UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 73

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016


@molly222 wrote:

Problems with Guide after Navigatr Software Update

 

I received my Navigatr Software Update on Tuesday and have been experiencing problems with the guide ever since...only on the NB 3.0 (my NB 2.0 is working fine).  The guide works fine...zippy/fast when looking ahead at the next 4 days...when I look ahead at day 5 it starts to get very, very, sluggish...and on day 6 it shows "no information" for all channels for the entire day...varies by channel by timeslot, but by around 3:00 a.m. on day 6 all channels show "no information".  This has happened every day since the update only on the NB 3.0  Have rebooted many times and it doesn't help.

 

Anyone else checked the guide looking ahead since the update?  Since today is Thursday, I should have guide info up to and including next Wednesday (which I do on the NB 2.0) but "no information" on the NB 3.0

 

Rogers tech support said "coincidentally" the latest update also addressed other issues with the guide, but have not had reports of the "no information" on day 6 problem.  They suggest I swap the box which seems ridiculous to me.

 

 


It would be nice to know what other issues they attempted to address.  Why does it have to be a mystery?

Swapping the box seems to be the solution that is in vogue.   I guess the techies have given up trying to resolve problems with frustrated customers.  I was told the same thing when I had an issue with recordings.  As it turns out, there was nothing wrong!  But I had to figure that out for myself, since the techie just went straight to "swap the box", and I thought that was a little extreme.

Today is Friday and I can see everything to next Thursday.  We used to have that problem with the old guide!  It seemed to sort itself out after a reboot, or just after a day or so.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 17

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

 

Navigatr - deleteing wrong recording

 

Tonight I was recorded two 1-hour episodes of a program that were running one after another. I started watching the first recording when the second episode was still recording. When I finished it, about 2 minutes from the end of the recording, I pressed Stop. It went to the screen that offers Watch/Delete/etc. Assuming this screen was for the recording I had just finished, I selected Delete. Then I started watching the remaining recorded episode. It was THE SAME EPISODE. Apparently the episode I just deleted was the 2nd unwatched episode! What kind of a system returns you to a different place in the menu than you started from?

Forget about all the fixes for Navigatr you're working on and give us the old system back!

I'm a Senior Contributor
Posts: 201

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016


@jjmartin wrote:
What kind of a system returns you to a different place in the menu than you started from?  Forget about all the fixes for Navigatr you're working on and give us the old system back!

My wife and I now have a running joke when we meet idiotic "features" like this. I keep telling her that every one of these so-called "glitches" (that we are seeing almost daily now) *MUST* be operator error and that she is just not tech-savvy enough to know how to use the software and the PVR.  After all, I keep telling her, there is NO WAY that a tech and communications giant like Rogers would ever put out such a piece of garbage.....

 

Amirite??????  Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 24

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Nicely put! BUT! It gets better. I had to change one of my older boxes (year old) It crapped out? So now I have the new & improved one!??! Among all the other glitches I had, now when I wach a show that have previosly recorded. I will F.F. through the comercials. Now it emmiedietly goes back four minutes, so I have to F.F. through that & when I stop it at the start of the show. it will still go through all the comercials. Your tech's should maybe go back to techy school!??!                REALLY??

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 156

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

NAVIGATR: List of issues from Community Part Deux

 

I tried to reply to the thread on this, but the reply button is inactive.

This is an exellent idea to capture all the issues in one place, and the list is pretty exhaustive (exhausting?!). Wow.  So many "features".

 

Its also good to see a response from Rogers, indicating that there will be some improvents in the summer.

(I will refrain from asking how we will know when that is given the way the weather is these days!)

 

I would like to add a couple of general comments.   It seems to me that there is something not really clicking in the management of this whole process.   Obviously software has been released with totally inadequate  testing, both at the detail and at the design/conceptual level. It also seems to take an incredibly long time to get things fixed.   Even though the software is actually being updated more than once a week!

 

The design issues are mainly related to the PVR lisitings.  The new system is MUCH harder to use than the old. One now has to click through 2 or three levels to pin-point the right program.   The stupid pictures (or in about 1/3 of the cases grey rectangles) have crowded out useful information from the main page, like program synopsis, broadcast date and time etc.  This can't have been tested in real situations ... the difficulties become apparent in about 5 minutes of use.   The merging of past and future recordings in the list is another source of confusion.

 

I have posted elsewhere about the equally dismal App / Web page (the link is missing AGAIN) to manage the PVR ("Anyplace TV At Home" - surely an Oxymoron! Which is it guys? LOL).   I even write to Bob Berner and Jamie Williams last fall, they couldnt be bothered to reply.

 

Taken all together, lousy design, poor implementation / inadequate testing - this all seems to be very poorly managed.    Any comments any one?

 

 

 

 

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 73

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016


@RichardF wrote:

NAVIGATR: List of issues from Community Part Deux

 

I tried to reply to the thread on this, but the reply button is inactive.

This is an exellent idea to capture all the issues in one place, and the list is pretty exhaustive (exhausting?!). Wow.  So many "features".

 

Its also good to see a response from Rogers, indicating that there will be some improvents in the summer.

(I will refrain from asking how we will know when that is given the way the weather is these days!)

 

I would like to add a couple of general comments.   It seems to me that there is something not really clicking in the management of this whole process.   Obviously software has been released with totally inadequate  testing, both at the detail and at the design/conceptual level. It also seems to take an incredibly long time to get things fixed.   Even though the software is actually being updated more than once a week!

