UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

I guess their ideas on it... that while yes its partially recorded.. its not completely recorded.
Until the recording it done.. that 'shedule' is still running.. so it falls under the sheduled section.??

At least the feature wasnt COMPLETELY removed... wouldnt be the first time Smiley Tongue

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Steelheader wrote:

Hey Gdkitty or resident expert or what ever you call your self...stop with the nerdy IT . terms and respond to the concerns we have.

The user Gdkitty is not a Rogers employee and so imploring answers from him/her will not help. With regards to point #5 about Closed Captions; you can get to it via the Settings button on your remote. Scroll down to CC section and choose what you want.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Firstly.. how would you like me to answer your concerns???  I DO NOT (nor do ANY of the REs) work for Rogers.  We are all just users... we may be highly SKILLED (hence the it terms you dont like) or experienced in rogers products.  But other than that.. we have no control/say.   Usually we are just passing along any information we may have.

Secondly.. while i understand that many people may be upset with this guide.. and should be sharing their concerns.
Please lets be civil about it, there is no need for language or attacking other users.

(i can only really answer on what i have any info/opinion on)

1. That is not what i ment by FASTER.  Faster in as response times to key presses, menu's comming up, etc its faster.  I do agree that some things do take more clicks.  Some only one or so more, some like 13 for CC.

6.  The if you like this, was ALWAYS that way.. 2/3 of the time, not overly accurate.  I did find it get a little beter over time on the old guide, but not much, so could get better over time?   But there is an easy solution.  In the settings, you are able to  turn it OFF.  This overall may be a good thing, as it would lessen the workload that the system is having to do at any specific time that it would be showing.

10.  If you paid attention to my post that said it was faster, i did mention i was on a 9865 the NB3.  The RTN guide was painfully slow on the 8642 as well.. the box as a whole spec wise (processing, etc) is well under powered for either of these guides to run efficiently.  ITs quite possible that its not great on the 8642.  IF you are on a rental, it would be well worth the time if you ever can get to a point with no recordings (or ones you dont care about) to swap over to a NB3. (more storage, faster, up to 8 recordings at once, etc).

Unfortunately, all people can do for now, is to keep posting their concerns here, and hopefully they are collected and passed on.  
Others can try and help with any work arounds or solutions they found.

To really press it any further, you would want to put in something to the rogers office of the president, the CRTC, CCTS, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@lensman wrote:

@Steelheader wrote:

Hey Gdkitty or resident expert or what ever you call your self...stop with the nerdy IT . terms and respond to the concerns we have.

The user Gdkitty is not a Rogers employee and so imploring answers from him/her will not help. With regards to point #5 about Closed Captions; you can get to it via the Settings button on your remote. Scroll down to CC section and choose what you want.

There is a big concern here, and I think a very VALID one.
CC is still available.. they have not taken that away (they would get in BIG trouble for it if they did).  It works.. well mostly, there seem to be some BIG bugs with CC and playback which need to be fixed.

The big concern, which i think is completely valid, is about the availability of it.
Turning it ON, if you want it left on all the time, etc.. is relitively simple to do so via the settings, and your done.
BUT there are many users who only use it specifically.. at certain times.

This used to be simple on RTN.  You would bring up the INFO screen, one or two moves over to the CC button, and its on.

Under the new one.. you need to press info.. then over to the side bar.  Then MORE.. then scroll down to the bottom of a list of options to enable it.   MUCH MUCH more button presses than before.  
While i do like that there are many other options now burried in there as well as the CC, it shoudl be more readily available.. at MINIMUM right off that first info screen.

I'm Here A Lot

Does anyone know if the new Navigator search option has any filter capabilities?

I tried to search for a specific show title, however it searches not only through show titles  but also cast, their family trees and pet names ... or anything with the key word(s).

I just want to search for a specific show title and not all the rest with the same key word(s).

Is there a serach setting that allows me to search for show titles only?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure.. if someone doesnt answer by this eve, i will check when i get home.

I dont THINK so... even the old version of the search.. did match ANY keywords.

