UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@Square wrote:
Why can't someone from the tech department write notes to explain what changes are implemented in each new software update?

Nothing new that I have found, same boring, downgrade of software.

Yes, key words: explain and write notes. Customers should never be left guessing.

I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Danno wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you work for Rogers? Because you seem to be certain about Navigatr being here to stay in spite of the superior performance of the previous U.I. and thousands of complaints from customers regarding the failed Navigatr rollout.

@57 does not work for Rogers. He's a moderator on Digitalhome.ca where he runs the TV and home theatre stuff. We're lucky he finds time in his busy schedule to visit here. You would have to go back to the beginning of the Navigatr threads to learn the details why there is no way back to the previous U.I. You're now stuck with Navigatr and must hope it gets fixed to where it's acceptable, or a brand new interface is developed.

I vote for a brand new interface.  Soon.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@pmcsplaza wrote:

With the new Navigatr format, which I actually like, there's one major failing: 

"One major failing?"  There are quite a few actually.

One of the many major failings I don't like is having to click on the tile to see the name of the program and the date of the recording. Why isn't that information on the tile?  You also have to exit each time and then you end up back at the newest recording rather than the tile you just viewed. I end up wasting a lot of time going back and forth to review the recordings. This problem has been identified ever since this thread started.  

Someone also said there are a list of fixes.  I have never seen any list of fixes. There is list of problems but none have ever been acknowledged by Rogers and no one knows if or when they are going to fix them. 

Since Rogers practices what is called Mushroom Management, don't expect your one major failing to be heard or fixed any time soon.   Sadly, all we can do in this forum is  commiserate on our unfortunate circumstances.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

In the July 28th Navigatr thread @roxandtreez made a list of issues. That list contained more than 40 "issues". Some of them were major, some of them not so major.  By the December/January rollout of the revised firmware, some of the issues were resolved.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Things like the following have been "fixed": 

- Not being able to turn on CC while watching a recording (should be a lot easier though).

- Not being able to turn off "more like this" (related content)

- Going to the incorrect programme when you stop a recording to delete it, causing you to delete the incorrect programme.

- Firmware deleting existing recordings when loaded onto 8642s

- Some other minor quibbles.

- The portion of the firmware to save energy that sent PVRs into a coma was removed.

Rogers still has a lot of work to do to get this working properly though and we keep our fingers crossed.  Here's the list after the December/January rollout.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I don't have the latest firmware which was rolled out in the past couple of weeks to some people, but some other issues were supposedly resolved (6.0.1.0110):

- Settings option available on 8642s

- Slightly more responsive 8642s

- Memory leak on 9865s that caused sluggishness appears to be fixed.

- Some other minor random issues supposedly addressed.

If Rogers can properly address a half dozen issues every month or two, that would be great.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

In the July 28th Navigatr thread @roxandtreez made a list of issues. That list contained more than 40 "issues". Some of them were major, some of them not so major.  By the December/January rollout of the revised firmware, some of the issues were resolved.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Things like the following have been "fixed": 

- Not being able to turn on CC while watching a recording (should be a lot easier though).

- Not being able to turn off "more like this" (related content)

- Going to the incorrect programme when you stop a recording to delete it, causing you to delete the incorrect programme.

- Firmware deleting existing recordings when loaded onto 8642s

- Some other minor quibbles.

- The portion of the firmware to save energy that sent PVRs into a coma was removed.

Rogers still has a lot of work to do to get this working properly though and we keep our fingers crossed.  Here's the list after the December/January rollout.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I don't have the latest firmware which was rolled out in the past couple of weeks to some people, but some other issues were supposedly resolved (6.0.1.0110):

- Settings option available on 8642s

- Slightly more responsive 8642s

- Memory leak on 9865s that caused sluggishness appears to be fixed.

- Some other minor random issues supposedly addressed.

If Rogers can properly address a half dozen issues every month or two, that would be great.

I have been very fortunate not to have some of the severe technical issues that many have experienced.

My complaints have revolved around the poor functionality of the new PVR software.  I think pretty much everyone agrees it's terrible.

I have had some correspondence with the Office Of The President (OOP).  I have sent photos of the interface on my TV and explained the issues, and also the fact that the FAQ are inadequate and incorrect.  The latter information was forwarded to the tech department, who forwarded to someone else, and I don't know what happened after that.

