UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@mixman1836 wrote:

Wow...this community is being watched by Rogers.

I wrote a response to rgottinger yesterday and now see that it's nowhere to be found.

This is likely because I mentioned that Bell does in fact offer cost effective TV packages to competitors customers and because I mentioned that my $100/month credit idea that rgottinger found hilarious was actually not hilarious at all...

I said all of the above in my original post with more specifics, which is likely why Rogers deleted the post entirely.

Let's see if they let this post stand... 🙂

And my point was, that I didn't find that to be the case given what I heard from the CSR from that other company. The net cost would have not saved me money. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Although Bell's price is about the same as Rogers, you can deal with them. BUT!! The big difference is it works pretty good!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I am hoping the IPTV wont be a 100% hard cut.. that you have to get completely different boxes, etc.

The NB3, and the 4k boxes, are fully IPTV compatable.
(technically, i think the NB2 might have been as well.. but its WAY too underpowered).

You and me both. I have two 8300's and two DTA-50's.  If IPTV obsoletes these I'm not spending another cent new on Rogers hardware and cutting the cord.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

I am hoping the IPTV wont be a 100% hard cut.. that you have to get completely different boxes, etc.

(technically, i think the NB2 might have been as well.. but its WAY too underpowered).

You and me both. I have two 8300's and two DTA-50's.  If IPTV obsoletes these I'm not spending another cent new on Rogers hardware and cutting the cord.

For those complaining about Navigatr,  I do not have any evidence that anything anyone has complained about so far has been fixed with Navigatr. Today I heard geese flying south, so it must be the end of summer. I think it is finally time for me to uncheck the box "Email me when someone replies" as we don't seem to be getting anywhere with our suggestions or complaints here. 

Maybe we should all just go to the lounge where we can talk about this malaise created by Rogers and how or when to leave.  It was set up on 22 July 2014 and there is only one post so far. 

The Lounge

"Welcome to the Community Lounge!

The Lounge is a place to kick back, relax and chat with your fellow community users.  Wanna talk about the Blue Jays?  Cool!  How about music, movies, sports?  Check!  Essentially, the Lounge is a place for friendly and casual discussion that is considered off-topic in the rest of the community. "

We can chat about anything off-topic.  

I'm an Advisor

What a wonderful idea, sending us off to a section that has one post and not been used since 2014.

NOT !

Actually Rogers has fixed some of  problems with Navi though I suspect this forum was only one of the many inputs. 

As I see it there are 2 core problems.  

The fundamental design of Navi is flawed.  Tiles and a single list are just bad ideas. 

The other problem is the hardware. NB2s are grossly underpowered and NB3s get lost every so often and have to be rebooted to restore sanity.

I'm an Advisor

Dibs on the 8300s !  NO TILES  !!!

@OLDYELLR wrote:

--------. I have two 8300's and two DTA-50's.  If IPTV obsoletes these I'm not spending another cent new on Rogers hardware and cutting the cord.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

Start shopping for antennas.

While the NB2 and 3 series are hybrid QAM/IP boxes (both have integrated DOCSIS modems), the 8300 is a pure QAM box.

Unless there's gonna be some kind of box between the wall and the 8300, the 8300 isn't gonna work with IPTV.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, it certainly is interesting discussion over what can and can't run IPTV - only time will tell, since we wouldn't even know that they are developing and have tested and demonstrated the new IPTV box in house and people that have seen it have been impressed.  Only way we know about these things is by reading the quarterly financial reports notes, or by having a member with shares speak up at the AGM and ask questions.

None of this comes as a surprise, since the long term stated goal was to put out an IPTV box.

What those like ourselves who have posted to this thread the most are more than aware of is that Rogers has been aiming in that direction for quite a while - yet, we are now 9 years since the major competitor put out their pilot, and for the last number of years, they have completely rolled it out and continued to expand the territory and improve the product. And all the while, some are just moving to Internet services and changing lifestyle choices around tv viewing.

We also theorize that the experiment to keep the legacy boxes in place as they move to a full IPTV box, using Espial's RDK framework turned out to be the best case study of how not to do things.  Due to clearly poor implementation and testing, the framework got rolled out without RDK in place back last July and we heard through financial reports by Espial that it most likely will never roll out. Things have changed since, with the 4K box coming out, but no PVR (not surprising when they can't get the existing PVR's to run in a stable or predictable manner, with an interface that requires hours and hours and tons of videos and FAQ's to barely understand as there is no consistency or logic in the box)

This post is not intended to criticize, it is actually just a bit of venting, as we now are at the end of summer, with no indication of the promised changes that would make the use of our current boxes more rationalle.

