UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@User14 If someone wants to start up a discussion about ideas of moving to the Lounge to discuss the future of Internet and TV, and away from this thread.  I guess we get stuck here because we, like you have been here for so long - I agree, that all of our writing and communication has done little to help change this whole situation and the wall just got stronger with us throwing the bricks to build the wall stronger.

I agree, that it would be beneficial to move the ongoing discussion - and with Shomi, some stuff I have seen from relatvies in Toronto on Bell's moves in the market, the transitioning to full GB to the home in whatever form it is going to be in apartments and when it will come to homes - both companies talk that they are agressively expanding or bringing Gb to the full footprint, so who will be the winner of that race.

If someone wants to start something up in the Lounge, I am happy to move there - my only problem is I don't even know how to get to the lounge, or use it. So if we move over, I will definitely join in with what I know.  New things seem to be coming out every day - via quarterly reports, news announcements, industry reports, and things like Shomi going down.

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

@User14 If someone wants to start up a discussion about ideas of moving to the Lounge to discuss the future of Internet and TV, and away from this thread.  I guess we get stuck here because we, like you have been here for so long - I agree, that all of our writing and communication has done little to help change this whole situation and the wall just got stronger with us throwing the bricks to build the wall stronger.

I agree, that it would be beneficial to move the ongoing discussion - and with Shomi, some stuff I have seen from relatvies in Toronto on Bell's moves in the market, the transitioning to full GB to the home in whatever form it is going to be in apartments and when it will come to homes - both companies talk that they are agressively expanding or bringing Gb to the full footprint, so who will be the winner of that race.

If someone wants to start something up in the Lounge, I am happy to move there - my only problem is I don't even know how to get to the lounge, or use it. So if we move over, I will definitely join in with what I know.  New things seem to be coming out every day - via quarterly reports, news announcements, industry reports, and things like Shomi going down.

Bruce

@BS.  Key advisors and REs like yourself, GdKitty, Oldyellar and others have already posted to the lounge area.@BS.  Key advisors and REs like yourself, GdKitty, Oldyellar and others have already posted to the lounge area.

I believe you started this thread in The Lounge at the beginning of the 2016 year.

" Re: What new tech are you waiting for this year?  [ New ]

I only have a request or an interest for a couple of things - I so want to see the common platform that Microsoft has brought out, but currently is struggling because of poor uptake of the phone side of things - one device for all would be great."

Besides not getting anywhere pointing out the Navigatr flaws here, I also find that my posts get edited for various reasons and therefore what I say can be taken out of context especially when entire sentences or links are deleted.  The Lounge is supposed to be for off topic issues.

I did open one thread called "Big Telcos" in the Lounge to ask people for advice on where we can go to get better services or the same service for less cost.  As previously mentioned on this thread, we seem to be stuck in a hole with Rogers and there does not appear to be any intelligent plan to get us out. Rogers doesn't tell us anything as the Shomi announcement demonstrates. I know I would like to hear your views on the future as the business model in selling Phone, Movie and TV services on the internet seems to be changing. 

Here's the link to the The Lounge  area.  Cheers.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for the link - I will begin to think about using the lounge area - had completely forgotten about it - maybe it is time to actually close this thread, and a "new navigatr" thread can be opened whenever the next replacement, major upgrade comes. I think we have all worked this one to death, in particular the "black hole" effect that exists on may topics, not just this one. And that one is a topic of its own - communication to customer and high quality, honest and fair customer service and relations. Thanks for the suggestions, By the way, that topic wasn't mine, I just responded to it. I did post once on there, long time back. This brings an end to my discussions on Navigtr -unless I find something never reported or learn of something new along the way that noone has mentioned. Thanks for the input @User14
I've Been Around

I was on the phone today with Rogers arguing about a new deal as the one I had expired and I flat out asked where the big end of summer update was that was promised for all the people who were infested with Navigatr. She looked into it and actually told me that Rogers sent out a memo to all employees today that the new update will start rolling out on Oct. 3rd and is supposed to be comepleted by the end of November. She listed a bunch of things that were supposed to be fixed and a lot of them were things that people have complained about here. Including the tile problems.

I have no idea if what she told me was true but she mentioned a lot of fixes that I don't think were just brought up at the top of her head. She even gave the update number but I didn't pay much attention to any of it because I was too irked with the new deal she was trying to give me.

If the update for Oct. 3rd is true then perhaps someone from Rogers could come on here and let everyone know what exactly is being updated and exactly when. It really is the very, very least you could do after months of silence.

Thanks a bunch.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BeyondIrate Thanks for providing the information on what you heard. 3 days away, the cynic in me says, "I will believe it when I see it", but I agree, the information you were getting seems far too detailed to have just been off the top of anybodies' head.

But I can sympathize with you on the other issue raised here about trying to get a new and reasonable bundle. Given the changes that we can expect in the market between competitors, changing infrastructure, CRTC implementations, possible IPTV, a 4K PVR box, it will be a tough one to pick a reasonably priced bundle that is similiar to what you had, and if you can avoid any contract obligations, it would be wise.

