UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
User14
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@DrMike wrote:

At  one time I had thought that the downloads and upgrades were going to be limited to something in the neighbourhood of 2 am. However over the last many months or longer I have seen downloads at all times of day or night. And that in itself is QUITE INFURIATING. If you have a recording scheduled then it of course gets interrupted and even if it resumes (sometimes it seems to and sometimes not) your recording is now rendered useless. Just one more way Rogers disrespects its paying customers.

In a pinch or emergency, sure I understand, but for a routine service - why the heck can't they do it overnight when the likelihood of interrupting a recording is minimal?

Good point. It may explain some of those missed recordings people have.  I thought the updates were overnight as well.

Just to emphasize the randomness of the updates, at 8:50 am today 2 June 2016 when my wife turned on the TV and the NB3 , "dnLd" was on the PVR display again.  Now, I had watched this TV earlier 7:30am and had turned it off. It seems to "dnLd" when you turn the NB3 box for a second time.   So, I tried this with our NB2 PVR. No "dnLd" there, so it seems to be a NB3 issue again. 

After 10 minutes I went back to the NB3 box and turned it on and if worked fine. Of course, my wife asked me what did I do. She was upset she could not watch at 8:50am. She said "that's not just stupid, it's crazy stupid".  I am putting her comment here in this post as relevant data for Rogers on this issue. 

I'll also repeat my question to see if anyone from Rogers will answer me:

Does anyone know if the Navigatr updates occur at a regularly scheduled date and time, or is it random? I would also like to know what functionality was changed, if anything. Does anyone know if that information is available to clients? 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The REGULAR updates.. are generally at night.. between 12-2 sort of range usually i beleive?

That there was one at 11ish am... often ones like that are when there is a new firmware push.. can happen any time.

Possibly was a firmware update?

But yes.. a listing of WHAT was then actually updates/suposedly fixed, would be nice.

yyz64
I Plan to Stick Around

The random downloads seem to happen quite a bit lately.I've seen them in the morning afternoon and that is just when I happen to go by the box and see it.

To get back to the problem I had a week or so ago with the no weather,call display it appears the resolution was a box.After the tech visit I did put back the NB3 to where it came from,removed the attenuator that was installed and the box is working.So I had a bad box,replaced it with a bad box and then had a tech replace with a good box.He also mentioned that the "refurbishment" of the boxes can certainly leave something to be desired at times but right now  Iam working. One "fix" I would like to see is in regards to the green D button that brings up the local weather.When you are done you need to press Exit to remove it.Wouldn't it be easier to just have the D button toggle it on/off with each press so you don't have to go around the remote pressing another button?Common sense I suppose but not surprising with the people who have written this software.

CC
I Plan to Stick Around

@User14 wrote:

@User14 wrote:

Another problem to add to the long list of Navigatr faults.

We taped two "Person of Interest" prgrams back to back. The first tile had a picture on the tile that said "Motive" which was not the right program to display. When you scroll over it  however, with the blue square outline, then the text says "Person of Interest" and behind the text you can still faintly see the "Motive" picture. If you select the program the description for the Person of Interest program appears. When you exit and scroll over to the second tile for the "Person of Interest" you see the right text with the "Person of Interest" and also the right tile picture displayed for that program.  Selecting it also give you the right description of the program.  

Just another glitch to let this suffering community know that what you tape may not be displayed by the picture you see on the tile. We certainly hope that when we actually watch the two programs, they are the right ones.

No point calling tech support on this, unless they have it on their white board. Perhaps someone from this community can speculate on why this glitch occurs and hopefully get a credit on your bill.

On an NB3 box. 

I just wanted to let the community know that this glitch is systemic.  It happened again!  We taped two separate "Person of Interest" programs on 24 May 2016. As we all know the channel and time of recordings are not displayed for a single recording,  but I believe the programs were at 9 and 10pm on CTV channel 518 in our area.  The two programs recorded, but another "Person of Interest" was also recorded at 10 pm with the picture of the program "Motive" from BRAVO in the tile. The picture was wrong, but it was the "Person of Interest" program in the description which was recorded. It was also a series recording for 10 pm on CTV as well (HCTVO).  There is another scheduled program for next week 31 May 2016 at 10 pm so I will see if it happens again. 