I think the only filters on the old one, was to remove On demand, SD, etc from the searches... not even sure if this is an option on the new one.

I'm Here A Lot

I haven't used the search too much in the past, but for some reason one of previously recorded shows got all messed up so I deleted it and tried to see if it will be shown again in the near future.

Was looking for the movie 'John Carter'. Yes, it shows up as On-Demand plus in about 50 additional results that have nothing to do with the movie.

I believe that's because it searches for anything with these words where as all I'd like to is to see if the movie will be shown again in the near future.

It would be nice to have some search criteria available, like Serach Show Titles Only.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I do agree.  

I am guessing its checking on BOTH words.. John would pick up A LOT of results.

Doing Carter might pick up less? (would get agent carter, etc).

Would be nice if you could even do like GOOGLE.. where " " encapsulates them, and doesnt break up the terms.

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't see the tab for showing scheduled or recorded shows.

It only says show scheduled or show all.

as far as sorting I only see sort most recent or alphabetically.

Is this because I have nextbox 9865HD?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JEL, I would say no to the conspiracy theories, my guess is that this is all about money.  I refer you to the link below to the previous thread.  Take a look at that page and the next page.  To make a long story short, Cisco sold the set-top box division to Technicolor.  So, that probably meant the end of support from Cisco.  Somewhere, somehow along this road, Espial, which is based in Ottawa became involved in this situation.  They use the Reference Design Kit software which is administered by the RDK Management LLC, a joint venture between Comcast Cable, Time Warner Cable, and Liberty Global.  Check out Espials facebook page for more complaints about this adventure and stock info for more light reading if you have time. The company phrase on their web site is "Transforming The Viewing Experience Worldwide".  Yup, that just about describes it alright.  

So, just guessing, Cisco sells the set-top box division, support comes to an end with possible drop dead dates by which Rogers must replace Cisco's operating system with something else or end up paying ongoing royalties to Technicolor?  Maybe Rogers didn't like Technicolor's terms, who knows.  But, I would presume that without paying ongoing royalties to Technicolor, Rogers risks getting into a messy patent fight.  Rogers then decides that Espials Windows 8 style tiles would look really good on your tv, and, off they go, contract signed, to produce the last summer's alpha version.  This is where life must have become interesting, as the operating system replacement turns out to be a spectacular failure in many peoples eyes.  The pressure is on, pay money to Technicolor to keep Cisco's software in place, and pay money to Espial at the same time while attempting to fix this.  A rather interesting conundrum.  That's probably why there is no going back, Rogers doesn't want to pay for licences to reload Cisco's software when they have already paid money to roll out Espial's software.  That would involve some rather large portions of humble pie.  

Looking at last quarterly results released by Rogers (see Yahoo finance) and paraphrasing liberally:

"At the end of 2015, Rogers Communications had $8.2 million of cash and cash equivalents on its balance sheet compared with $132 million at the end of 2014...........Television (Video) revenues were $310 million, down 7% year over year. ($23.3 million)..........The company lost 24,000 video subscribers in the fourth quarter. Telephony subscriber count stood at 1.09 million, down 5.2%.  The company lost 15,000 telephony subscribers in the fourth quarter."

The adjusted earnings per share fell short of Zacks consensus.  I leave it to you to read thru Yahoos page on Rogers.

So, video subscribers are leaving for some reason, the RDK replacement is obviously taking much longer that envisaged and still has a long way to go and the rollout continues despite the problems.  My guess is that its now a roll of the dice.  How many subscribers (read revenue) will Rogers lose versus the possible cost of licence extensions for Cisco's operating system until Espial's software is finally ready to see the light of day.  Just guessing, this is all about money.  I don't think any company, where that company is thinking logically would continue rolling this out..... unless there was much more to it than meets the eye, like ...... big money.  I leave it to you to come to your own conclusions.  Fwiw......

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/page/80...

http://www.espial.com/

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rogers-communications-lags-q4-earnings-165104596.html

https://www.facebook.com/EspialGroup/?_fb_noscript=1

http://www.stockhouse.com/companies/bullboard/t.esp/espial-group-inc