UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

You wish to post your concerns on Rogers FaceBook page. The Rogers staff does respond. Take a look at my posting.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Steelheader wrote:

You wish to post your concerns on Rogers FaceBook page. The Rogers staff does respond. Take a look at my posting.

Dream on. I have posted to FB, have gone on Twitter, had DM with RogersHelps via Twitter etc. makes no difference. Yes they *respond*. Just like the Mods here *respond*.

Everyone says they are passing the info "up the line" to the appropriate teams. Have you seen any concrete examples of where that has helped? Does anyone "up the line" care?

Appears not.....

I even tweeted and stated a convo with consumer reporter Ellen Roseman of the Toronto Star who has written about Navigatr and Rogers before. Even that went nowhere (as best I can tell...) 

Keep trying by all means and thanks for your efforts, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a positive outcome.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Steelheader wrote:

Hi Steelheader,

I had a look at the Rogers FB page, and found the Visitor posts section that opens a little window.  Read down through numerous complaint posts.  It turns out people are also upset with the Rogers Internet service.  That was good to know.

As far as your post (I have no idea which one was yours) and all the other people complaining about Navigatr, the responses from Rogers just look like another layer of buffer.  I couldn't see any actual Rogers response that gave any time frame for fixing anything.  At least the Rogers employees on FB do acknowledge that a lot of people are unhappy though.  Maybe that's progress.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello fellow Navihatrs!

Hope you're doing well. I've been off the forums for a while enjoying the better things in life (Navigatr not included), but something has come up to bring me back. For the last week or so, playback of various recordings causes my box to completely freeze. Let's use Naked and Afraid as an example. Starts playing back fine, gets to the 30 minute mark, box freezes. Hit power, wait two minutes or so and either the box shuts off or reboots itself. Start playback again from the beginning. Fast forward to the 29 minute mark. Hit play. Box freezes again at 30 minute mark. Only way to get past it is to FF past the 30 minute mark. Interestingly, same thing is happening when playing back via a separate box connected to this PVR via Whole Home.

Called Rogers and they checked my signals and think it's a signal issue to the box. They want to send a technician. Sounds like complete BS to me. Unless the box is so stupid that a bad signal causes it to record corrupt data which hoses any box that tries to play it back. What do you think? Has anyone else experienced this? Seems more like a software issue to me. Of course the Rogers tech hadn't heard anything about it. They never have.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@shan-man wrote:

Called Rogers and they checked my signals and think it's a signal issue to the box. They want to send a technician. Sounds like complete BS to me. Unless the box is so stupid that a bad signal causes it to record corrupt data which hoses any box that tries to play it back. What do you think? Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, a bad signal can cause an issue with a recording, perhaps to the extent that it will not play.  If they're sending a technician, I assume they checked your signal remotely and found it lacking.  Many issues come from a bad signal - like bad recordings, VOD problems, or even just normal operation of the PVR because it's not a "stand alone" system any more - often "calling in" to the head and for channels, or rights, or firmware, or whatever.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@shan-man wrote:

Called Rogers and they checked my signals and think it's a signal issue to the box. They want to send a technician. Sounds like complete BS to me. Unless the box is so stupid that a bad signal causes it to record corrupt data which hoses any box that tries to play it back. What do you think? Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, a bad signal can cause an issue with a recording, perhaps to the extent that it will not play.  If they're sending a technician, I assume they checked your signal remotely and found it lacking.  Many issues come from a bad signal - like bad recordings, VOD problems, or even just normal operation of the PVR because it's not a "stand alone" system any more - often "calling in" to the head and for channels, or rights, or firmware, or whatever.

The first tech I spoke with said there was a signal problem. Then I rebooted the box and spoke to another tech and they said the signals were just fine. Does this indicate a failing box? Or an intermittent signal issue? I'm quite skeptical about the need for a technician - it just seems so odd that a box would completely freeze when playing back corrupt content. Dropping frames, audio, etc. makes sense. But to lock up...?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Check the signal yourself at different times of the day.

For 9865 (NextBox 3.0) & 8642 (NB2.0) & 4642 with latest firmware using the remote:
1) Press and hold the Exit key for two seconds until the power LED flashes on the front panel of the PVR
2) In quick succession, press the down arrow button twice, then press the 2 button. This will get you into the diagnostics section where you can browse all kinds of information.

The signal strength should be between -10dB and +10, with zero being about optimum (for digital stations)

The S/N ratio is good if it’s at about 35 dB or higher, although a good HD signal can be received with slightly lower numbers. If your S/N is around 30-32 (or less) though, that could be a source of problems.

If you've got an 8642 (NB2) and WHPVR, then the hardware is probably overloaded as soon as anything out of the ordinary happens.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57,

Thanks for the help. I was able to get into the diagnostics. I see that S/N ratio is 40.30 but I'm not sure what else to check. Any pointers on what screens to look at?

Thanks!

I Plan to Stick Around

Technician came out and says signal is perfectly fine. He suspects a software problem on the box with the copyright decoding. Said he's never seen it that bad. Suggested a box swap but wasn't particularly confident that that would solve the problem (since playback on all boxes is affected). I suspect firmware problem. Diagnostics lists March 5 as firmware date. Coincides pretty nicely with beginning of freezes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A bug maybe in the latest firmware then maybe? Smiley Sad

Thats the HARDES part of software development.

I do VERY little myself at my work.. very MINOR stuff.. minor web based, some minor apps to connect to DBs, etc.
But one of the reasons i never got FULLY into software development is because of these sorts of things.

You find a bug which casues X to happen.
Ok.  Track down WHERE X happens in the code... now try and figure ALL the variables which cause the bug (as it may not happen with ALL things on that part of the code).
Ok.  Now try to fix that part of the code so when you do that, it doesnt happen anymore.
Oh.. but look.. by changing that.. you effected how a different part now acts.. and can break that part.