Without going into EACH folder.. no 😞
At least to eliminate the conflicts.. there should be something when you try to do the 3rd recording.. that it will bring up WHAT the other two are.. so you can then at least know what your having to compare to / go and remove/change.
You mean like the old 8300 boxes that also worked oh so well?
Yes, that's how the 8300 works. If you try to schedule a 3rd recording that overlaps 2 existing ones at some point, you're given the choice to cancel the new recording or one of the others. What the OP is asking is whether at some time in the future, if scheduled "new" recordings change their length or time slot, would Navigatr catch the conflict in time and warn the user to reschedule or cancel a show. It's a good question, but nothing I've experienced that I know of. But surely the developers would have thought of that and programmed a warning, no?
That's closer to what I was asking. I have deliberately tried to record a 3rd thing at the same time as two others are being recorded and it gives me a warning.
But supposing I had 3 "record series - all new episodes" which generally happen at Sunday 9pm. Suppose 2 of them have been on each week and recording just fine. And I had a "The Walking Dead" series recording that remained dormant since the fall (as no new episodes were airing). But suppose in the upcoming week, "The Walking Dead" returns and 3 shows should theoretically be recorded at that time.
What would happen previously is that the future recordings would show two shows being recorded. And a third one (lowest priority) would show up with a triangle symbol, telling me that it wouldn't be recorded. So I'd have an opportunity to cancel one and record that show at a later time.
To the best of my knowledge, now it will just show that two shows are being recorded, and won't highlight that a third should have been recorded but won't be. I'm wondering if there is a convenient way to be notified of this so that I can add a recording.
Well, I've had the Navigatr for about two days now and I've tried to give it the benefit of the doubt (and there are a few nice things about it) but I have a hard-time believing that anyone who uses a PVR reguarly ever got to give feedback on this software before it got released. It is really a pain to do things that I regularly do with it and honestly this is pushing me towards switching to another option To detail out my pain, here's what I've encountered (much of which I'm sure has been noted but I thought I'd chime in on my grief):
- Getting to the management of upcoming recordings is painful. You used to be able to push the green button in the middle of the remote (can't recall how it's labeled) twice and there you'd be. Now you have to change your filter with multiple key-presses and it's laughable. With so many recordings each week (we have a busy life with kids and many activities) we record literally everything and play it back later so I'm in there daily ensuring that 3 things aren't trying to record at the same time and also checking that everything is getting picked up correctly (which is a problem if shows aren't set-up as "New" correctly in the guide).
- The visual presentation of this upcoming recordings section doesn't easily show what is being recorded at one time. The images are pretty but really useless for managing things. One consolidated list that allows you to view the show names, date/time being recorded and length of recording is so much more meaningful. You have to select each show and see when it's on - it's just painful beyond belief...
- I'm also experiencing the duplicate entries for recorded shows (which is apparently because they were recorded on different channels or times) but that makes no sense! I sometimes have to timeshift a show because of an overlap and so now they get thrown in multiple folders that I manually (and painfully) have to navigate to figure out which one to watch from which folder. Why not put programs of the same name in the same "folder". It makes no sense not to and that's how the previous version worked.
- If you're navigating within a show's list, you used to be able to scroll up to go to the bottom of the list (so that you can watch the oldest one recorded). This no longer works and so you have to scroll down to the bottom taking much longer to find your next show.
- While watching a show and fast-forwarding through commercials, you used to be able to use a button that would stop the fast-forwarding and back-up a bit so that you didn't miss any of the show. The button still works but it's as slow as anything and doesn't function in any manner that is useful. Skipping commercials is now harder than ever.
As pretty as this new interface is, it's just incredibly frustrating to use! I'm in IT and nothing this disfunctional would ever make it through the user-acceptance testing phase of our releases. What happened here and, more importantly, what are the plans to address any of the many concerns that people have about this new functionality?
Thanks for taking the time to read through this - typing it out has been somewhat therapeutic!
I don't have any answers for you, but your concerns are almost identical to mine. I imagine that things will get a little bit better with practice, but mostly I feel very annoyed. A lot of functionality was lost, and managing future recordings is much tougher. Maybe they are trying to get everyone to upgrade to a box that will let you record 8 things at once?
It also seems like a bad time for Rogers to make the user experience worse. They are increasing prices and introducing the skinny package soon.
I will admit that the pictures are a pleasant enhancement, but the priority should have been to maintain existing functionality. Useful and ugly trumps useless and pretty anyday.
Is there a way to block all the channels I don't sub to other than one by one? I know you can do it in the guide but I'm asking about when you're changing channels.
Improved picture quality?
Hi guys, I'm not sure if it's tied to my recent navigatr upgrade (happened today) but picture quality on every channel looks spectacular. There's no pixelating or macro blocking on any channels EXCEPT for AMC. All other channels are sharp and clean. Anyone else? I'm using NB3 and located at Hwy 400 and Teston Rd.
The latest misery. Riddle me this: I set it to record Madoff yesterday and today (individual, not a series, as there are only two episodes). Now I see two identical tiles, both with the word New but no date or any indication of whether it's a recorded or scheduled. When I go into the first one it's the recording from last night. When I look at the second one it says Saved at the top (huh? it hasn't recorded yet) and Scheduled for Feb 4 on the right. I have the option of cancelling or recording the series. What's missing? How about some clue as to what channel or at what time. I have other recordings tonight and I want to make sure I don't have a conflict - which this sorry software no longer tells me about. So I have to go about it the hard way, essentially creating a paper schedule. Another slap in the face from Rogers.
...There's no pixelating or macro blocking on any channels...
I compared my 9865 (NB3) to my SA8300HD's picture quality on several identical recordings a few months back and also found the same. However, this is not recent. I believe it may have come to the 9865 as part of the "media shrink" feature in September 2014 that allows for roughly 60% more storage on the PVR. There is a lot less macroblocking on the 9865 and it's very easy to test if you have different PVRs at your home like I do. Two of mine are even connected to the same TV.
After Rogers updated my NextBox/Pvr to the new and 'Improved' guide, I've noticed that my previously recoded shows (with the same name) are not grouped into folders as with the previous version.
I have several recored episodes of the some series and they all show up as individual tiles even though they have the same title. Now I have 3 pages of tiles to navigate through.
The previous version used to automatically create a folder when arranging the view by title (ie. alpha sort).
Has anyone else experienced this?
Is there a setting that I'm not aware of that can fix this?
Yes the tile pictures are nice except when you have 8 of the same picture on your screen.
(recorded 8 episodes of The Expanse and would think that they'd be all in one single folder).
As an IT professional myself, I can't believe that Rogers QA didn't catch this.