UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

I can report that we got the update in Mississauga last night. Our NB2 took it normally, but the NB3 had to be unplugged and rebooted as it would not respond to power button on remote nor on unit.

We already had the software since summer, so I can report that there is not much improvement - as expected.

- Font is bigger in description, which just means that less text fits in the box, with no obvious way to scroll to see more.

- Background is darker, perhaps easier to read for some people.

- Some images now show up in recorded program tiles, but only on first page and inconsistently.

- Recorded shows can now be scrolled with page up/down buttons, but still cannot wrap from one row to the next.

- Can now select to see all scheduled programs, so any show can now be deleted.

- Response seems faster on NB3, NB2 is still awfully slow.

- None of the major issues have been addressed in the PVR interface

Looking forward to hearing from people who are getting this horrible update for the first time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

its been AGES since i tried.. (and i dont have navigatr).. but willing to try and troubleshoot.

Guessing you have it connected via composite cables (yellow, red and white RCA).

Playback out via that, even into the VCR and then out to the TV i am assuming.. displays correctly, no blips/issues?

Only once you press the record, does it then start the issues?

The ONLY thing i can think of.. is some form of Copy Protection signal being sent along with the output.. that VCRs are set to pick up on.  (WAY back in the day, ran into this when trying to copy store bought VHS tapes..they broadcast a copy protection signal,which the receiving vcr would catch)

Though how/why this would change suddenly..

I've Been Here Awhile

@TJCvcr wrote:

This time last week (prior to the enforced march to Rogers Navigatr),

TJCvcr,

It appears that you had a recent RTN to Navigatr upgrade.   Did you lose all your recordings and scheduled recordings or have they at least fixed that issue?

Thanks,

Robin

I Plan to Stick Around

Having already suffered with the Navigatr imposition since July 28, 2015, I was reinfected with the next version overnight. 

Already I have found that things are worse than before.

On the recordings page, the Info button does nothing so the only way I can find the recording I want to watch is to  Select each recording tile to open it to get information.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Oh my dear @TheArcher

You must be all confused - or something.

Because Rogers sent me an email yesterday saying: (with the new Navigatr)

This new guide lets you:

Search for the shows and movies you love more easily

Find what you want even faster

Surely Rogers wouldn't lie to us?  Would they?

They wouldn't splash advertisements all over TV telling us how 'wonderful' the new Navigatr guide is?  - when in reality it isn't.  They wouldn't fib?  Would they?

Surely, they wouldn't promise their service is 'new and improved' and 'upgraded' - when the exact opposite is true?

No.  Rogers wouldn't do that to us.  They respect their customers too much to be all politiciany and such.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@billmcintyre wrote:

Oh my dear @TheArcher

You must be all confused - or something.

Because Rogers sent me an email yesterday saying: (with the new Navigatr)

This new guide lets you:

Search for the shows and movies you love more easily

Find what you want even faster

Surely Rogers wouldn't lie to us?  Would they?

They wouldn't splash advertisements all over TV telling us how 'wonderful' the new Navigatr guide is?  - when in reality it isn't.  They wouldn't fib?  Would they?

Surely, they wouldn't promise their service is 'new and improved' and 'upgraded' - when the exact opposite is true?

No.  Rogers wouldn't do that to us.  They respect their customers too much to be all politiciany and such.

"You will be assimilated!"

I Plan to Stick Around

Just got the update as well. Now can at least can see series scheduled that have no new episodes, however, can't get what channels they are on. Some shows have 3 boxes, obviously on different channels, but don't know which to delete. Update went smoothly, have no pictures in boxes, may be the shows scheduled. Question box still comes up as YES first, should be NO so you have to choose YES.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi billmcintyre

"I'm sorry to tell you @TJCvcr - but you should NOT expect any 'satisfactory reply' from Rogers any time soon."

You shouldn't expect ANY reply...

The slant of these message boards [How Roger's appears to others (prospective victims) their overall impression] trump ANY possibility of their taking the time to read / find / make up substantial replies concerning their [alleged] software dump(s). (IMO).

