Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

On December 15, 2015, I let everyone know that we had started to roll out the updated Navigatr guide.  Take a look here for that post. 

As we continue to roll out the update, customers will be notified ahead of time that they will be getting the new software.

If you have received the updated Navigatr software (i.e. since December 15, 2015) and would like to ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings, please do so in THIS THREAD.  

As always, the Community Guidelines and Terms of Use apply.

Thanks very much for keeping the community a pleasant place to be!

~RogersMargaret

1,177 REPLIES 1,177

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Customer01 - the list is available in the following link - just cut/paste:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

ALDK
I've Been Here Awhile

Absolutely everything is wrong with this navigator bar, one would almost think they want to get out of the cable buissness and concentrate on cell phones, especially now that the CRTC has set new guidelines for pricing. I for one will be looking for a different satelite co. unless they bring back the automatic channel change when setting a reminder, which I need for my husband who is quadripligic. 

RedBerry11
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok I am trying to watch my Joyce Meyers recordings ,says I have 38 lets me scroll down to fourth one, is this another bad joke about Navigator? When is Rogers going to fix simple issues like the channel changeing when you set a reminder? The funniest one is does anyone realize that in the new NetBox series there has never been a way to set the box to turn off .It use to be an option. You would assume that any sort of power saving options would be mandatory these days .Every bit of power people can save theese days counts. If you have 3 NetBoxes running for no reason I am sure it would add up and they should turn off if inactive. 

Mostly what is the point of having 38 recordings no way to scroll to them come on!

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

@ALDK wrote:

Absolutely everything is wrong with this navigator bar, one would almost think they want to get out of the cable buissness and concentrate on cell phones, especially now that the CRTC has set new guidelines for pricing. I for one will be looking for a different satelite co. unless they bring back the automatic channel change when setting a reminder, which I need for my husband who is quadripligic. 

I agree, about appearing they are not really interested in the cable business.  Certainly, what has gone on shows lack of interest in customer satisfaction, at the management level.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RedBerry11 wrote:

The funniest one is does anyone realize that in the new NetBox series there has never been a way to set the box to turn off .It use to be an option. You would assume that any sort of power saving options would be mandatory these days .Every bit of power people can save theese days counts.

Do you mean a sleep timer, where you can set the box to turn off after a certain period in case you fall asleep watching? I believe that feature was left off with Navigatr. But if you had been following these threads since about Christmas, Navigatr did introduce a feature where the box turned completely off to save power after about 3 hours of inactivity, missing scheduled recordings until you rebooted it the next day. Customers were outraged, so Rogers removed that "feature".

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, here is the thread on the topic of the Energy Saving portion of the Navigatr firmware which Rogers tried to implement in the Navigatr December rollout:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Unfortunately, the firmware was not properly written for PVRs.  Instead of going to sleep, the PVR went into a coma requiring you to reboot the PVR.  Part of the issue appeared to be that button presses when watching a recording were not recognized as "activity", therefore the PVR went to sleep after 3-4 hours unless you watched live TV.  If this weren't bad enough, the PVR could not be reawakened without being rebooted.  With proper testing and code, it should be possible to write firmware to save energy, but we all know what sort of testing has been performed on Navigatr and none of it appears to have been done properly.

The issue also affected the 4642 STB which turned off after 3-4 hours of inactivity.  This isn't an issue for most people, but some people have these STBs in front of DVD recorders, VCRs, or HTPCs and if they switch off, they make recording impossible.  It also meant that the power funtionality may become out of synch with a TV causing one to be on with the other off - very confusing for those who don't understand what's happening, or how to get them back in synch. (say by turning only the TV on or off)

As an FYI, Rogers tried something similar with the SA8300HDs in 2010 (spin the HDDs down) but since they didn't write/test the firmware properly then either, they had to revert to leaving the SA8300HD HDDs spinning.

So, as you can tell, the issue of energy saving is not a straight-forward one.  One way around it would be to make energy saving an option in the firmware, like it is on many devices. That way the user can decide if his viewing habits allow for the feature to work properly.  I'm certainly interested in saving energy, but only if it doesn't adversely affect the operation of the equipment.

Customer01
I Plan to Stick Around

I would like to ask the Rogers moderators if the  information from this Forum re issues with Navigatr is being forwarded to the appropriate department to be dealt with.   Since there has been no public acknowledgement to customers by management, via email or other means, and many of the issues have been so longstanding, I am not sure that they are listening, or interested.

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Customer01 wrote:

I would like to ask the Rogers moderators if the  information from this Forum re issues with Navigatr is being forwarded to the appropriate department to be dealt with.   Since there has been no public acknowledgement to customers by management, via email or other means, and many of the issues have been so longstanding, I am not sure that they are listening, or interested.

This is a good and appropriate question. That said, even if the answer is "yes" I am not filled with confidence that the information is used at all. Just becasue it is passed up the line doesn't mean it doesn't just go into a trash bin of some higher-up.  

At this juncture, given all the hostility vented on this board, other forums, the Rogers Twitterfeed and the Rogers Facebook page there is no way that Rogers can claim ignorance of the problem. They KNOW.

