UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

I thought I had read somewhere that rogers was cutting the cord with Espial (I assume because of the botched navigatr) and that Espial would not be involved with the roll-out of IPTV. I wonder if this has anything to do with navigatr fixes being delayed. From what I read, many of the fixes were promised for early to mid summer, and guess what - autumn has now arrived. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dugi wrote:

I thought I had read somewhere that rogers was cutting the cord with Espial (I assume because of the botched navigatr) and that Espial would not be involved with the roll-out of IPTV. I wonder if this has anything to do with navigatr fixes being delayed. From what I read, many of the fixes were promised for early to mid summer, and guess what - autumn has now arrived. 

There is lots of romours out there about Espial and their relationship with Rogers - nobody was even admitting who the top tier cable provider in North America was and on the first rollout - ANT was still listed as the company providing the navigation side of the box, but on the rollout in December/January, we finally see the Espial name showing up in the software listings.  In various articles, as best as I can recall, business reports on Espial indicated that there was disappointment that the top tier NA cable provider (still unmentioned) was not going to go with the implementation of RDK as the middleware between the guide and the PVR, but that they would still be involved in the rollout of the 4K box.

Back in MESSAGE 51 OF 308 of the thread Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR, member @Lurker referenced the following,

"

Here's the link, and I have a bit of a different read on it...

http://www.cantechletter.com/2015/10/espials-long-term-prospects-remain-excellent-despite-setback-sa...

If you read the analysis of the announcement, its that Rogers (maybe) isn't deploying their NEXT gen software.  They'll still be using their previous gen s/w and using Espials 4k middleware, if I read the analysis correctly."

So who really knows anymore who the players are - probably a 4k box owner can say whether the software found under troubleshooting still includes Espial, and or Technicolour/Cisco, or Cisco Vantage, but I digress.

It has been a long journey of mishaps as Rogers has tried to work with Espial, Cisco, then Cisco sells out to Technicolour for settop boxes, and yet we now sit on Cisco (Vantage) software build 6.1..., which is not part of the standard Cisco line earliest documented version with Cisco I could find was in the version 4 series - We started this ride back on the version 3, which was being deprecated by Cisco before they sold out, so my guess, only a guess is that this version 6 is unique to Rogers and they may be using Technicolour for the work, or doing it themselves. The industry is a shifting as Rogers tries to figure out just how to meet our customer needs.

And to top it off, their big competitor in the TV side of things with IPTV has announced in September http://www.digitaltvnews.net/?p=27904 that the company is going to provide their a new fully wireless hub/modem for their 4k television solution, as well as http://www.digitaltvnews.net/?p=27972 that purchasers of their Optic Fiber TV solution will no longer be required to sign up for for their Fiber Internet service to access their TV solutions.  Planned for Q1 of 2017.

Rogers recently announced to shareholders in recent quarterly reports that they are aiming for IPTV solution by the end of this year.

Maybe they need to stop worrying about keeping up with the competitor on this one and nail down its own solution with solid customer service and reliability.  Or do they move to plan C or plan D. Plan A reached a few of us in July last year, Plan B is what this thread is about, Plan C is whatever it is they plan to do to deal with the current outstanding issues, or maybe Plan D, a completely different direction, and now with the competitor plans, will we see a plan E, and let's not forget where 4K is taking this dog's breakfast.

Oh well, for now, I give up, just struggle with what I have and have been refreshing myself along with my wife on the workarounds from the pinned FAQ's that show us how to get around and use the box as is.

As I have said, I think I will just wait it out until my contract runs out next year and who knows what the offerings will be by then.

But one last question to Rogers (not the forum people), but Rogers itself - given the announcement of things to come mid summer - are they ever coming, or are you off in another direction - all I ask for is some upfront honesty to you paying customers.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks for the additional info Bruce. It all sounds very confusing and one has to wonder if rogers really knows what they are doing. Sad!
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dugi  I sometimes wonder if they know what they are doing, but they seem to have backed themselves into a corner and not moved fast enough or in well researched way in attempting to keep their existing boxes running on QAM, and preparing them to move to IPTV and/or 4K.  While they struggle to build a well working model, the competition just plugs along and certainly seems to moving rapidly ahead with investments and improvements in the technology, while aiming for a 50% increase in consumers of their TV product lines.

But Rogers seems to have lots of money and too many of us "loyal" customers - yes I am guilty too, who put up with it and hang on, and they get away with these obvious blunders.  And then the practice is to say nothing, and hope they can fix what they choose to fix on their own schedules (except for things like the power saving feature - which was there to catch up with everyone else because they were already there - total failure on that one, and the CC changes - again, pressure from CRTC related to accessability, and the adaptations to support visual accuity problems.  So if it isn't something that could lead to government intervention, it seems that we wait on a lot of it while they figure out what they are doing.

The mess that technology can create for its users when providers don't move fast enough with the changes and make solid choices on providers and programmers.

I think we have beat this one to death again, but unless we hear something from Rogers directly, which they remain silent on any rollout of changes, we remain in the dark, so I think I will back away from any more discussion unless I hear other things that come along.  I will monitor what people say, but this horse was dead a long time ago.

Bruce

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@BS wrote:

I think we have beat this one to death again, but unless we hear something from Rogers directly, which they remain silent on any rollout of changes, we remain in the dark, so I think I will back away from any more discussion unless I hear other things that come along.  I will monitor what people say, but this horse was dead a long time ago.