BTW, in the future (assuming Rogers still exists) readers will wonder why there were so few critical-to-Roger's remarks and why the people using > 160 pages of comments (per thread) failed to bash Rogers and appeared to accept every IMBECILIC move by Roger's - forced alpha testing; loss of ones videos; loss of ones independence over their BOXES etc.

Historians will think we ALL were so polite and so placid and agreeable. We appeared to take every catastrophic move with a smile and a Thank you!

Just my [getting MADDER and MADDER] INFORMED opinion.

Thank you!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@YtanyaY wrote:

Hi @billmcintyre

"I'm sorry to tell you @TJCvcr - but you should NOT expect any 'satisfactory reply' from Rogers any time soon."

You shouldn't expect ANY reply...

They're _far_too_busy__ removing possibly offensive-to-Rogers posts.

The slant of these message boards [How Roger's appears to others (prospective victims) their overall impression] trump ANY possibility of their taking the time to read / find / make up substantial replies concerning their [alleged] software dump(s). (IMO).

BTW, in the future (assuming Rogers still exists) readers will wonder why there were so few critical-to-Roger's remarks and why the people using > 160 pages of comments (per thread) failed to bash Rogers and appeared to accept every IMBECILIC move by Roger's - forced alpha testing; loss of ones videos; loss of ones independence over their BOXES etc.

Historians will think we ALL were so polite and so placid and agreeable. We appeared to take every catastrophic move with a smile and a Thank you!

Just my [getting MADDER and MADDER] INFORMED opinion.

Thank you!

They release a product with many bugs and then don't like it when users complain.

Hopefully all of the constructive criticism they have been getting will force them to fix many of the bugs before NAVIGATR gets rolled out to my neck of the woods!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@YtanyaY  Give 'em heck YtanyaY.  

But YtanyaY -  if Rogers paid PROGRAMMERS to write competent interface firmware so that the PVR worked reliably and was well designed from an ergonomics point of view - well then so many of us wouldn't be filling this forum complaining.

Like - try producing a functional product and then your customers won't bother you so much with complaints!

Or maybe I'm all confused.  I thought one of the best ways to make money as a company is to make your customers happy by providing them a reliable useful service. 

But it seems that oligopolies can make MORE money by tricking gullible customers into signing 2 year terms (so they get locked into a commitment that they have to pay a large financial penalty to get out of when they learn the service offered stinks), and don't spend money on improving the service you give you customers - spend MILLIONS ADVERTISING how wonderful and new and upgraded your service is - but then save money by not following through on those promises by ACTUALLY LIVING UP TO THOSE PROMISES.

It seems that the most successful business model (given that Rogers is making MORE money recently) - is NOT to give customers reliable well designed products - but to advertise again and again and again with wild promises about how great things are if you BUNDLE your services with Rogers - and companies like Rogers hasn't found a way to stop customers leaving in droves - and 'cutting the cord' - but they've been VERY SUCCESSFUL in changing the features on their PVR to pull more money out of existing customers.

Part of the reason that so many of us here are so angry at Rogers is they don't fix existing problems with their PVR's - but they spend lots of money adding new 'features' that are designed to make us spend more money on their services - like search results that don't work very well at all - and search results that keep presenting us with the programs we want to watch - but - gee - they are on VOD where we have to PAY for them - or they are on channels that we don't subscribe to - but - miracle - with just a click of a button you can subscribe to that channel.  But you have to pay MORE to do that.  But at least its really easy to pay Rogers more by signing up for new channels.  You used to have to call them to add channels to your package.  NOW - it's so easy that even a 6 year old child can do it.  (and I wonder how many kids make changes to their TV service, or cell phone service - and then the parents have to PAY for it.  And I mention cell phone service because there are stories of young kids making selections on their phones that end up costing their parents five thousand dollars - and when the parents call to say they shouldn't have to pay it - they face a nightmare battle and many parents just give in and pay these outrageous charges - because they worry about their credit rating, or they don't get worn down by the battle with a monolith that crushes their will to resist.)