UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Enthusiast

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

I couldn't find this topic anywhere so forgive me if it isn't in the right pigeon hole.

I set my PVR to record Sherlock Holmes: The Abominable Bride when it aired on PBS. It did not record. This was no doubt something I did. So I tried again when I noticed in the guide that it was going to air on BBC Canada. I set the PVR again and added 30 minutes to the end just in case. Seems I should've added an hour instead. When I played my recording I got what seemed like an hour of a show called Mrs. Brown(?). I FF'd through it and finally got the start of my programme. Unfortunately, near the end I happened to notice there was only 2 minutes left to my recording and the story seemed to have more to go. Holmes was digging up a grave and hauling out a coffin when the recording ended.

Apparently if I wish to watch the ending I have to buy a DVD because the video is unavailable.

There seems to be a serious problem with the scheduling on the Navigatr Guide. I've had to add 5 or 15 minutes to almost every show because otherwise I miss the ending.

Am I the only one having this problem? Is there a solution besides adding an hour to every recording?

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a similar problem when I have clicked on pre-scheduled recording and then the first 2 or 3 minutes are not recorded so, for example, on NCIS I miss the beginning and do not know what happened to the lead up.

It is frustrating to have to set record 5 minutes before the program is scheduled to commence.

Surely Rogers should be able to ensure that the recording actually commences when the program begins?
But then Rogers does not appear able to get much right now!!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

If Navigatr is goind to use the hated tile format for the PVR section, can Rogers at least provide images for all of the shows.

It's been about 2 weeks and still no tile images for many of the shows in my list.

Bring back the old guide.

Long live RTN!

I'm an Advisor

@VITALLY wrote:

You should back up your PVR on an external Hard Drive , rebooting or removing from power source or relocating without power will erase all recordings , a handy 2 tetra bytes external HD will do it . A solid state drive will work better with a blue tooth transponder . Ask Teck support if it is allowed on your system.

@VITALLY,

- There is no supported way to back up a PVR to an external hard drive. You can remove the internal HDD from the NextBox, connect it to a PC, and clone it using software. 

- Rebooting a NextBox will not cause it to loose any recordings.

- The NextBox devices do not have internal Bluetooth capability. Even if they did, the Navigatr software does not support Bt data transfer. 

- Solid State Drives are super-quick and quiet.  Installing one into an existing STB is not recommended because it is not supported by Rogers, and because cost per GB is prohibitive for most users. 

I'm an Advisor

Hello @mfait,

I hear you, this is a basic and touted feature of the Navigatr guide...which does not work reliably. 

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I called support who "sent a signal" and asked me to reboot the PVR - after doing this and waiting 15 minutes, tile art appeared. 

I'm Here A Lot

When you record a program it shows an icon for that program.  OK, fine.  And it also shows a number which is all the number of recordings in that icon.  BUT that icon sometimes shows up multiple times and each will have a number with it showing the recordins undert that icon.  Why does the same program icon show multiple times?  

I'm an Advisor

Hello @alanjohn1,

Recording start times are based on the IPG (guide data) purchased by Rogers from a third party. I am running into the same problem, and am now padding all my recordings by 5 minutes (start and end) to avoid this problem. 

Not a a perfect solution, but it helps keep me in the loop - missing the beginning of any NCIS show makes my head hurt trying to figure out what's going on!

I Plan to Stick Around

@nj

"Just wondering if I'm watching a show and wanna record it, the whole show and/or not just from when I push record, is there a way to do either one?"

I have done this before. You have to have been watching the show from the beginning without having changed channels.  Example, you start watching a show from the beginning and few minutes in you decide to record it. You can do this. But suppose you start watching a show a few minutes in. You can record it, but only from the time you tuned in. With the old software you could just do it from the record button and it would record the program which you are watching based on what I said above. I think with the new NAVIGATR system, you have to go to the program guide unless they changed it again to do it like the old way.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Zuma,

This is a common issue with the Navigatr software - programs with the same name will be placed in different tiles if:

- They were recorded from different channels. 

- They were recorded at different times. 

- They were recorded with different recording frequency or times (daily, weekly, this time slot, any time slot, manually, etc). 

All that said, I have seen this happen even when a show is recorded from the same channel, same time, same day of the week. I am hoping that Rogers addresses this issue, my "Recordings" screen is a mess. 

I'm Here A Lot

I did find elsewhere that the tiles are per channel for that program.  I am not sure how the sort by most recent would work, though....