 

The design issues are mainly related to the PVR lisitings.  The new system is MUCH harder to use than the old. One now has to click through 2 or three levels to pin-point the right program.   The stupid pictures (or in about 1/3 of the cases grey rectangles) have crowded out useful information from the main page, like program synopsis, broadcast date and time etc.  This can't have been tested in real situations ... the difficulties become apparent in about 5 minutes of use.   The merging of past and future recordings in the list is another source of confusion.

 

I have posted elsewhere about the equally dismal App / Web page (the link is missing AGAIN) to manage the PVR ("Anyplace TV At Home" - surely an Oxymoron! Which is it guys? LOL).   I even write to Bob Berner and Jamie Williams last fall, they couldnt be bothered to reply.

 

Taken all together, lousy design, poor implementation / inadequate testing - this all seems to be very poorly managed.    Any comments any one?

 

 

 

 


One thousand nine hundred and fifty five comments so far!  

And it does not seem to have been very effective.  Rogers management does not seem to be very concerned, since they have barely acknowledged the concerns, and in fact brought up a survey showing that most people are satisfied, though nobody knows who these people could be.  Maybe people who never record?  Never use any features except to see what's on?

I wonder what system Rogers management is using to watch TV themselves?  Maybe they never do?  There has to be some explanation why they don't see the problems.

RichardF, most people who have written on this Forum have given up commenting, since it's all been said, over and over.

But I, for one, am still very dissatisfied, and still incredulous about this shocking Navigatr software release.

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 54

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Had an interesting night last night.I was watching the hockey game and did a rewind to watch a play over again.Hit play to slow it down and still had audio during the slowed down playback.About 1/2 hour later while watching a recorded show and another actively recording,the PVR quit responding to any button press on the remote or the front panel power switch.Had to do a hard reboot to get it back.

I'm a Trusted Contributor
Posts: 511

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016


@Customer01 wrote:

@RichardF wrote:

NAVIGATR: List of issues from Community Part Deux

 

I tried to reply to the thread on this, but the reply button is inactive.

This is an exellent idea to capture all the issues in one place, and the list is pretty exhaustive (exhausting?!). Wow.  So many "features".

 

Its also good to see a response from Rogers, indicating that there will be some improvents in the summer.

(I will refrain from asking how we will know when that is given the way the weather is these days!)

 

I would like to add a couple of general comments.   It seems to me that there is something not really clicking in the management of this whole process.   Obviously software has been released with totally inadequate  testing, both at the detail and at the design/conceptual level. It also seems to take an incredibly long time to get things fixed.   Even though the software is actually being updated more than once a week!

 

The design issues are mainly related to the PVR lisitings.  The new system is MUCH harder to use than the old. One now has to click through 2 or three levels to pin-point the right program.   The stupid pictures (or in about 1/3 of the cases grey rectangles) have crowded out useful information from the main page, like program synopsis, broadcast date and time etc.  This can't have been tested in real situations ... the difficulties become apparent in about 5 minutes of use.   The merging of past and future recordings in the list is another source of confusion.

 

I have posted elsewhere about the equally dismal App / Web page (the link is missing AGAIN) to manage the PVR ("Anyplace TV At Home" - surely an Oxymoron! Which is it guys? LOL).   I even write to Bob Berner and Jamie Williams last fall, they couldnt be bothered to reply.

 

Taken all together, lousy design, poor implementation / inadequate testing - this all seems to be very poorly managed.    Any comments any one?

 

 

 

 


One thousand nine hundred and fifty five comments so far!  

And it does not seem to have been very effective.  Rogers management does not seem to be very concerned, since they have barely acknowledged the concerns, and in fact brought up a survey showing that most people are satisfied, though nobody knows who these people could be.  Maybe people who never record?  Never use any features except to see what's on?

I wonder what system Rogers management is using to watch TV themselves?  Maybe they never do?  There has to be some explanation why they don't see the problems.

RichardF, most people who have written on this Forum have given up commenting, since it's all been said, over and over.

But I, for one, am still very dissatisfied, and still incredulous about this shocking Navigatr software release.


RichardF. You are asking for comments?  Well, there are many problems with Navigatr that have not been fixed. In fact, many are not even acknowledged.  gdkitty, et al. have created a list and they have been reviewed.  I don't think anything positive is going to happen any time soon.  Even today, I noted that one of my recorded tiles said:  "Tomorro......."  Not even a complete program title on the tile.

There was no picture, so I didn't know what it was.  I had to click SELECT to see the title - "Tomorrow's Food" Something my wife taped.  I find the Navigatr presentation or display really really poor but there is no acknowledgement and there is no fix yet.  All we can do it keep repeating how useless it is and hope they will improve it eventually, but don't hold your breath. 

 

I'm an Advisor
Posts: 480

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RE: @RichardF and comments requested.

 

One has to assume companies do things for valid financial/business reasons.

 

So, Rogers must have actually known what it was doing when it  infected all us PVR users with an untested, untried, and largely unworkable product.  Even after the initial software wiped out NB2s recordings, Rogers kept going rather than rolling back to the previous software. 

 

Navigatr has done nothing to slow the erosion of customers leaving cable TV. In fact it has likely done the opposite.  One can only conclude that its Cable TV business is no longer profitable and Rogers wishes to exit.

It has started to do so by attacking its most avid customers 1st, those who have invested in PVRs.

 

 

 

I Plan to Stick Around
Posts: 24

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Resign!