Consider reporting your experiences on building a new package in the new packages thread that has been going on recently.

But back to Navigtr - If they can manage that by the end of of November, then they will be one year after the first major upgrade, and 17 months since we saw the original mess that went out to the two areas in the "gradual rollout" that died in its tracks because it was such a mess.

Hope they have it right this time.  Maybe good sign that they may have the 4K PVR nailed down, and maybe even preparation for the target of 2017 for IPTV implementation as well. Very long, frustration wait that has pushed everybody's patience way beyond what any sane human being should ever be expected to live with and that applies to the Rogers staff, up to the President's office that had the catch 22 position of trying to market a lemon, while users were screaming at the top of their longs for months - "what in the world have you done", and "are you ever going to tell us anything directly?"

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMargaret

I just read your post at http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

There are some important things I didn't see in this list.

1) When a program starts recording, it should immediately be moved from the scheduled to recorded list.  There is generally little need to visit the scheduled list, unless you want to modify sheduled recordings.  The way it is now, you have to go to the scheduled list to watch a show that's started but not finished recording.  Then, if the show is finished recording when you've finished watching, you then have to switch to the recorded list to delete it.

2) Due to many shows often running past the scheduled end time, I have my PVR configured to always add 5 minutes to the end.  However, if sequential shows are recorded on the same channel, that 5 minutes are not added to the first.  Instead, if the show runs over, a small piece of the 1st show is at the beginning of the 2nd, with a few seconds missing.  This should not be happening, when the PVR is capable of recording 8 shows at the same time.  Even if all the "tuners" were busy, it shouldn't be much of a problem to have the same source feeding both the first and 2nd recordings simultaneously.  In the same theme, it should also be possible to add a minute ahead of a show to allow for those that start early.  At the moment, the minimum is 5 minutes, which is a bit much.

3) I see no mention of the poor zooming of letterbox shows.  When watching a letterbox SD show, none of the available choices properly fill the screen, with the result part of the image is cut off.  This is a simple 4:3 ratio.  Why is it so difficult to implement?  It worked well on the 8300HD.

I'm Here A Lot

How about being able to record manually?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, the recoding manually process from a simple push of the record button has been very unpredictable.  Sometimes you have to go to the guide to make it happen.

No predictability at all.  We just try it, and if it doesn't work, we push the guide and do it there.

Pain, unpredictable, but like many other things, since we can get around it, we have to live with it until enough of us complain, or they decide to change it.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Further response to the post by Margaret - thanks for making it awkward by posting it where I haven't currently seen it yet - I know I will find it - thanks to @JKnott for the link.

Why akward - because I have to open two links at the same time, so I will cut and past the whole thing rather than a link, to make it easier for me.

Hello Community,

I'm back with some updates!

But first, thank you for your patience.  It has been a while since my last post.

- your welcome - therapeutically, I needed to work on patience, and you gave me the ability to do it, along with just walking away for 7 months - that is an honest thank you and a therapeutic goal with my therapist.

I'm thrilled to let you know that we will be delivering a Navigatr update to customers, with new and improved features based on YOUR feedback. Starting today and rolling out to communities over the coming weeks, Ontario customers will see an onscreen notification when the Navigatr update has been delivered to their set-top box. Customers will have the option to review the changes, or skip right to watching live TV.

"Haven't seen it yet, - has anyone seen it yet it is the 4th today - Is there a rollout schedule Margaret you have access to - there must be one somewhere. Or do we just be patient - if so, just say so and I will practice my skills again."

Like last time, I've cut/paste items from Gdkitty's list and inserted my comments below each item (in blue):

• Closed Captioning & Recordings – No proper way to enable.
    Currently there is no way to properly turn on CC on any recordings.  Under RTN, you would hit INFO then enable the CC as you would on live TV. 
    The INFO button currently brings up completely different things than on RTN, and there is NO CC options there.
    Current work around – Go into LIVE TV, then turn on CC there, then start the recording. (NOT A SOLUTION)  
    • This was fixed in an enhancement deployed over the summer.

"It is still true there is no way to access it from info, and the most recent posted solution, provided a while back by Park, from me, found by my wife is

Click guide, your viewing will go to picture box in top right corner still playing with sound, you then push go to Info, then click up two clicks (fastest way, but in many screens you can't scroll up), go into cc and be aware to read the read the prompt closely - it is not overly intuitive  - there is a post of this easier workaround , it was not fixed, just the workaround enhanced.  Can someone summarize what I am saying and include the link to the post that best describes this enhanced workaround.

Status, to access info, you have to use the workaround, it is not fixed, just a workaround, but I guess workarounds are considered as fixes to Rogers.