The fact that there STILL has been no public discourse, let alone even an acknowledgement from Rogers speaks in the loudest volumes that they are just going to tough this out and our concerns are not going to make them alter course.

As a PR/communications strategy and a way to handle customer concerns, their "let them suffer" approach gets an #epicfail mark.

Maybe it is time to go to the media and some consumer ombudsman? Time for Ellen Roseman at the Star to update her article from January:  http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/01/05/rogers-navigatr-still-feels-lost-to-many-roseman.html

DrMike

@DrMike wrote:

Maybe it is time to go to the media and some consumer ombudsman? Time for Ellen Roseman at the Star to update her article from January:  http://www.thestar.com/business/2016/01/05/rogers-navigatr-still-feels-lost-to-many-roseman.html

I just tweeted to Ellen Roseman of The Star (who has written on Navigatr before)

"[1/2] Read your articles about Rogers Navigatr with interest, but situation is FAR worse than you describe. Users are fuming."

"[2/2] Suggest you read this for e.g. https://t.co/Y8dRn65TSS to see 1600+ msgs deploring it.  Or this: https://t.co/RDhBVMVz0t

This is a great start, but I suggest that interested community members do the same.  I forwarded my concerns and on-going Navigatr issues via PM to her on the 20th.  I am hopeful Ellen will consolidate this feedback, reach out to Rogers, and report back with a new article.

DrMike

Also tweeted to @Rogershelps (more bad publicity can't hurt right....) 

"@rogershelps  Navigatr customers are Fuming. This forum alone for e.g.  Do you care? https://t.co/Y8dRn65TSS https://t.co/RDhBVMVz0t"

"@rogershelps  When a community member has to do your job for you, it's a pretty deplorable situation. https://t.co/RDhBVMVz0t"

Johnrc123
I Plan to Stick Around

@sethlwilson wrote:

I had heard horror stories about Bell and Fibe... 

Me too. But I can't imagine how anything could be worse than this Navigatr. Pretty safe guess that anything else would be at least, as you say, half-baked. Going to a Bell shop this week to find out. Months with no explanation or solution and the continued deafening silence has left a stain on the Rogers name.

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

Too frustrating to go into all the issues today.  Slow, slow, slow, and jumping all over the place when I push a button, especially the red record button,

so, I am trying to do a reboot. 

That used to be done through Troubleshooting, but today when I finally found Troubleshooting which wasn't easy because the system is slow, slow, slow to respond to any button pushed, pushing Trobleshooting (once) (after many trys) took me to a screen with no reboot options.

Does anyone have a quick box reboot key?  Not a factory reboot, but a box reboot? 

Maybe they've moved reboot somewhere I haven't discovered yet?

Edit: Trying removing the power and will replug the box in a few minutes.  Seems to me that used to trigger a reboot.  We'll see.

2nd Edit: That has triggered a reboot.

3rd Edit: Yes, that did trigger a box reboot. 

1945mdh
I Plan to Stick Around
Start planning your first anniversary party now - 'cause Rogers doesn't care. They plan to tough this one out in the hopes that we all go away.

mfait
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Cush wrote:

Too frustrating to go into all the issues today.  Slow, slow, slow, and jumping all over the place when I push a button, especially the red record button,

That used to be done through Troubleshooting, but today when I finally found Troubleshooting which wasn't easy because the system is slow, slow, slow to respond to any button pushed, pushing Trobleshooting (once) (after many trys) took me to a screen with no reboot options.

Press "Settings" button

Scroll down to "Troubleshooting"

Press Select and you'll see an optin to "Reboot set-top Box"

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Cush wrote:

Does anyone have a quick box reboot key?  Not a factory reboot, but a box reboot? 

Edit: Trying removing the power and will replug the box in a few minutes.  Seems to me that used to trigger a reboot.  We'll see.

Its in the same place it was under RTN.....Troubleshooting->Diagnostics

Hello @Customer01,

@RogersMargaret had posted a few weeks ago reassuring the Community that we are monitoring all the feedback and sending it to the appropriate groups. Please see the link below. 

Link: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Cush
I Plan to Stick Around

@Lurker wrote:

@Cush wrote:

Its in the same place it was under RTN.....Troubleshooting->Diagnostics

mfait and lurker,

Not today.  Not on my box.  I have used it often.  Even used it a couple of times since Navigatr was uploaded to us, but not today.  Cannot describe how frustrating this whole thing is.

For anyone caught like I was - you can cause a box reboot by unplugging your box for a few minutes and then re-plugging.

remaxman

I'm sure rogers is well aware of the problems and working on it. They are loosing millions because no one can order any thing from the on demand services. on affected boxes of course.

Steve

remaxman

I kind of agree on the toughing out. They want the nebox 3 to disappear and make room for the 4K PVR this spring. You will get a deal on the 4K if you turn in your NB3 yada yada. Im sure they 4k pvr will be perfect with the Navigator software. hahahahahahaha.

Steve

DoneInDurham
I Plan to Stick Around

Just got my weekly automated call from Rogers saying they are still working on my "ticket from January 16th, sorry for the delay".