I was wandering through Shomi today, and did a search and found two search tile listings of My Robot, with lists of the episodes in no logical order having to wander through both of them to find the first show of the first season. Just an example of just how useless the search tools on the box are - forgot that it would have likely been easier through the Anyplace App.  It still remains a bit insane that we have to work back and forth through differing interfaces between Shomi, On Demand (I chose the alternate listing methods to go back to old text lists rather than poster art that takes for ever to scroll from one episode to the next).  This is the type of listing of our recording shows that we have consitently said we want to have a choice of using, and we were even told it was coming, but not surprisingly to me, the proposed targets have not been met on most of that list from the spring.

And the other thing with it now being fall, is that we have lots of shows that my family wants to record and watch, and we are now up to 9 rows of tiles to work through, and some with series, and some individual recordings, as we deal with the reality that shows move around due to the presidential debates next week that has cancelled some shows and moved some around. And we are going through another steep learning curve to learn to reuse the functionality, although I will agree, it at least is just relearning now, not trying to find and communicate workarounds.

So I now go through the exercise of remembering how to work with this convoluted mess, with the impression, that although we were told changes were coming, I no longer have any confidence that it is coming any time in the new future, and that we may see a final revised product, working well just before the IPTV model comes into play.

But who knows, we the users of this forum are left to do our own research, ask questions now and then, and nothing against the resident experts and others who support us here, you know no more than we do and I understand that, and even the ones who represent Rogers directly generally have no information and occassionally vent. Fortunately, there are those pinned video tutorials and FAQ's availble. I don't remember the link where we learned about all the plans - it would be nice to have that pinned too, but I can find it if I wish.

We are told often that Rogers staff monitor the issues and do hear us and they are working with them, I even heard that from the presidents's office last week that they monitor all social media, but as I pointed out, you listen, but we rarely hear anything of any substance and pointed out that if high quality customer service is the goal, that this model leads to misconfusion, frustration for all, both the support and CSR staff, and even the president's staff, and most importantly the customer.

For now, I will go through the learning process - I am setting my series up as new shows, anytime, any channel, and I will clean up the duplicates later as I go along, or catch it through on demand, or online when they get missed. and working with the Anyplace app to help me along.

Over one year and I and others, still have no idea just where Rogers is taking us when it comes to Cable.  My contract has a little over a year left, and many changes are occurring as the CRTC imposed rules around bundles, and choice are implemented, so I will just enjoy my shows as best as I can, do my best to not get frustrated by it all, and just accept that this is what we are stuck with for now, so I will use all the workarounds, that we have all developed over time.

I have had 3 reboots since starting to use the PVR again on a frequent basis, so I will also return to rebooting my box on a regular basis, say once per week, just like the old PC DOS days.

But as I said, I just felt like having a vent that so little has changed since last spring when we were told that so many of our issues would be dealt with this summer - Well the days are getting shorter, the temperatures are dropping, and as said, the geese are getting ready to head south, and for now, I as with others, will continue to wonder just what will come to us next and try to enjoy our viewing as much as possible in spite of the poor designs and issues.  

Thanks for listening all - no responses really needed since we really have no additional information.

Life goes on, and it is just TV - time to complete my piloting of online viewing of TV and movies, and using a digital antenna to see just what I can achieve.  Spent a few days with my daughter in the US this summer - they have a small TV package with their unlimited Internet, which they actually only watch via the Internet along with their other three movie and TV viewing packages, and on demand from the Cable/Internet company, a digital antenna, and they even have those red boxes in the stores and other similiar services, which they rent a movie for 1.99, ordered online, pick it up on the way home from work, and return it the next day on the way back to work.  A total very impressive and cost effective model of pick and pay, and choice, along with ability to watch their desired shows anywhere they go in the U.S.

May we get there here sooner or later.

Have a good night, Bruce

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

BS: Thanks for the great post, Bruce. You may just be venting but many of us appreciate your encapsulating key issues.  It's been more than a year for some of the people here.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Call it constructive criticism - I believe that it should always be given and respectful recipients generally accept it, comment on it and provide point by point responses as to what they plan to do or not do.

That is all I ask for, a little respect - I do pay the bills after all. And I too am one of the more than a year "beta testers", of a product that has never been well aplha tested, nor focussed group reviewed by real life users - Rogers has never admitted this, but in my professional opinion and anlysis, as with others who do have the creditionals and skills to comment on what we see with valid concerns, I remain convince that his produce was rushed, poorly designed, poorly tested, and no direct feedback on what has happened or directions has ever really been give.

Thanks Bruce

Bruce