UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Thanks @Dugi for the update.

This is why we all love Rogers...you get a different answer everytime you contact them.  If you want the correct answer, you ask another customer.  

Community Manager (Retired) RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi @molly222,

I'll let the community know when enhancements are slated to be rolled out as soon as I can.  Stay tuned for more!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @RogersMargaret for doing your best to keep you up to date, but it would appear that the powers that be that provide you with the information are not getting it to you. You are just the messenger, so I hold nothing against you when I say this. You are doing your best.

Digital Home reports people getting it, and now we have two members here on the community who have received the update.

So we will wait for news, because that is all we are able to do.  Thanks for those who got the upgrade for advising us.  Give us your impression as you work with it.

Bruce

Community Manager (Retired) RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

I'm back with some news.  The next set of enhancements for Navigatr are set to rollout starting next week.  We should be complete around the beginning of November.

Some customers have just recently received their updates as part of a small deployment and have started to provide feedback within this thread.

Like the last rollout in the winter, I'm going to start a new thread and ask that use that thread to ask your questions and share your feedback about the latest version of the Navigatr software.  A reminder that 

customers will see an onscreen notification when the Navigatr update has been delivered to their set-top box. Customers will have the option to review the changes, or skip right to watching live TV.

And as always, we're listening to your feedback and circulating it with the appropriate folks within the company.

~RogersMargaret

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersMargaret wrote:

Hi Community,

I'm back with some news.  The next set of enhancements for Navigatr are set to rollout starting next week.  We should be complete around the beginning of November.

Some customers have just recently received their updates as part of a small deployment and have started to provide feedback within this thread.

Like the last rollout in the winter, I'm going to start a new thread and ask that use that thread to ask your questions and share your feedback about the latest version of the Navigatr software.  A reminder that 

customers will see an onscreen notification when the Navigatr update has been delivered to their set-top box. Customers will have the option to review the changes, or skip right to watching live TV.

And as always, we're listening to your feedback and circulating it with the appropriate folks within the company.

~RogersMargaret

@RogersMargaret

While I appreciate your continued presence and postings here, forgive me if I remain less than impressed. That is NOT a swipe at you - I have zero doubt that you are doing the best you can and I do not doubt your sincerity or your desire to be helpful. It's not you.

But the company you work for is failing us on so many levels. The fact that you were yourself obviously given incorrect info to pass on to us that you had to come back and correct shows us once again that the right hand seems not to know what the left hand is doing. Frankly it is not clear that there even is a left hand.

You said "And as always, we're listening to your feedback and circulating it with the appropriate folks within the company." Well you may be listening and you may well be passing it along to your next tier of "appropriate folks" but we have no faith left that  a) these folks are indeed "appropriate" as in they are not the decision-makers and not even the designers and developers;  and  b) the "appropriate folks" so named, even if they are the decision-makers, actually give a tinker's hoot about us.

Logic and observation tell us emphatically "NO" to each of those.

Even if the preceding are both false, it then means that Rogers simply has made a disastrous design decision with Navigatr, or they have given free reign to 3rd party developers who made disastrous design decisions  that they are now committed to even in the face of clear evidence that it is a disaster.

As in all of this sounds a lot like the kids do when they say "sorry, not sorry", or "too bad, so sad" but that's where we are.  Feel free to pass THAT sentiment on up the chain to all these "appropriate folks".

Sorry, but you are working against long odds here @RogersMargaret. For the rest of us downstream from you, many us have just given up and will look to exit the Rogers 'family' as soon as we can do so practicably.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike  Very well articulated Sir.  Your sentiment reflects very well how I feel as well.

I remain torn - I have committed myself to this company and its products, and in general, the service has been excellent, the customer service on overall has been above average, with natural glitches of limited authority for the first person to take ownership of an issue, leading to us spending many hours and levels to deal with issues that arise.

But having said all that, the Navigatr experience continues to leave a very sour taste in the mouth, as well as numerous other poor implemenations and/or lack of proactive responses to known changes in technology.

The company seems to have lost focus on the ball, that yes, they are a communications and media company, but their service delivery and quality of delivery is totally dependent upon the quality and standards that are applied to the technology that delivers their services, and a general disregard for clear accountability and communication to the consumer when things will be delayed, and acknowledging openingly that what we are seeing is a valid concern and that they will deal with it in a timely way.

This has not been a good year for me and my long term relationship with Rogers, and will go down in the annuals of my experience as one of the worst experiences of implementation of change and disprespect for the consumer. Only once before have I dealt with anything close and that was almost 20 years ago when they did their first major update to their infrastructure for Internet and services were unpredictable for weeks on end, with long outages, and the outcome on that one is we went to Bell until we moved to an area that only had Rogers - had Bell provisioned sooner in my new neighbourhood, I probably would not be with Rogers today.

That experience was well discussed in the media and Rogers was bleeding Internet customers like crazy during that period.

I provide that history as a lesson of the risks of forgetting to plan well for major change in technology and do your best to avoid significant negative impact on the customer - imagine if a major bank's online systems were implemented this way - it could put them completely out of business.

I do hope with the new CEO, that the company will learn from this and other experiences.

Look forward to seeing the new update and hoping I can put this whole incident on the shelf. My contract is quickly running out to the point where the cancellation fees are negligible, and if I leave due to Cable Services, which is the only service I have maintained continuously for the 22 years, I will take all of my current 4 major services with me and take the risk  that the alternatives are close to the same level of services or better.

I have to acknowledge that I have seen some improvements, as I have stated here and other places, but this needs to be a continuous improvement project. I believe that Rogers is listening, but somehow they have got themselves into a significant systemic failure in many areas, and I do hope that they continue to modify it improve it.  There is still work to be done and all of our patience was worn thin a long time ago.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersMargaret  Thanks for the update, as you have been advised by upper levels.  The clarifications are appreciated.

Only one minor comment on your posted message.

The sentence, "Customers will have the option to review the changes, or skip right to watching live TV."

I would suggest that we will have little choice but to review the changes, then figure out how to use them before we can get to watching live TV, unless we decide to just jump in and learn through trial and error. Smiley Happy

When I get the new build, I will review and make comments on the product.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS wrote:

@RogersMargaret  Thanks for the update, as you have been advised by upper levels.  The clarifications are appreciated.

Only one minor comment on your posted message.

The sentence, "Customers will have the option to review the changes, or skip right to watching live TV."

I would suggest that we will have little choice but to review the changes, then figure out how to use them before we can get to watching live TV, unless we decide to just jump in and learn through trial and error. Smiley Happy

When I get the new build, I will review and make comments on the product.

Bruce

We know how many people actually DONT read the manual anymore Smiley Tongue for just about anything.

The number of people i find people get a new product.. they cant do X.. and the first thing they do is complain (usually online).  
If they had read the basic instructions, they would have found out quickly.

Though, in these cases.. the Navigatr issues/fixes.. required much more than a basic manual read Smiley Tongue

I Plan to Stick Around

So the feedback from the people that already have the update is just starting to roll in and  the full rollout starts next week.Hmm what could possibly go wrong?

I'm an Advisor

@robindp wrote:

Hello @molly222,

I had a cable technician (supervisor) visit me today, and he commented that the 'fall update' would be released *starting* this Sunday. 

He did not say if this was for all customers, or just for those customers in my area (Brampton)...

Hello all,

I received the guide update early this morning (2am) on all my NextBox cable boxes (9865, 8642 and HD terminal).  Check out my post in the "NextBox Navigatr - October/November 2016 Deployment" thread - link: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message....

I included screenshots and my initial impressions - I am very interested in hearing what the rest of the community thinks of the new update.