UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@rgottinger wrote:

@Gate420

Don't know what model you have but you need a better one. Also, what does "he one that only allows you to record one show and watch another" mean? My 9865HD allows that and permits 8 shows to be recorded while watching something else

Up til 3 or 4 years ago, they were still renting and selling the 8642HD.  You could only get two channels at a time.  So you could watch one and record another.  You could record 2 different ones, and watch a previously recorded show.  But the limit was two incoming streams of live programming.

That is the box I have and it was still quite adequate before Navigatr.  On the rare occasion that there were 3 things on at the same time, I could always find a time-shifting solution or know that one of them would be available on demand.

I was given a purchased box as a Christmas gift, so I can't just ask for an upgrade.  It's extremely annoying that this Navigatr "upgrade" may have made my box obsolete.

I've Been Visiting

a. I would like to see the return of the ability to select and delete multiple episodes/folders

b. Except for those programs that have one episode recorded, remove all the panels that do not have any scheduled recordings

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@gjdj wrote:

Up til 3 or 4 years ago, they were still renting and selling the 8642HD.  You could only get two channels at a time.  So you could watch one and record another.  You could record 2 different ones, and watch a previously recorded show.  But the limit was two incoming streams of live programming.

That is the box I have and it was still quite adequate before Navigatr.  On the rare occasion that there were 3 things on at the same time, I could always find a time-shifting solution or know that one of them would be available on demand.

I was given a purchased box as a Christmas gift, so I can't just ask for an upgrade.  It's extremely annoying that this Navigatr "upgrade" may have made my box obsolete.

Seems that PVRs have a life expectancy just like anything else nowadays and after a few years, new models are created and the old ones, functional or not are deemed obsolete. Its not right but its the way things are being done now and it isn't just PVRs

I Plan to Stick Around

@rgottinger wrote:

@gjdj wrote:

Seems that PVRs have a life expectancy just like anything else nowadays and after a few years, new models are created and the old ones, functional or not are deemed obsolete. Its not right but its the way things are being done now and it isn't just PVRs

I guess, but this is worse than the obsolescence you get from PCs.  In that case, you aren't forced to upgrade to latest operating system.

And actually via an online search, it seems like Rogers only introduced the 8642 in 2010

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/rogers-unveils-canadas-largest-capacity-hd-pvr-539707182.html

and people still seemed to be buying them from reputable retailers in 2015.

@gjdj wrote:

I guess, but this is worse than the obsolescence you get from PCs.  In that case, you aren't forced to upgrade to latest operating system.

And actually via an online search, it seems like Rogers only introduced the 8642 in 2010

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/rogers-unveils-canadas-largest-capacity-hd-pvr-539707182.html

and people still seemed to be buying them from reputable retailers in 2015.

I suppose, but you wouldn't buy a pc that was made in 2010 in 2015 either and there comes a time with PCs as well when a Windows version is out of support and the processing power can;t cope with the code that is written either. It may still turn on but new things won't work. New things are pushed out whether we personally want them or not and the attitude is take it or leave it.

I'm an Advisor

The SA8300 is a 1990s design and it continues to work well.

After Cisco took over SAs settop business they introduced the 8642 (NB2).

It had a few upgrades like the guide and PVR screen in HD, 

but it was basicly a cost reduced replacement for the SA box.

From my experience having owned both the SAbox and the NB2,

From the get go, ite NB2 was slow and the hardware was not very reliable.

@park wrote:

The SA8300 is a 1990s design and it continues to work well.

After Cisco took over SAs settop business they introduced the 8642 (NB2).

It had a few upgrades like the guide and PVR screen in HD, 

but it was basicly a cost reduced replacement for the SA box.

From my experience having owned both the SAbox and the NB2,

And you made a key polnt when you mentioned 'cost reduced replacement'. It may have been cheaper but paying less for something often results in a lesser product. Just like outsourcing development of Navigatr may have been cheaper than having inhouse developers, you often get what you pay for (or don't pay for)

I Plan to Stick Around

And you made a key polnt when you mentioned 'cost reduced replacement'. It may have been cheaper but paying less for something often results in a lesser product. Just like outsourcing development of Navigatr may have been cheaper than having inhouse developers, you often get what you pay for (or don't pay for)

I don't think it was cheaper.  It was billed as an upgrade - the premium box until the Nextbox 3.0 came out (in late 2013?).  Maybe they skimped behind the scenes, I don't know.

And while I guess some people had different experiences, I never had any problems until Navigatr was pushed out.

Personally I feel that Rogers should be supporting boxes they've sold for roughly 10 years.  Certainly if they sell you a box and stop supporting it one month later, that would feel like a scam.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@gjdj wrote:

I don't think it was cheaper.  It was billed as an upgrade - the premium box until the Nextbox 3.0 came out (in late 2013?).  Maybe they skimped behind the scenes, I don't know.

And while I guess some people had different experiences, I never had any problems until Navigatr was pushed out.

Personally I feel that Rogers should be supporting boxes they've sold for roughly 10 years.  Certainly if they sell you a box and stop supporting it one month later, that would feel like a scam.

The NB2 was an upgrade from the SA8300HD in that it was smaller and black instead of the back-out-of-fashion silver.  It also had a faster processor with a prettier HD RTN interface. Of course, at the time, something like Navigatr wasn't anticipated to bog down the poor thing. Through the years software gets more complex and bloated and processors need to become faster to handle it. For example, my laptop is from the Windows Vista era and now has Windows 7, but when Microsoft started pushing free Windows 10, it deemed my laptop incompatible and wouldn't have installed even if I'd wanted to. That's what Navigatr should have done with the NB2, just like it didn't install on the 8300. And, yes, my 8300 is more than 10-year-old technology and runs flawlessly on SARA.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

gjdj wrote:

Is there a company anywhere that warranties electronics or anything else for 10 years? You might get a 4 year extended service contract that you have gto buy filled with exceptions but after that, you are out of luck when it stops performing the way it should. PVRs are just another limited life product.