Bruce

I think this is spot on. I was a very vociferous and disgruntled poster here for a long time, even tried to get the consumer press involved etc but sooner or later we all started backing away because of the "banging your head against a wall" syndrome, not because of any semblance of renewed satisfaction.

My sole concern is that now that the volume of angry messages from very unsatisfied customers is meandering to a trickle of what it was, that Rogers wins in the war of attrition. They can now accurately say that there is not much discontent shown on the message boards and use that as their *excuse* for continuing to do nothing. 

But I suspect that most, like me, have either just given up, or have moved over to a competitor.

You win Rogers. But its a Pyrrhic victory in that, in "winning", you have lost what little good reputation you had left, and hopefully lost a lot of good quality customers thanks to your disrespect and your arrogance and your stonewalling of your own customer base. 

I'm Here A Lot

Or, perhaps take to social media.

I'm Here A Lot

I have been at this since it first went live myself. It's very frustrating! I feel like we are being pacified with this thread and then have no updates.
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Selgie wrote:

Or, perhaps take to social media.

Oh I have done that, believe me....  Smiley Sad  Rogers treats us with impunity even as we (truthfully and appropriately) besmirch its reputation

I'm a Senior Advisor

@DrMike wrote:

@BS wrote:

Bruce

I think this is spot on. I was a very vociferous and disgruntled poster here for a long time, even tried to get the consumer press involved etc but sooner or later we all started backing away because of the "banging your head against a wall" syndrome, not because of any semblance of renewed satisfaction.

My sole concern is that now that the volume of angry messages from very unsatisfied customers is meandering to a trickle of what it was, that Rogers wins in the war of attrition. They can now accurately say that there is not much discontent shown on the message boards and use that as their *excuse* for continuing to do nothing. 

But I suspect that most, like me, have either just given up, or have moved over to a competitor.

You win Rogers. But its a Pyrrhic victory in that, in "winning", you have lost what little good reputation you had left, and hopefully lost a lot of good quality customers thanks to your disrespect and your arrogance and your stonewalling of your own customer base. 

@DrMike That describes my own experience - I posted contantly, contacted president's office, social media, even went traditional media, but nothing really changed.  Thousands of comments on the multiple threads on this topic, and where are we now - we know little more about what is going on now than before, we hear about IPTV - that was announced a few years ago, but they can't get it to work seemlessly, 4K, no PVR, Gb Internet announcement to rollout to all the footprint to support 4K and PVR as we all buy these - how many people bought 4k last Christmas - not me, and if I did, it wouldn't have been from Rogers - they beat the competitor by a couple of weeks, but have been outpaced in every level, and pricing is very similiar and the usual playing around with contracts, installation charges, cancellation fees, bundling - anyting to get us into every service possible - call it forced loyality. While it appears that the technilogical model in place with the competitors is very solid, many more things coming down the pipe (call that the FTTH pipe), and Rogers is not even ready to support it yet - so I believe we don't hear anything, because I believe Rogers has dropped the baton and is stumpling to catch up - they will eventually, but as a very long term customer, I have to seriously start thinking about where do I go next - my contract holds me back for the  moment, but I am wiling to eat the cancellation fees if necessary to ensure I get a quality product - yes, I pefer the customer service from Rogers, but maybe it is time to give the other players a chance, since they seem to be winning on the IPTV, mix of OTT, plus traditional TV choices, wel designed setbox and wireless connections and so forth.

We will see, 

Bruce

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@BS wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@BS wrote:

Bruce

@DrMike That describes my own experience - I posted contantly, contacted president's office, social media, even went traditional media, but nothing really changed.  Thousands of comments on the multiple threads on this topic, and where are we now - we know little more about what is going on now than before, we hear about IPTV - that was announced a few years ago, but they can't get it to work seemlessly, 4K, no PVR, Gb Internet announcement to rollout to all the footprint to support 4K and PVR as we all buy these - how many people bought 4k last Christmas - not me, and if I did, it wouldn't have been from Rogers - they beat the competitor by a couple of weeks, but have been outpaced in every level, and pricing is very similiar and the usual playing around with contracts, installation charges, cancellation fees, bundling - anyting to get us into every service possible - call it forced loyality. While it appears that the technilogical model in place with the competitors is very solid, many more things coming down the pipe (call that the FTTH pipe), and Rogers is not even ready to support it yet - so I believe we don't hear anything, because I believe Rogers has dropped the baton and is stumpling to catch up - they will eventually, but as a very long term customer, I have to seriously start thinking about where do I go next - my contract holds me back for the  moment, but I am wiling to eat the cancellation fees if necessary to ensure I get a quality product - yes, I pefer the customer service from Rogers, but maybe it is time to give the other players a chance, since they seem to be winning on the IPTV, mix of OTT, plus traditional TV choices, wel designed setbox and wireless connections and so forth.

We will see, 

Bruce

I agree with nearly all the comments being made, but I am still not sure what the average consumer can do about the Rogers "services" malaise. I feel that we are "talking to a wall" with Rogers. Now that Shomi is going to be abandoned by Rogers and Shaw in November what does it mean to the growing number of people watching TV programs and movies online?  I thought this product was in response to Netflix and other web streaming services. What went wrong? Is another business model to deliver internet services on the horizon? I had suggested continuing this discussion in "the lounge" as there are a lot of people wondering how to transition away from Rogers. I guess we are continuing this in the Navigatr thread.