UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@57, AnyPlace Web sounds great and does look like a good solution for many. Only problem is I do not have a smart phone, nor do I have a suitable tablet, nor do I consider I should have to get both just because Rogers cannot get their latest and "greatest" search facility to be as functonal as it was for many years on the old Explorer 8300HD machine (which was substantially faster than my two NextBox 8642 machines also). 

Thank you for the suggestion, nevertheless and in many cases it would indeed resolve the issue, but unfortunately not for me.  I realize I am somewhat of a Luddite where cell phones are concerned, but I do not want to place a device next to my ear (or anywhere else on my person for that matter) that is continually communicating with a cell tower several miles away.  Call me paranoid if you wish, but I do think that I have a Rogers product that purports to provide searching capabilities as part of its PVR functionality. Is it too much to expect their search facility actually to be usable?  The latest change, at least for me, has rendered the PVR effectively useless for recording my BPL soccer games.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I also only have a 6-year old dumb PAYGo phone that is occasionally used for emergencies. Almost anyone has a computer with a web browser that can make use of AnyPlace Web version.  Many people have tablets or phones that can make use of the appropriate apps, depending on their preference....

The search functionality on the 8300 itself is horrible. The search on RTN for the 8642/9865 was better, but still horrible similar to Navigatr.  If you have a computer, give AnyPlace a try. I doubt you'll ever search on the PVR itself again.

If you already have a Rogers account, here's where you can sign in, Click on "Manage PVR":

http://www.rogersondemand.com/

If you click "remember me", you don't even have to sign in the next time and AnyPlace is one click away.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I've started to use the AnyPlace web version to manage my recordings since Navigatr landed on my TV.

AnyPlace TV does make things a lot easier but I have run into a problem with it. in the recorded list anything more than a week old now just says 'manual recording' and when I click on that there is no information as to what the recording is. I have to then check on the cumbersome Navigatr lists /tiles to see what that recording is.

Watching TV and recorded programs used to be so much simpler.   Smiley Sad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Why worry about what's 5-6 days out in Scheduled Recordings? If you log into AnyPlace once every few days, you'll be able to see what you need.  I also see the "manual recordings", but based on the time/channel/day/date info, I usually know what it is - after all, I set it to record to begin with. 😉

Perhaps you're talking about existing recordings. Mine go back for years and I see the appropriate titles for all of them.  But again, why do you care?  You only need to see them when you want to watch them on the PVR.  😉

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@PoppaGray, I strongly suggest you look into using AnyPlace Web for your computer/browser or RAPTV (app) for tablet, or the appropriate app for specific phone to do your searches and to check your list of recordings and/or scheduled recordings.

Even before Navigatr, I used AnyPlace/Web/Computer or RAPTV for my iPad for all my searches and the vast majority of the programming I did on the PVR.  Although it's not perfect and is down sometimes (one day per quarter and the occasional hour here or there) it's still far preferable to searching on the PVR itself, since the searches on it are so kludgy.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/anyplace-tv/284?setLanguage=en

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/manage-pvr/231?setLanguage=en

I have seen this suggestion and it is a great idea.  In my case, RAPTV has never worked satisfactorily on my iPad.  It worked for a short while, but now it freezes after a few actions, and crashes.  Once, quite a while ago, it actually appeared to cause the PVR to crash!  It will not delete.  So it is very unreliable.  I should have complained about it long ago, since I am sure that it was touted as one of the group of features that came with the Whole Home package.  But, since it wasn't essential to me, I didn't, and there have always been things that didn't work so well.  The PVR occasionally failed us, ROD went on the blink.  So standards of expectation were lowered.

I saw that RAPTV is now compatible with iOS 9,  but that change hasn't helped mine.

I shall check, though, if I can get the web version to work.  Thanks for the links.

@57 wrote:

Why worry about what's 5-6 days out in Scheduled Recordings? If you log into AnyPlace once every few days, you'll be able to see what you need.  I also see the "manual recordings", but based on the time/channel/day/date info, I usually know what it is - after all, I set it to record to begin with. 😉

Perhaps you're talking about existing recordings. Mine go back for years and I see the appropriate titles for all of them.  But again, why do you care?  You only need to see them when you want to watch them on the PVR.  😉

You'rre right.  I ment to say existing recordings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although it's not always the case, if there is an issue communicationg with the PVR via AnyPlace or RAPTV, it's almost always due to a signal issue in your home or in your neighbourhood. 

I guess we're getting a bit Off-topic for this thread on Navigatr. I just wanted to provide a tip to those who haven't tried AnyPlace/RAPTV/App.

@57 wrote:

Yes it is the existing recordings i am talking about.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

Although it's not always the case, if there is an issue communicationg with the PVR via AnyPlace or RAPTV, it's almost always due to a signal issue in your home or in your neighbourhood. 

I guess we're getting a bit Off-topic for this thread on Navigatr. I just wanted to provide a tip to those who haven't tried AnyPlace/RAPTV/App.

Yes, it would be off topic, except that it presents a workaround for Navigatr.  Since everything else is working, signal wise, I am wondering what the issue may be.  Will have to investigate.

Update: was able to schedule recording of a series from RAPTV no problem, and can see it on the PVR.  In the past, the app has tended to freeze after a while.  But the problem with deleting is within the app,,it says it is deleting but is still in the app list, and is still in the PVR list.

Anyway, it is a helpful workaround for Navigatr, and technical issues with it belong in another thread.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, @57, I am trying to get this AnyPlace TV to work as it does seem like it will answer my issues, even though I still feel I should not have to be doing this. Smiley Wink

I get to the actual remote screen, most of which is a blank dark grey. However, whenever I try to do anything I get:

An error occurred while communicating with Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition.
Please check your Internet connection and try again.

My internet connection is fine. I an wondering if it is anything to do with my having two PVR's, as I have not yet had to specify which of the two I wish to manage remotely?  This is way off topic for this thread now. Is there anwhere else I can go to post this issue in an AnyPlace TV thread somewhere?  Thanks.