UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Sadly, like 99% of all corporations, they only respond when their revenues are threatened. If you want to get some action....call Bell and ask what it will cost to switch services.

Then call Rogers and say you're leaving them unless they make good on their promise to repair their misguided and inferior Navigator software "upgrade".

Ask to speak with the retention dept.

They're the ones they put you through to, when they're really scared you'll leave.

They have the power to offer the biggest discounts, deals and anything they can think of to keep you as a Rogers customer.

Ask when the flawed Navigator will be repaired and request $100/month discount for each month it takes before it finally gets done.

Or just simply switch to Bell.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@mixman1836 wrote:

Sadly, like 99% of all corporations, they only respond when their revenues are threatened. If you want to get some action....call Bell and ask what it will cost to switch services.

Then call Rogers and say you're leaving them unless they make good on their promise to repair their misguided and inferior Navigator software "upgrade".

They're the ones they put you through to, when they're really scared you'll leave.

They have the power to offer the biggest discounts, deals and anything they can think of to keep you as a Rogers customer.

Ask when the flawed Navigator will be repaired and request $100/month discount for each month it takes before it finally gets done.

In the real world most of what you suggest can be done although the 100/mth discount is hilarious. As for switching to Bell, already went through that exercise and the cost for what I need is actually higher and equipment must be purchased plus the cost of having a guy come here and bring the stuff was set in stone and not waived.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As summer draws to a close, Rogers should shortly be issuing the revised firmware to correct many of the issues outlined in this thread per the following post: (ha ha ha)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Once this update has rolled out, I have a suggestion to make the IPG better still.  Currently "Series-Timeslot" scheduled recordings miss recording if the programme starts 1 minute late (like Ray Donovan will do this evening and 5 minutes late, like Masters of Sex will do this evening).  I suggest that the IPG firmware be written so that the programme will record "around this time" say +/- five minutes of the "set time".  I believe that some providers have this option.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dot2 wrote:
 It takes up to 10 minutes to simply rewind when watching live TV.

If you use the Page+ and Page- keys on the remote, you will skip ahead (or back) 3 minutes for each press and should be much faster. On the 9865 you can hold down the key and skip 3 minutes for each second you hold the key down.  On the 8642, this may not be possible due to the slow response on that PVR. 

@Dot2 wrote:
Rogers should let us choose to go back to the old system.

FYI, RTN will not return as stated many times in this forum, for various reasons.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

57 wrote:

Dot2 wrote:
 It takes up to 10 minutes to simply rewind when watching live TV.

If you use the Page+ and Page- keys on the remote, you will skip ahead (or back) 3 minutes for each press and should be much faster. On the 9865 you can hold down the key and skip 3 minutes for each second you hold the key down.  On the 8642, this may not be possible due to the slow response on that PVR. 

The 3 min skip (page up page down) is not very good on a large recording if you want to press it multiple times and hope it skips fast.  In reality multiple presses using the 3 min skip function seems to completely overwhelm the pvr and almost freezes everything resulting in the box being lagged to the max.

In reality the 2 min skip is usefull while playing back a proigram to skip commercials using 1 click to ff rw 3 mins.  For going through a large recording to reach a spot well ahead or back the only reliable way to do it is maxing out on the normal ff/rw function and then staring at super fast images (headache inducing for sure) and hope you stop it in the right place.

At least if we could manual record we could split up large recording like the olympics or other sports etc, but we can't.

My biggest gripe with Navigatr is when you have several tiles of the same type og program recorded but not EXACTLY the same wording (ie olympics, football, many series) you CANNOT see what channel/date/time was recorded unless you start to watch the program and hope the channel is displayed on the screen in the show itself.  If the recordings are are in the same tile (something you have zero control over) then that vital information IS displayed.

Also stopping a recording and trying to delete it is different if the program is held within a tile with other recording of the same series or if it is in a stand alone tile.  If it is in a stand alone tile then when you press stop recording instead of having the delete option available as the next step you have to exit and go back to the tile where the recording is being held and then pess and find the delete option.  If it is in the series tile with other recordings then when you press stop recording then the delete option is available on the screen as it was before navig8tr regardless of what tile is it held in.  That is such a stupid implementation.  Why they switched is beyond me.  It wasn't perfect but at least we could manual record, find what we wanted to watch easily, delete after stopping recording, etc. etc. etc!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm a Senior Advisor

But, we have been told they are fixing some of these issues you mention, yet we wait, and wait, and wait.

I don't know about others, but I am not expecting to see some of these changes that was reported here earlier this year as provided by senior levels of Rogers management.

My understanding reading the annual and quarterly reports is that there is a new IPTV model coming in the new year and has been developed and tested in house, but I expect that if we don't want to give up our investment (if we agreed to buy our own box, to save rental costs), or just want to stay with what we have, that I don't expect to see any further changes - it doesn't appear from public documents that Espial has much of a role anymore, and Cisco with Technicolour, and in house staff seem to be jury rigging the current boxes, bit by bit, but there are probably inherent limitations due to the interface between the four companies.

I am having to again get used to scheduling and cleaning up and finding shows to watch and record as the new seasons come in.  I had forgotten some of the craziness in the required workarounds - my wife was the one who first found the CC workaround in our family, then reported to me to the forum through another member while I was banned on my request, and she floundered to figure it out today when we were playing back a show and wanted CC on because the voice was difficult to hear.  She was back and forth into settings, and all over the place, before I remembered it and reminded her how to do it.  Still an ugly workaround, but it works.

Ahh Navigatr - now 14 months in my household and although I have got used to it, it still drives me nuts.  But I will learn to live with it again, and unless someone in power says otherwise, I am not expecting any further promised changes.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Selgie, and keep in mind some of us have been at this in the previous thread (not the updated thread under the above name) since day one back in July of last year - I was one of the first to post about the issues, and very little of significance has been changed since that first implementation, which they quickly froze for almost 6 months, before pushing it on all. And no, this remains one incident in my 22 years of history with Rogers, that has been the worst. I expect that IPTV will be out next year sometime and we will be strongly encouraged to move from this mess and hope they finally have it right on a completely different model - only time will tell, but don't hold your breath for much response or change on this particular product. It was a big mistake from day one, and the loss of cable and internet and home phone continues each month, as a new TV service will require you to take their Internet. So we wait.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am hoping the IPTV wont be a 100% hard cut.. that you have to get completely different boxes, etc.

The NB3, and the 4k boxes, are fully IPTV compatable.
(technically, i think the NB2 might have been as well.. but its WAY too underpowered).

I'm Here A Lot

Wow...this community is being monitored by Rogers.

I wrote a response to rgottinger yesterday and now see that it's nowhere to be found.

This is likely because I mentioned that Bell does in fact offer cost effective TV packages to competitors customers and because I mentioned that my $100/month credit idea that rgottinger found hilarious was actually not hilarious at all...

I said all of the above in my original post with more specifics, which is likely why Rogers deleted the post entirely.

Let's see if they let this post stand... 🙂

I'm Here A Lot

The post that was deleted was in response to the exchange below:

e: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016 
@mixman1836 wrote:

Sadly, like 99% of all corporations, they only respond when their revenues are threatened. If you want to get some action....call Bell and ask what it will cost to switch services.

Then call Rogers and say you're leaving them unless they make good on their promise to repair their misguided and inferior Navigator software "upgrade".

In the real world most of what you suggest can be done although the 100/mth discount is hilarious. As for switching to Bell, already went through that exercise and the cost for what I need is actually higher and equipment must be purchased plus the cost of having a guy come here and bring the stuff was set in stone and not waived.