UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@Johnrc123 wrote:

Back when Rogers customers had a reasonable, properly functioning system, a program in the guide would be labeled as "New" if it wasn't a rerun/repeat. Seems not to be the case anymore. 

Has anyone figured this one out? If a show says "New" in the descriptor, does that just mean that you haven't watched this particular one yet... even if you have in fact watched another recording of the same episode... if you know what I mean? Smiley Frustrated

TIA for any help. 

New in the guide. which is a separate thing from Navigatr means New to the station showing the program which is what it meant before. For example I watched Father Brown episodes on WNED in Buffalo and they were labeled as New. Several months later,, BBC Canada showed the same series and they were labeled as New on that station. New never had anything to do with whether or not you personally have watched or seen the show before anywhere else on any other stattion. The guide is not personalized. New in recordings means that it is newly recorded and you have not yet watched it whether in whole or in part.  Hope that helps

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your time rgottinger. 

rgottinger wrote: New in recordings means that it is newly recorded and you have not yet watched it whether in whole or in part.

This is what I was more specifically referring to. (I could've done better explaining.) We used to be able to see which recorded programs were new episodes, and not reruns. These recorded programs were labeled as "New". 

In any event, it's redundant when you could use "Restart", or "Replay", or the progress bar to indicate which recorded programs you've already watched. Lord knows that'd also help sorting through the flood of duplicate tiles the system creates.

rgottinger wrote: New in the guide. which is a separate thing from Navigatr means...

Reading your note I now realize we also have the inconsistency of how "New" is used differently in different places. I've never cared much for inconsistency in a UI. 

Oh well. This must be just another one of those personal preference things. I'll just submit a 'Wish List' request which I'm sure will be tended to in very short order. Smiley LOL

Regards. 

@Johnrc123 wrote:

Thanks for your time rgottinger. 

rgottinger wrote: New in recordings means that it is newly recorded and you have not yet watched it whether in whole or in part.

This is what I was more specifically referring to. (I could've done better explaining.) We used to be able to see which recorded programs were new episodes, and not reruns. These recorded programs were labeled as "New". 

In any event, it's redundant when you could use "Restart", or "Replay", or the progress bar to indicate which recorded programs you've already watched. Lord knows that'd also help sorting through the flood of duplicate tiles the system creates.

rgottinger wrote: New in the guide. which is a separate thing from Navigatr means...

Reading your note I now realize we also have the inconsistency of how "New" is used differently in different places. I've never cared much for inconsistency in a UI. 

Oh well. This must be just another one of those personal preference things. I'll just submit a 'Wish List' request which I'm sure will be tended to in very short order. Smiley LOL

Regards. 

Sadly I have to agree about the UI  It functions most of the time but inconsistencies abound

I Plan to Stick Around

When you select Fav on the remote with the Explorer 1840 set top box, it will cycle through all the channels you have selected as Favourites.

Is there a way to do this with the NetBox 4642?

Thanks in advance.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@falcios:

Assuming that you have some channels set as favourites, simply press the guide button repeatedly. It will cycle between your favourites and all channels.  I prefer this to using the FAV button, which doesn't always work as advertized.

Edit:  I just realized that you wanted to "surf" your favourites.  I don't think this is possible with the Navigatr firmware, so no, you cannot surf your favourites.  If you use the guide showing only the favourites, you can see what's on those channels and then select one that is showing something of interest.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Johnrc123 wrote:

Back when Rogers customers had a reasonable, properly functioning system, a program in the guide would be labeled as "New" if it wasn't a rerun/repeat. Seems not to be the case anymore. 

Has anyone figured this one out? If a show says "New" in the descriptor, does that just mean that you haven't watched this particular one yet... even if you have in fact watched another recording of the same episode... if you know what I mean? Smiley Frustrated

TIA for any help. 

"New" is supposed to mean that the show or episode is being broadcast for the first time on that channel. The tag is attached by the service that provides the program schedule to Rogers. Occasionally I've seen the tag on a repeat by mistake an rarely come across a new show not tagged.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

Does anyone have unformation when all the updates that were previously referenced will roll out? They are mentioned here: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

The original article said "this summer" but I have yet to recieve any updates. The biggest flaw as I see it is the PVR functionailty. Tiles rather than a list view makes it very hard to get a snapshot of all recordings. Also, after deleting a recording, the screen jumps back to the top, making it very frustrating and time-consuming to delete multiple recordings.

I've Been Around

Recently I've found my Cisco HDPVR has spontaneously been changing my view from subscribed channels to all channels.  It should not do this.

Also recently, when I set up a series recording I get the red double-dot icon on the schedule entry, as expected, but if I scroll away from that page of the schedule, and then back again, the icon might be gone.  If I click on the program entry I get the option to set a series recording, so I set it again, but when I go to save it, I'm told the series is already set to record.  And sure enough the double-dot icon is there.  But if I scroll away or close the schedule page and then go back again, the icon is gone again.  What is going on?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JVH wrote:

Also recently, when I set up a series recording I get the red double-dot icon on the schedule entry, as expected, but if I scroll away from that page of the schedule, and then back again, the icon might be gone. 

Check out the following thread on IPG Inconsistencies. The issue you mention happens once in a while to certain programmes, along with lots of other issues discussed in that thread. Try to wait for a day to see if it self-corrects, as mentioned in posts 34 & 36 of that thread.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Also do a reboot of the PVR to see if it corrects your "subscribed/all"  issue. I believe others have reported this issue and it usually goes to "all" after a reboot.

<snip>
when I set up a series recording I get the red double-dot icon on the schedule entry, as expected, but if I scroll away from that page of the schedule, and then back again, the icon might be gone.  If I click on the program entry I get the option to set a series recording, so I set it again, but when I go to save it, I'm told the series is already set to record.  And sure enough the double-dot icon is there.  But if I scroll away or close the schedule page and then go back again, the icon is gone again.  What is going on?

Nothing unusual - just the results of a poor design with completley inadequate testing. I've been seeing this issue for some time now and it is very frustrating.