 8300 it requires 8 clicks to turn CC on or off, whether you're watching live or recorded. If Navigatr can't do better than that, it's not an improvement.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@debbiech wrote:
Notes after about an hour of fiddling

I agree with you 100% and I don't think that there is a single thing on your list that those of us infected back in July have not already complained about. Rogers ignored those requests just as they have ignored all other sensible suggestions about the "features" that you have yet to discover. They are wedded to this idiotic tile interface and show no signs of giving a darn as to customers wants and needs.