UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@DrMike wrote:

After the fact, can I go into the Zombie tiles and actually delete the series schedule now to get rid of these annoying empty "placeholders" that will NEVER get reactivated?

Per the instructions in the following "How To", simply click on the tile, scroll up to the scheduled tab, if applicable, and scroll to the right side for "Cancel all Scheduled Recordings".

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Also check out the following Summary/Tips.  Reading these "How To" and "Summary/Tips" posts for a few minutes will save you hours of frustration and answer almost all questions.:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

I'm a Senior Contributor

@57 wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

After the fact, can I go into the Zombie tiles and actually delete the series schedule now to get rid of these annoying empty "placeholders" that will NEVER get reactivated?

Per the instructions in the following "How To", simply click on the tile, scroll up to scheduled tab if applicable and scroll to the right side for "Cancel all Scheduled Recordings".

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Also check out the following Summary/Tips - reading these How To and Summary/Tips posts for a few minutes will save you hours of frustrations and questions.:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Yes, thanks. I probably should have just gone to the TV and looked before I posted the question about deleting - it was actually pretty obvious how to delete them. That said, I am not likely to bother now that I know a) what these stupid remnants are and b) how to delete them.  I have a LOT of zombies and of course as soon as I delete one of them, the system exits me back to the top of the tile list and I have no patience to scroll endlessly every single time to keep getting back to where I thought I left off. just one more user-UNfriendly feature of this dung heap program.

The zombies will live another day. I don't even care anymore....

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. even if the scrolling re set.. IF we were able to scroll UP to go to the bottom, wouldnt be so bad.

But as 57 mentioned already.. yeah.. you should be able to just go in and set/remove those if you dont want them anymore.

I have about 3 left on mine.. but they are one which it WILL be starting back up soon.. so i dont want to get rid of the schedule yet.

BUT when navigatr first rolled out, i had a LOT of them there.. there were from stuff that there was a series recording set for something which is long over and would never record again.

Makes you wonder.. on RTN.. on how many of those 'series' recordings were THERE, floating aimlessly in the background, never to record anything again.   Could it have been a drain on resources? (That it was having to check ANYWAYS if there was anything that matched it criteria each week, etc?)

I'm a Senior Contributor

Or, if there was a way to perform an action on multiple tiles at once. If you could use the equivalent of the windows Control key or some other way to select multiple adjacent or multiple nonadjacent tiles to perform the same action then this would be a huge advantage. But the very nature of having a separate tile for every single thing even if it should be already grouped under some other tile seems to be the hallmark of this new "design". Heaven forbid we should try to design something that actually is user friendly!
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, I finally made it through all the tiles and got rid of the ones that just wouldn't pick up again.  Almost all of the series recordings that were on hiatus for anywhere from one week to one month or so, along with a few that were not, just didn't move up to the scheduled sections.  I will stop looking every day now, will check my Monday, Tuesday, Wed, and Thursday which are my heaviest recording days - we go to bed early (my wife anyway) on work days.

I now use TV.com to identify which shows are coming up and if they are on a break, and if by Sunday, the next week shows are not up there, I just delete the zombies, and set it up from the guide again.

Nuicance, but as with @park I do actually like the feature, when it works.

I have the challenge of a mental health disorder that creates paranoia and OCD, but I thank Park for pointing out how he does it - it broke the cycle and my attitude towards it.  Think of Howy Mandell and you will see a more severe example of me.  I am learning how to break the cycles and work with the issues, or around them - watch Howey when he bumps hands, his careful hugs, and if someone who knows them spontaneously hugs him they always sincerely apologize, or ask him first.

Amazing that Rogers has provided me with so many situations that have helped my therapist and I with help from many of you to deal with the issues that arise.

So I can move on today, have the zombies cleaned up, I think, and will calmly deal with it when it comes.

Thanks everyone. Just one's person view of this feature and learning how to live with it.  Not that I don't want it to improved, say with the reference to network, channel, date, time so I could know if something has changed.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Tiles versus lists - just for giggles, my wife and I put Netflix which has the same tile model, and used it on our phone with touch screen - tiles are great on a touch screen - swipe to navigate, touch the tile to go deeper and move immediately through choices.

