UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@Customer01 wrote:

Well, now that the Olympics are here, Navigatr is being shown up up for the abomination that it is.  All the the recordings have the same icon, and I am faced with about 5 rows of them, with no way of knowing which is which until opening it.  And I lose my way in the tiles every time I return to them.

I have no idea where the recorded recordings end, and the scheduled recordings begin, with individual recordings or series recordings.  They should all have been recorded as series, in order to have more info after the first click opening the tile, but this is a workaround, so does not excuse the problem with individual recordings.

And recording everything as a series still produces row upon row of tiles, since the pvr does not recognise a series if the name changes.....which it does since every timeslot, with different sports.

Yes, one can use the more readable lists in Rogers Anyplace Home Edition, but that app keeps freezing on me, so very unreliable, and in case, just a workaround, so not a permanent solution.

It is just horrible, and there is no sign of improvement in spite of earlier promises on this forum.

I have said I will cancel my service before, and simply have been too busy to deal with that, but that day will be here soon. I don't even care if the alternative costs more, since I hate paying this company that has totally left its cable customers in the lurch.

AS per the original post , this thread was to "ask a question and/or share your findings/learnings" about the updated Navigatr software.  I empathize with the post above. 

One of my "findings/learnings" is the lack of synchronization of the Navigatr Schedule with the actual broadcast timeslots by the originating TV broadcast stations.  At one point we could not trust the Navigatr app due to the US election coverage, so we had to record the program before the scheduled program and the program after the scheduled program.  (Has anyone else had to do this?)  We ended up with three recorded programs with different tile names and different descriptions being recorded. The actual program started half way through the second program and finished on the third program recorded.  Try explaining where to find the program to your spouse! First watch program X about 30 minutes in, then go to program Y, which has a different description than the picture on the tile. It is also before (on the right) of program X.  

I agree with @Customer01 , this Navigatr app is not very useful, especially when the timeslots of the programs you want to record are out of synch with the broadcasting stations timetable.  

Remember this statement:

• We appreciate the feedback and we are aware that customers have been asking for a text-based (list) view of recordings similar to how it was displayed prior to Navigatr. We’ll be reintroducing this, in addition to the ability to select multiple recordings for deletion in an update this summer.

How long do we have to wait for this update, as well as better synchronization with the broadcasting stations timetable? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@User14 wrote:
At one point we could not trust the Navigatr app due to the US election coverage, so we had to record the program before the scheduled program and the program after the scheduled program.  (Has anyone else had to do this?)  We ended up with three recorded programs with different tile names and different descriptions being recorded. The actual program started half way through the second program and finished on the third program recorded.  Try explaining where to find the program to your spouse! First watch program X about 30 minutes in, then go to program Y, which has a different description than the picture on the tile. It is also before (on the right) of program X.  

If you wish to "pad" a recording if you're not sure if it'll start or stop at the correct time, simply start the (proper) recording early (5, 15, 30, 60, or 180 minutes) and end it late (5, 15, 30, 60, 180 minutes).  In that way you'll have only one recording and can simply FF or "skip" using the "Page+" button to the start of the programme you wish to watch. If you hold the "Page+" button down, it'll skip 3 minutes for every second you hold it down, which will get you to the start of your programme pretty quickly.

There are certainly occasions when the IPG is incorrect, but it's pretty rare for me.  Whenever there are live programmes, like sports or elections, etc, you must learn to "pad" your recording based on your best guess. There is nothing that Rogers as a provider can do in this instance. Happens all the time to people wishing to record something after Sunday Football, etc.  Sometimes there may be an alternate airing of a programme via timeshift channels. In that case, record the timeshift channel which may not be affected by the live programme.

57 wrote:

If you wish to "pad" a recording if you're not sure if it'll start or stop at the correct time, simply start the (proper) recording early (5, 15, 30, 60, or 180 minutes) and end it late (5, 15, 30, 60, 180 minutes).  In that way you'll have only one recording and can simply FF or "skip" using the "Page+" button to the start of the programme you wish to watch. If you hold the "Page+" button down, it'll skip 3 minutes for every second you hold it down, which will get you to the start of your programme pretty quickly.

This sounds like a much better approach. Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on.  

I'm an Advisor

Then again one can try ones luck using ch 100, On demand.

It's kinda flakey, but might work 4u as a backup.

Highlighted

@park wrote:

I agreed with your third approach! Here is a fourth approach for those who may miss recording a program.  You can look for it on the broadcasting station's web site. Here's a program we missed but I found it on the web.  Warning: It eats up your data! Smiley Sad  But it is a good documentary.

Painted Land: See Canada through the Group of Seven's eyes

I Plan to Stick Around

I think all Rogers employees must subscribe to Bell or Shaw because they sure don't know anything about NetBox and how user unfriendly it is. They are obviously ignoring customers and like you I am going elsewhere soon. I will be like our milleniums and get a great IPS from one or two providers and use Kobi.

I'm an Advisor

@User14 wrote:

@park wrote:

I agreed with your third approach! Here is a fourth approach for those who may miss recording a program.  You can look for it on the broadcasting station's web site. Here's a program we missed but I found it on the web.  Warning: It eats up your data! Smiley Sad  But it is a good documentary.

Painted Land: See Canada through the Group of Seven's eyes

Thx.

That's one of the regulars on TVO.  

They seem to replay it every couple months. 

I'm Here A Lot

Just received a new version of Navigatr this morning at around 8:30am which is a weird time for a pushed software download.  New version is 6.1.0.0121.

So far none of the oustanding issues have been addressed.  I have no idea what the changes are and can't see any.

I'm an Advisor

@baaddawg wrote:

Just received a new version of Navigatr this morning at around 8:30am which is a weird time for a pushed software download.  New version is 6.1.0.0121.

So far none of the oustanding issues have been addressed.  I have no idea what the changes are and can't see any.

Great I can look forward to Rogers interrupting my morning dose of theTrumpOlympics soon.  Still on 6.0.3.0106 in Mississauga.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Hi @park  I am on the same version you are on - the June one.  Have been following this thread now and then as a guest, have seen that a few of the fixes described in the to come post by Margaret back a few months ago after the annual general meeting.  Do we know what has been taken care of and what is outstanding, or what any of the fixes that came did?

My wife and I have kind of developed a muscle memory for the many clicks and idosyncracies of the box, but we manage, but still grumble now and then. Coming on 13 months now since this all started.

The one odd one for us that we can't figure out is that sometimes you can push the red record button and it starts recording, other times, we have to go to the guide to do it.

Also notice that the play list in on demand by using the B button will build the playlist, but once you are out of on demand, it is not saved - would be nice, but at moment, useless.

Haven't been recording series much over the summer, so not sure how that side of things are working these days, but our single recordings are working ok. I do know that we have missed a few recordings have been missed on nightly type shows, but that was during the primaries and all those time fluxuations, so I expected it.

Had a wonderful Bell guy at our door yesterday - sat, had water together and talked pros and cons. Thinking seriously - they would consider covering our cancellation fee to get us.  The biggest one we liked was the go back 30 hours - would solve that problem of missed shows, plus the free extra box (wifi connected) at no cost was an interesting idea as we have one tv on the digital to analogue converter. Would consider getting a new TV if we didn't have the cost of the second box.

I am very glad that the original post I put out way back in July last year about the font and contrast colours has been changed to a level where I can now see.

Otherwise, I am happy to say that we have been having no problems with our services for a number of months, which is always nice.

Take care everybody, Bruce