UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
malcolmd
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

No - update, which I followed with a power off reboot, didn't fix it.
malcolmd
I Plan to Stick Around

Just to be clear, both the Settings button and the Menu -> Settings sequence do get me to the Settings screen.
Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@malcolmd wrote:
No - update, which I followed with a power off reboot, didn't fix it.

They aren't fixing anything any time soon.  This is abundantly apparent.  

malcolmd
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, this is a big deficiency.
Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, I've had my say.  Time to move on.  

There are no solutions to the recording management and other issues that I have encountered, and obviously lots of other people too.

Rogers senior management is not acknowledging the fiasco.

I am disgusted that they released the software to my PVR knowing that it is problematic.  Total lack of responsibility and accountability.  This is the behaviour of a company that has become far too big and lacks competition.

If a car company released a new car that not only had none of the features that we have come to expect, like automatic windows and locks, but they came in the night and disabled all the existing automatic windows and locks....well, they wouldn't do that would they?  Because that would be crazy, and there are plenty of other cars with those features.

That is what Rogers has done.

So good luck to everyone, especially the poor Rogers "minions" who are bearing the brunt of this.

Update:  I just received a voicemail from Rogers, resulting from my feedback on this forum.  Apologies, of course, and an assurance that my concerns are being passed on to the proper department.  That's great, thank you, but I need more.  I need a timeline for fixing this software.  We all need a public and proper mea culpa from Rogers senior management.

The caller also mentioned that I could call tech support.  That was my first instinct, but both the phones and the chat support have been busy.  They did not even take a number for call back.  I would be happy to talk with a Rogers tech support at a time convenient to me. We could start up the Guide and go through all the features step by step, and we would find all the problems, and maybe some solutions.  Then they could write an instruction manual, saving everybody from having to communicate on inefficient forums to find out how to do things.  And of course, in an ideal world, they would set to work around the clock fixing the problems.

That, Rogers, is what companies do when they care about their customers.

Thank you to the caller from Rogers.  It's not your fault.

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@CanadianGirl1 wrote:

We have recently gotten the new guide.  Had to unplug one of our PVR's as it was being moved from one area to another.  Once plugged back in the live channels work fine, can record fine, and watch recorded shows fine.  However, when going to Rogers On Demand Channel 100 it says undefined in the bottom left hand corner and has the loading bar going through the bottom of the screen.  Tried rebooting, unplugging nothing works.  I really don't have time to be wasting on the phone with Rogers Tech as they won't do anything anyway. 

Has anyone else had this issue?

Yes, I have on two PVRs a couple of times. Once when a Rogers tech was onsite. He told me the box was defective and I should exchange it.  I declined because each time it has happened I just waited and it worked again after a while and it did again that time. So from my experience... just wait.

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@trendsetter wrote:

With the previous menu system when I searched for a program, it would show me all of the upcoming dates and times so I could select which one I wanted. In Navigatr, it only displays the first showing of the program. Where is the capability to display all show dates and times for upcoming week? Without this capability it makes this system useless.

I have experienced the same results and I agree with your conclusion.

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

@User14 wrote:

For your problem, try pressing the SETTINGS button, then scroll down to I think it is TROUBLE SHOOTING.  In the DIAGNOSTICS  area I believe you can restore the factory setting or reboot the nextbox.  

WARNING:  I tried this once with a Seagate External Storage Device and I lost all my recorded programs, so you may want to wait for more advice before attempting this.  

I don't work for Rogers - I am just another frustrated customer.    

Yes, factory reset will WIPE all recordings.
(its like running a factory reset on a phone, etc.. it takes you to the state it was when you first started it up)

It can sometimes fix some configuration issues i have seen in the past though.

Yes, even if you unpluged the external drive you would lose the recordings on it. The internal drive contains an index to all of the records on the internal and external drive... once you reset the box the index is gone and so there's no way to play the recordings on the external drive.

robtoe
I Plan to Stick Around

@Customer01 wrote:

I would be happy to talk with a Rogers tech support at a time convenient to me. We could start up the Guide and go through all the features step by step, and we would find all the problems, and maybe some solutions.  Then they could write an instruction manual, saving everybody from having to communicate on inefficient forums to find out how to do things.  And of course, in an ideal world, they would set to work around the clock fixing the problems.

My understanding from an earlier post in this thread (although it has become confusing as several threads have been merged), is that at least one person compiled a list of issues from an earlier rollout in the July/August timeframe.

Going from memory, some bugs had been addressed, however many of the isuses we are seeing now were actually reported back then as well.

While I have sympathy for a rarely-used feature that becomes glitched, or dropped, it is more difficult to ignore basic functionality that have been altered, or blocked.    These should be discoverable through user scenario testing, just like you suggested above.

@ Rogers - You are free to contact me as well if you should wish to compile additional user scenarios.

mpfc75
I Plan to Stick Around

@scuddycat wrote:
It's gone, like so many of the other useful features of the old system.  Sadly, the only options are to either get used to it or move to Bell.  Rogers isn't bothering to fix anything.  They've know about these issues for months since the summer release and addressed very little in this latest release.

In fairness to Rogers, the January 2016 update did fix many issues identified with the initial Navigatr rollout that started in July 2015. Those of you who just recently got Navigatr have no idea how much better it is now.

Having said that, the Navigatr PVR is still nowhere near as useful as the non-Navigatr version and I can't really think of one feature that is better than before (unless you like pretty pictures).

My biggest frustration is the lack of communication and transparency on the issues and what they are doing about them. Over the summer I asked Rogers multiple times what issues were they were working on for the next update and I was told the list wasn't available.  As I said, had they told us that "we have heard your complaints and there is an update coming in January that will resolved the following issues..." I would have been less frustrated with the original Navigatr knowing help was on the way. Then when I was notified that the January update was coming all the communication said was that they were adding images, had a new layout with better background contrast, and easier to read fonts.  Yes those were improvements, but it didn't note that they were also fixing some serious bugs and omissions that actually made it better.

Please Rogers, I'm happy you are listening to the complains in this forum but I for one would greatly appreciate you publicly identifying this issues you are actively working on for the next release.