Analogue remotes are designed for text and movement by curser (up down, left right) movements.  Macros are imbedded in the remote or at least some for things like day up day down, guide rather than going into menu and choosing, double click of guide for regular guide versus favourites, Fav button to easily add and change favourites (the old way anyway), music button, on demand button, list to avoid the use of the c for sorting and selecting, live button to close out of a view and go back to your last show hd takes you up into the alternative hd channels in the 500 ranges up, a,b,c,d all are macros, info and menu contain shortcuts.

Carefully designed application of macros or program routines of repetetive steps to achieve an end goal make remotes more efficient to use, but all of these features are useless in general when you go to tiles, although some of these buttons avoid going to the menu.

So we figured out through comparison why tiles work on Netflix on a touch screen, and do not work well on an analogue model of user inputs using directional keys and selection of choices.

Yes, it could be said that we just need to get used to it, or learn to deal with the change, but change is very difficult and makes people resistant when no instruction is provided, no logic is given why the choice was made, and no step by step process like has been done for users on this forum, done by @Gdkitty.  With this extremely helpful guide, all created through the input of the forum members (not Rogers), allows us to learn to deal with the change.  We still have the right to say we dislike it, and suggest alternatives, but we can at least easily figure out how to use the device with relative ease now.

The video media industry (not saying Cable, Fibe or any company), the whole industry is in transition at the moment, and this current attempt moves us closer to whatever will be avaible in the future tech models, but for now, this attempt was a dismal failure in implementation, and communication, and responsivemenss to customer concerns.

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey Gerim, When you say playback is it only when you're playing back recorded shows? My frame drops always occur with live video, I actually never checked with video on PVR playback.

I Plan to Stick Around

Using the Netflix-like tiles, IMHO, for search results, which is the latest major step backwards in the utility of the Navigatr interface that arrived on my PVR  a few days ago, is nothing short of horrible.  Netflix has MouseOver so you immediately see all you need to know about the video. NOT so, on TV. Using tiles for the recorded programs is very slightly better than in search results, but still a serious downgrade compared to lists.  We need information on the recorded and scheduled programs and especially on search results.  Obviously, I need to know the title of the show or program, including the teams in a sporting event.  However, the teams should NOT be included when recording a series.  I am currently unable to schedule multiple recordings for my BPL soccer because a few years ago the team names were moved from "information" to the program title, which completely threw the ability to record a series of games under the bus!  (Well, you would think that you could record the two games a year where the team names are the same, but as they reverse the order, you cannot. 😉

In addition to the show details, I need to know the channel and ideally whether I am subscribed to it or not, or have the Guide filter for subscribed channels only, carry through to search results.  I need to know the date, so I can tell if it is recorded or still only scheduled, or some indication that it is recorded, or not. Personally, I prefer to keep scheduled recordings separate from recorded programs.  This, too, was a step backward, I feel.

One thing is for sure - black rectangles with some graphic (that is essentially meaningless mostly) and only a partial title of the show is completely insufficient information on which to base a decision as to whether you want to click on it or not.  Given the slow response now, it really is a show stopper to have to click on an icon that looks like it might be what you want to record, only to find that you do not get that channel, or the teams, or content is of no interest, or it is not even the correct program.  I will now have to waste hours of my leisure time (which I do not have a lot of, like most of you folks nowadays) clicking on tiles (which so far are almost totally not what I want) until I finally fnd the few really good games in the BPL this week that I want to watch.  Quite frankly, if they do not fix this really quickly, I will finally, after over 30 years of loyalty to Rogers, give Bell and others a call and see what they have to offer.  ;(

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@PoppaGray, I strongly suggest you look into using AnyPlace Web for your computer/browser or RAPTV (app) for tablet, or the appropriate app for specific phone to do your searches and to check your list of recordings and/or scheduled recordings.

Even before Navigatr, I used AnyPlace/Web/Computer or RAPTV for my iPad for all my searches and the vast majority of the programming I did on the PVR.  Although it's not perfect and is down sometimes (one day per quarter and the occasional hour here or there) it's still far preferable to searching on the PVR itself, since the searches on it are so kludgy.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/anyplace-tv/284?setLanguage=en

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/manage-pvr/231?setLanguage=en

I Plan to Stick Around

Adrian92

my issue is with PVR playback, but then I record almost everything I watch so I can skip commercials and watch very little "live" TV.