All this to remind folks you really need to manage what you are recording because you can actually create unintended problems when you try to ensure your program is recorded. We had a series recording and a separate recording of the same program and Navigatr appears to give you this apparent glitch. Hopefully, it will be added to the many Navigatr faults to be resolved in the distance future.  

I find it amazing how much information they have removed from just about all functions in the PVR. And they think this is an improvement? They could bring back the predecessor to NAVIGATR and there would be no loss of functionality and a whole lot of improvements. PVR functions are much more awkward now. 

CC
I Plan to Stick Around

The search function is terrible now. If a programme is on different channels, it only shows the first one. If you are searching for a movie, you could get 4 or 5 tiles. I was searching for a movie which I wanted to watch. In the results I got 5 tiles. I have to go to each tile to find out day time and channel. First two tiles were from Rogers on Demand SD and HD (requires payment). Next two tiles were for SuperChannel on Demand SD and HD. And the last one (which is what I wanted) was for the scheduled showing on Superchannel. Sometimes I don't even get any results (even though the programme is showing somewhere). What a piece of garbage. And we have to put up with this.

CC
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMargaret wrote:

@User14 wrote:

Question: If there is a functional problem with Navigator that is identified by the User Community, how does Rogers acknowledge the customer concerns with Navigatr and then address or fix the problem? 

This is primarily a peer-to-peer support community.  However, we do read each and every post.  As I have indicated in a previous post, we are taking the feedback and circulating it to the right people within the company.

@Gdkitty has also done a great job of summarizing the issues from this thread here.  If you have something new to add to the list, I'd suggest reaching out to Gdkitty directly.

When I have updates to share, I will do so either in this thread or in response to Gdkitty's 'issues' thread.

The problems for me have been around since Jan 2016 (earlier for some people). I call Rogers technical support just about every week because I encounter a different problems and I want them to know how much I am dissatisfied. But, over time, I don't see any improvements. It will not be easy to fix the problems because there are so many. It seems to be a design flaw, so anything short of a rewrite or a major fix to the system will not solve the problems. If they use the old system as a template and rewrite NAVIGATR, it would be far superior. I don't understand how NAVIGATR in it's present form made it to the point of release to the customers. Rogers should be ashamed.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CC wrote:

The search function is terrible now.

Agree, the search function on the PVR is terrible. I never use it. I didn't use it on the RTN firmware either.  I always use AnyPlace (web) - on my computer, on my tablet (RAPTV app), or on a smart phone.  Have done so for years.

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/anyplace-tv/284?setLanguage=en

It will show you many more, appropriate search results.

JonBoy49
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Anyone else experienced this issue?

Program shows in Guide as 60 minutes. Recording (series) is set to start on time and record +15 minutes. Previous recordings in the series worked perfectly. This week the Nextbox apparently decided that the last 15 minutes weren't worth watching and terminated the recording after precisely 45 minutes (lenght of show -15 instead of +15?) . And of course the show is not available on demand.

JohnnyCanuck13
I'm Here A Lot

JonBoy49, I haven't experienced that issue, but I encountered another new one. When trying to access my scheduled series recordings, I could only access my "scheduled" episodes, not the actual recorded episodes I wanted to watch. I had to reboot to get it working again.

Grahammer
I've Been Around

With the old system I would set a hockey game, football game, the Oscars or some other one off event, to record knowing that I was busy during the beginning of the program. Later I would start watching during recording and fast forward through commercials, or slow parts until caught up with live tv. With the new Navigator interface, the recorded program doesn't show up until it is done recording. You can only watch a recording in progress if it is a scheduled series and you already have a recorded icon for that show. This leaves a huge loop hole for special events or programs that don't have any recordings yet. I couldn't watch the Super Bowl or the Olympics events I recorded until it was done. This was previously a big reason to have PVR capability. A very large deficiency compared to Bell. Is there a solution?