UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@BS, what @baaddawg was referring to with "manual recordings" is the ability to set a start time and stop time, as you can with the SA8300 (SARA firmware).  Currently, you cannot start a programme late or end it early.

Some people may wonder why you would want this - Certain programming may be very long (Olympics for example) and someone may want to record only a portion of that programme. Currently that is impossible with Navigatr (and was impossible with the latest RTN), but it is possible with SARA.

I've also used it to record the pertinent part of the re-airing of a programme that I've watched previously - like a concert.  There may be several acts, and I only want one, or there may be many songs and I only want certain ones.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@baaddawg wrote:

Also I hate how you have no idea what channel has been recorded when there are multiple recordings in a tile.  You have to "watch" the program to find out.

With series recordings you can see the channel name. It's single recordings where you can't and have to start watching.  A workaround is to set series recordings even when you're only recording once.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Another reason to manual record is that sometimes (sports for example) the guide is wrong and the program you want to watch is actually on another channel than listed.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Ok, I do remember that feature and I did use it, but guess not enough to notice that it was gone.

Thanks for the clarification, @57  Can always count on you.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, you are both right @57 and @baaddawg.  We have somewhat worked around it by setting starts before and ends after to deal with times that wander from posted guide, and programming on the other channel when I realize that things in the guide do not match reality.

I have often wanted to be able to set times because when I watch Bill Mahr, I watch the intro, the key speaker, ignore the panel when there is someone who just wants to argue Trump style, and then jump to the guest speaker, and listen to Bill Mahr - I have better things to do with my time, and if I could start the recording, skipping panel when people are on I would love it, and record a second recording just at the  beginning, but fast forwarding works too - Unfortunately, I sometimes don't have the self control to fast forward - another therapy goal - I use technology to assist me so that I can do my therapy on controlling my viewing behaviour to times where I can manage it, and when I know I can'[t I use technology - it is like blocking myself from the forum at times, and completely even blocking any access through my blocking software in my router.

Yes, do bring back manual recording, now that I remember what it is.

This one is kind of an accommodation for me to deal with my disability, but I get my wife to help me and my therapist too.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RogersMargaret:

You stated in your edited post (link below)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

• Closed Captioning Accessibility
    Separate from the above mentioned issues with CC, it comes down to the accessibility of it.
    It is currently much more work to enable, compared to previous versions.
    Under the old version, just required you to press INFO, then two more clicks over to the CC button.
    Under Navigatr, it requires you to press info, then  to MORE, then to move all the way to enable CC.  At minimum 3x as many clicks (and that is by pressing UP, pressing down requires MORE presses)
    This needs to be MOVED to a more accessible location, best case on the INFO screen as before.
    • This was fixed in an enhancement deployed over the summer.

This is blatantly untrue. It still takes far too many steps to invoke CC.  Way more than it should.  The minimun number of clicks is 7 and it's many more if you go intuitively "down" instead of unintuitively "up".  The entire process of invoking CC is totally unintuitive and convoluted.  It should be corrected so that fewer steps are required.

• Selection Location after action preformed
    When viewing your scheduled recordings, if you perform an edit like deleting a scheduled recording, instead of going back to your "place" in the list/tiles, you are taken back to the top of the list. This is annoying since you may wish to do more editing.
    • This was fixed in an enhancement deployed over the summer.

This is also incorrect. When you finish deleting a programme, you are taken to the top of the list instead of being left in the location where you are working.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

We are expecting to have the upgrade rolled out across Ontario by the end of October.  Please refer to our TV - How To's for more information on the new features.

I will go there.

Thanks for listening and persisting Margaret, and everyone else, the customer.

Bruce

Please continue to provide your feedback in the Navigatr thread.  We continue to circulate your feedback with the appropriate teams in the company.  I will circle back to this thread to provide any future updates.