Today I reached the end of the road.  I was told that the tiles are here to stay, and what I am seeing, or not seeing, is by design and unlikely to change.

So I will not be seeing date and time details in a tile.  And I will not be seeing time and length of recording details when I click on the tile.  I will not be able to differentiate between recordings that have the same tile poster, and are on the same date, until I watch the show and figure it out from what I see or hear on the show.  Hard to believe, but that is what I have been told.

As far as design of the interface goes, including menus, what we see now is what we are going to get.

WOW!

They just don't get it.

So, no, they are not going to be resolving half a dozen issues every month or so.

So, everyone on this Forum, there's your answer.

And I, as a consumer, am going to take my money elsewhere.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am gobsmacked. Probably one of many readers of your jaw-dropping post. I've never seen anything so utterly careless towards customers. A real clear flip of the bird to those of us who pay quite a lot of money every month. 

Of course, like you, I and am sure many, many others will take our business elsewhere. I just can't for the life of me figure out why Rogers so clearly doesn't care. Just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I still encourage anyone disappointed in this to do as Rogers states on its bills, and submit a complaint to the CRTC (government commission overseeing telecom companies). It's quite quick and easy. Here's the link: 

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/rapidsccm/Default-Defaut.aspx

I'm also now aware of another organization set up to field complaints about telecom. Originally set up for wireless service complaints they apparently also field cable TV complaints now known as Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form

Truly incredible.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Johnrc123 wrote:

I am gobsmacked. Probably one of many readers of your jaw-dropping post. I've never seen anything so utterly careless towards customers. A real clear flip of the bird to those of us who pay quite a lot of money every month. 

Of course, like you, I and am sure many, many others will take our business elsewhere. I just can't for the life of me figure out why Rogers so clearly doesn't care. Just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I still encourage anyone disappointed in this to do as Rogers states on its bills, and submit a complaint to the CRTC (government commission overseeing telecom companies). It's quite quick and easy. Here's the link: 

https://services.crtc.gc.ca/pub/rapidsccm/Default-Defaut.aspx

I'm also now aware of another organization set up to field complaints about telecom. Originally set up for wireless service complaints they apparently also field cable TV complaints now known as Commissioner for Complaints for Telecommunications Services:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/complaint-form

Truly incredible.

Absolutely beyond belief, and agree, makes no sense.  That's why I stuck with it up to this point, thinking that, like any normal business, they would sort it all out.  But, inexplicably, that is apparently not going to happen.

Thanks for the links.  I will register my complaints.

I Plan to Stick Around

@User14 wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

WOW!

They just don't get it.

So, no, they are not going to be resolving half a dozen issues every month or so.

Customer01,

I tried to indicate my agreement with your comment about the OOPs not listening to consumers but I am afraid it was deleted as Off Topic.  

The OOP corresponded with me re the issues I have, and even forwarded some items, but there simply nothing that can be done about it, since the company is committed to the current design.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Customer01 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

@Customer01 wrote:

WOW!

They just don't get it.

Customer01,

I tried to indicate my agreement with your comment about the OOPs not listening to consumers but I am afraid it was deleted as Off Topic.  

The OOP corresponded with me re the issues I have, and even forwarded some items, but there simply nothing that can be done about it, since the company is committed to the current design.

What they don't understand then, is that it is is not (in my opinion anyway) so much an issue of the current *design* per se, as it is a function of the fact that this "design" has been implemented in the most amateurish way imaginable. It is the #epicfail in the FUNCTIONALITY, not the design itself.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

That is no longer possible with Navigatr.  You cannot set the PVR to record just a portion of a programme, nor can you set a manual recording, which was useful for some people in some instances.  I'm guessing that it was not used by the vast majority though.

You can record a portion if you're watching "live".  You can switch to the channel at the appropriate time, hit record, then hit stop at the appropriate time.  I do this sometimes when I tune to a channel just before a song is played on say MuchMoreRetro or one of the Galaxie channels.

If I am going to do that, it means I have to be at the PVR when the segment starts. If I am going to do that, then I may as well watch it live. I need that option for when I don't want to or can't sit at the PVR waiting for start and finish.