• Closed Captioning Accessibility
    Separate from the above mentioned issues with CC, it comes down to the accessibility of it.
    It is currently much more work to enable, compared to previous versions.
    Under the old version, just required you to press INFO, then two more clicks over to the CC button.
    Under Navigatr, it requires you to press info, then  to MORE, then to move all the way to enable CC.  At minimum 3x as many clicks (and that is by pressing UP, pressing down requires MORE presses)
    This needs to be MOVED to a more accessible location, best case on the INFO screen as before.

See comment above - not fixed, just an enhancement to an easier workaround, which users here found on our own and posted - Obviously, Rogers isn't taking the initiative to tell us when they do the upgrade, or fully understand their own enhancements, we find them then inform people, and the message that was given to Margaret is still slightly in error.  Please post the appropriate thread page as above.

• Closed Captioning & Garbled text on Recordings
    Using the above work around, in most cases are able to get CC to display on a recording.  
    Some channels on playback, the text will be garbled and/or missing.
    This does not happen on all playback done by the above method.  Some specific channels seem to show this more than others (CTC, , etc)

This was fixed for sure - thank you Rogers - this appeared to be a full fix - by the way it took an order from CRTC to get it fixed quickly, unlike the fix below.  Credit to the people who escalated to the CRTC advocating the rights of the people with disabilities under the AODA and charter of rights.

• Selection Location after action preformed
    When viewing your scheduled recordings, if you perform an edit like deleting a scheduled recording, instead of going back to your "place" in the list/tiles, you are taken back to the top of the list. This is annoying since you may wish to do more editing.

Actually I think it is fixed in some of the areas, but when dealing with ghost recordings at end of season, say you have 15 of them, like we did, and decided that we wanted to get rid of them all as the next seasons may differ, which they did, we would cancel all recordings, up to the top right it went, and then we use the down button of the +/- button on the right, to get back to the bottom, scroll right, until we finally get to the point where we are at the start of the first column, and then we only have to page down to get there, - too bad you can't page up.

So this issue is partially fixed, but not for time when you decide to remove all ghost recordings at the bottom.  Haven't tested all other ways - anyone else have other areas where it pops back up to top, say like, does the delete a show in recordings stay where it is, I believe so, what if you cancel recordings in future recordings section, not sure.

• Hide Unsubscribed Channels
    No longer a more perminant way to hide unsubscribed.  Under settings there are only options to hide specific channels.
    You are able to change the FILTER to just subscribed ones, but those filter changes do not stay.

Only holds until the next reboot, which does occur often with downloads, then you have to realize it is not set anymore - you will know in the guide if it says Subscribed at top right, will say Guide if all channels selected, Favourites if favourites, but that favourites problem is another issue - I don't know if it is fixed, stopped using it.

• LARGE request for a list view to return instead of tiles.  Or give the option for one or the other.
    Also request for a view for ALL scheduled recordings, more in one quick list view as per in RTN.
    Was easier to see date/channel, time, etc upfront.
    • With October's update, customers will have the choice to see recorded programs displayed in tiles (Poster Art) or list-view (text-only). WIth this, you'll also have the ability to delete multiple programs at once.

Be glad to see this - I will dump the tiles, and remove the above problem of jumping to the top, hope they have the lists intuitive in this new build.  I can see why this one would take quite a while - quite a bit of coding required probably.  Thanks to all who have quietly and not so quietly sometimes kept the pressure up on this one.

• For some, the font is still too small.
    • We have improved fonts and contrasts with this recent update.

Already some improvement, thank you, I was the first person to raise the font issue, back last July, when three people screamed in my household, and I made a fourth, so I started the original thread.

Will look forward to any more improvements in this area, there was still some challenges for me.  Will report on my experience once I get it.

In addition, you will notice an updated and refreshed look for Rogers on Demand and Get More TV.

Will try that when it comes - I was ok with RoD as it currently is, and I turned off get more TV long time ago, and never use the search because it is pointless - use anyplace tv to get full list of a show on all channels, rather than at the end of a long of on demand or shomi availability, then only one channel of the current show present in the search.

Since it isn't mentioned, guess it is not there.  Correct me if I am wrong.

I will wait to see when I am watching say 5 shows in a row on don demand tv whether it suggests the next show, as currently on shomi (yeh I know that is gone, so no need to fix that one), but the recommended shows on the right don't give me the next one in the series most times.

We are expecting to have the upgrade rolled out across Ontario by the end of October.  Please refer to our TV - How To's for more information on the new features.

I will go there.

Thanks for listening and persisting Margaret, and everyone else, the customer.

Bruce

Please continue to provide your feedback in the Navigatr thread.  We continue to circulate your feedback with the appropriate teams in the company.  I will circle back to this thread to provide any future updates.

~RogersMargaret

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Bruce by manual recorging I don't mean pressing the red button while watching the channel.  I mean having the ability (like it was before crapig8tr) to select the channel, time, length of recording etc).  We could have broken up the olympic 8 hour recordings ourselves.

Also I hate how you have no idea what channel has been recorded when there are multiple recordings in a tile.  You have to "watch" the program to find out.