~RogersMargaret

@BS Going to the TV - How To's for more information on the new features only gives you a bit more info on the updates. Here are some of the links:@BS Going to the TV - How To's for more information on the new features only gives you a bit more info on the updates. Here are some of the links:

How To - Use the Netbox Navigatr Guide

How To - Navigate Through The Welcome Screens on Navigatr

How To - Delete Multiple Recordings on Navigatr

How To - Toggling BetweenTile View and List View on Navigatr

By the end of October, I  guess we will see something to comment on.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@57  Thanks for confirming the items that I reported, the more people who confirm the inaccuracy on the updates, the better.  You can even just say ditto, or I agree.

Margaret, I don't know if you are aloud to change anything or do what I am going to suggest or even to respond, but would it hurt to Rogers powers that be allow you to run the update across known people who are highly knowledgeable on this product, like @57, @Gdkitty, myself, @park, and a number of others (even your resident expert alone would be great), and get a validity check before it goes out and then concerns between Rogers and customers on this board could be minimized and less frustrating.

Just a suggestion, don't know if it is doable, and don't need a response to it.  Just please, Rogers people who read here, think about it.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14 wrote:

@BS wrote:

We are expecting to have the upgrade rolled out across Ontario by the end of October.  Please refer to our TV - How To's for more information on the new features.

I will go there.

Thanks for listening and persisting Margaret, and everyone else, the customer.

Bruce

Please continue to provide your feedback in the Navigatr thread.  We continue to circulate your feedback with the appropriate teams in the company.  I will circle back to this thread to provide any future updates.

~RogersMargaret

@BS Going to the TV - How To's for more information on the new features only gives you a bit more info on the updates. Here are some of the links:@BS Going to the TV - How To's for more information on the new features only gives you a bit more info on the updates. Here are some of the links:

How To - Use the Netbox Navigatr Guide

How To - Navigate Through The Welcome Screens on Navigatr

How To - Delete Multiple Recordings on Navigatr

How To - Toggling BetweenTile View and List View on Navigatr

By the end of October, I  guess we will see something to comment on.

Thanks for the links @RogersMargaret, the first link is of little use that I can see, appears to be much the same as the one from the July update, no references to the CC issue there that I can find, although I know it was reported elsewhere.  I will give the benefit of doubt and hope that when the update comes that some of the issues of the CC will be either improved, or at least the instructions changed to reflect the reality of the known solution which is to hit info when in navigtr, live tv viewing, to hit guide, then info when doing any other viewing from non-live TV such as on demand tv, shomi, which will soon be gone, but we still need to know for now, pay as you go, and pvr playback.  And to fully describe the easiest steps - the current descriptions available do not reflect this.  Maybe it will come in the next few days.

Navigate through the new screens I can't comment on, I haven't seen it since last July 2015. Should be helful for new users - hope that when people get a box that are new people that the link of how to do this, or a quick list is provided to them.

The last two look very promising, but I will wait until I get it to comment on pros and cons and how well it works, and pros and cons of using either method, but glad there is an option.  If others get it before me, please report back to this thread and let us know your experience, how well it meets the needs and suggestions if it has some blatant issues, or possible enhancements.

I am glad changes are coming, it does not make up for everything we have been through, the free movies back a few months ago on demand, I never watch any of them, not sure who picked these, or whether anyone watched them, I suspect they weren't expensive to license for one month for free, or to forgo 6.99 on each, but it certainly was a small but for me useless compensation for the inconvience and patience.  Boy we are asked for an incredible level of patience that I think has been well beyond the ability of a lot of people, me for sure - it impacted my mental health for a while, so I just shut it all out.

But all that aside, thanks for the updates, and further commenting. I look forward to the update and seeing updated descriptions of the changes, and possible response to the concerns we have already raised before even getting it, just off the reported changes and how to's.  We keep moving forward, and I thank the front line for their patience and yours too.  My has been stretched real thin.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks also @User14 for the links - see my comments above.

Bruce

I got mixed up between you and Margaret in that response.

Bruce