UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Shhhh! As Elmer Fudd used to say when hunting Wabbits, "Be ve-we ve-we quiet." We switched our PVR again the other day and, by some stupendous miracle, we now have a functioning Guide and access to On Demand, and no more delayed reaction with the remote. Search still can't seem to find anything and I keep seeing the box dnLd 2 or 3 times during the day, but beggars can't be choosers in this glorious age of technological marvels, eh. Don't want to alert the techs lest they try to fix something.

I'll quietly close the door behind me now.

I Plan to Stick Around

Our guide isn't fixed, other then the stupid work around. I just want the guide to come up like before. It really shows what level these so software programmers are at. Been way to long with this problem. We have 3 recievers, 2-4642 and 1 8642 pvr and they all do the same thing. Been very patient with rogers but this is a joke.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From the sounds of it, there is a change to display, which may show more similar to the previous way..

But thats not coming till part way through the summer?

So going to be a bit of a wait..

since the new guide was never made that way, its probably a from scratch thing?  And that all the programming is done from a 3rd party.. probably adds some extra time in

Though, this all should have been figured out before the INITIAL release Smiley Sad

I Plan to Stick Around

They need to give the programes a NetBox to use fro amonth before they have them write any programs then they may have some "IDEA" what customers use and needs are.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@jball1 wrote:
They need to give the programes a NetBox to use fro amonth before they have them write any programs then they may have some "IDEA" what customers use and needs are.

I assume your point is programmers should have to use a NextBox for a month to get an idea of what users want. Users should be consulted by people who are experts in designing user interfaces and defining requirements. Programmers should then write code to meet those requirements. Rarely are those jobs done by the same people. What we seem to have is the result of a design done in isolation without user input

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, you assume correct. The code should be written with user input to the result. Not in isolation.

@jball1 wrote:

Yes, you assume correct. The code should be written with user input to the result. Not in isolation.

And sadly, that is what seems to have happened. Usuability design and programming are two different skills and rarely found in the same person

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes indeed they seem to have forgotten that the 59 year old user could tell the 24 year old programmer a few things about what we don't want.

In particular, with the new graphic ui with "boxes" I am unable to tell at times which programme exactly has been recorded. The reason for this is the new "box" cuts off the information.

But I guess that works for the hipster programmers. Have they ever considered that functionality includes having different options to choose. Is that so hard, or am I missing something.

Marc

@marccram4444 wrote:

Yes indeed they seem to have forgotten that the 59 year old user could tell the 24 year old programmer a few things about what we don't want.

In particular, with the new graphic ui with "boxes" I am unable to tell at times which programme exactly has been recorded. The reason for this is the new "box" cuts off the information.

But I guess that works for the hipster programmers. Have they ever considered that functionality includes having different options to choose. Is that so hard, or am I missing something.

Marc

I find the absence of the record time annyoing as well and no you aren't missing anything. What I have noticed over the last decade is that the new generation of programmers by and large does what is easiest and assumes that nothing will ever go wrong. Code isn't tested thoroughly and many assumptions are made including that their way of interacting with a user inteface is the right way. When the design is flawed as this one is the problems are compunded

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply rgottinger.

So apart from "talking amongst ourselves" here, will the Rogers Monolith notice unrest and make adjustments, or even admit the problems.

And additionally, my guide is slooooooow so, gotta love them ads. Just gonna record honey. 2 secs.

Marc