UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@Cap07 wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

@Cap07 wrote:

I'm

@kso wrote:

I guess my NB3 has been suffering this memory leak or the latest update caused it. Some odd things have been happening for the last couple weeks.

Sometimes when I click on a pvr tile, I get nothing. It's just a blank bluey gray screen. I exit out and wait a few minutes and suddently the recording info is there. 

Navigating the guide has been sluggish, sometimes fast, sometimes I press something and nothing happens for minutes. 

I'm getting the same things. Random "dnld" three times today alone. Guide not responding as fast as normally. PVR wouldn't shut off this morning when I powered off with remote. Minutes later it shut down by itself. Then when I turned back on the guide was still there onscreen. I've rebooted the NB3 twice since early this morning. I'm guessing the problem is not on my end.

The problem probably is at your end with the software that was downloaded. How to fix that at your end is an entirely different problem

Actually, I meant that the problem was not my fault. Something I had done or not done. It is a hardware/software issue both provided by Rogers.

Sounds like it is a software issue which is what most of us have been experiencing. It is pretty hard for us users to cause problems like you described just by using the box. Usuability and design flaws of which there are many is a different subject unfortunately. Occasionally the box is the problem as like most electronics these days, they are not intended to last beyond the warranty

Highlighted

@DrMike wrote:

@Cap07 wrote:

Actually, I meant that the problem was not my fault. Something I had done or not done. It is a hardware/software issue both provided by Rogers.

Well that's the crux of all of this thread isn't it?  We are all having way too many problems with an ill-considered and poorly developed piece of software, and we are all dissatisfied. Yet it is NOT our fault. Rogers has foisted this piece of junk on us and we have no choice other than "live with it" or exit Rogers and go to a competitor.

Not our fault indeed, but it *IS* our problem 😞  

NOT OUR FAULT and yet we are all paying for it any way.....

Although you do have the choice to leave and go to a competitor. Mind you I looked into that and was not impressed with the options from that other big company all the way down to the $50 installation charge

Highlighted

@Gdkitty wrote:

I have been a rogers customer for.. well way too long 😛
I was in the original BETA for rogers highspeed internet (when it was a whopping 128/256kbps modem!)
So over the years, i have had my share of rental box swaps.
GENERALLY my experience has been good.   I have never got an overly damaged box. (maybe a tiny scratch or two somewhere.. but as long as its not on the front, i dont really care).   No smoke smell, etc or other issues.  Most swaps i have done over the years, were due to bad HDDs in the older PVR units.

Really, Bell, etc all does the exact same too.. your never guaranteed a brand spanking new box.  So you could see it anywhere.

The NB3 in of itself.. (speed, tuners, etc) is a great box.
But overall.. its the GUIDE itself which is the issue for most.

Pop into a rogers store, and ask if you can play with their box there.  Give it a test run.
And make your decision from there.

(That you say your on 5/1 on bell brings up a big point.   Many people complain and say "everyone should leave rogers for bell over this, etc.... well, yea.. thats great an all, IF you live somewhere in which FIBE is available.  I dont.   So going from 100/10 to 5/1 internet? HECK no.  And not a huge fan of satalite (Plus my wife does not want the dish right on the front of the house, which it would have to be))

We can get Fibe here and i was called a while back and by the time the pricing excercise was done. my bill would have been $22/month more plus hardware costs plus a $49.99 installation charge for a 2 year contract. Then there was the cost of the telephone which also would have been higher. Needless to say I said no thanks

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Yes, I already said we could "exit Rogers and go to a competitor".

But many of us have too much to lose and not enough to gain when you take the entire package into account.
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

Tried reboot through Troubleshooting. Box was stuck showing code 05 for ten minutes. Then dnLd. No improvement. Tried factory reset. Looks like its stuck on code 05 again.

Next time I should probably not open a ticket. Ever since they said they were checking it remotely the PVR has been messed up.

Next step take box to store for new one. Lost all recordings. I love technology. Technology is our friend. Those who provide technology are improving our lives every day......Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Cap07 wrote:

Tried reboot through Troubleshooting. Box was stuck showing code 05 for ten minutes. Then dnLd. No improvement. Tried factory reset. Looks like its stuck on code 05 again.

Next time I should probably not open a ticket. Ever since they said they were checking it remotely the PVR has been messed up.

Next step take box to store for new one. Lost all recordings. I love technology. Technology is our friend. Those who provide technology are improving our lives every day......Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

This morning 5 June 2016, I had two "dnLd's"!   I watched TV around 7am for the news, then shut it down. Turned it on a little while later and the first "dnLd" occurred. Great, so I let it run (TV on) and eventually the TV program came on.  Too late to watch what I wanted to watch so I turned it off.  Then when I returned to turn it on again, the second "dnLd" appeared.  This time I just turned it off and left it!   Around noon, I turned it on and it is now working. 

I didn't open a ticket on this, but I wish we could get an explanation from Rogers, or some kind of schedule when the downloads are going to occur.  You can't even watch a recorded program when the "dnLd" is happening.  

@Cap07 wrote:

<snip>

While I understand your frustration, you are doing the rest of the technology industry a great diservice by such a blanket statement. Perhaps more importantly you are letting Rogers off the hook by implying they are just one more bad apple - they are not. 

I've worked in the tech industry for over 40 years. In all that time I have NEVER encountered a company with such a total disregard for their customers as Rogers have exhibited (and continue to exhibit) during this ongoing fiasco. To release a product that is clearly still barely in the beta stage on an unsuspecting public is ridiculous. To have such a cavalier attitude to the "testing" of traded in boxes is as bad. we should never let ourselves think that this is the norm for modern tech. It is not and with any luck never will be. It is simply the mark of an abysmally bad company that has no regard for its customers.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@JonBoy49 wrote:

@Cap07 wrote:

<snip>

While I understand your frustration, you are doing the rest of the technology industry a great diservice by such a blanket statement. Perhaps more importantly you are letting Rogers off the hook by implying they are just one more bad apple - they are not. 
<snip>

I sense that @Cap07 was being sarcastic, not funny.  I wish this board had a sarcasm emoticon available.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I'm an Enthusiast

I tried the factory reset option with my PVR and all that happened was the machine kept rebooting for almost two hours before I unplugged it for the last time. It's going back when the store opens and I can get there. I'm hoping the next one is better. Funny, it was working fine until I raised the question of On Demand access and got a ticket opened. Woke up late one morning and noticed the PVR was dnLding which I had never seen before (unless I had rebooted the thing myself). Right after the Navi-guide started acting up. Then everything began running in slow motion. Press a button and 30 seconds later the channel would change or the box would shut off.

This is not the service I pay for every month.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@JonBoy49 wrote:

I've worked in the tech industry for over 40 years. In all that time I have NEVER encountered a company with such a total disregard for their customers as Rogers have exhibited (and continue to exhibit) during this ongoing fiasco. To release a product that is clearly still barely in the beta stage on an unsuspecting public is ridiculous. To have such a cavalier attitude to the "testing" of traded in boxes is as bad. we should never let ourselves think that this is the norm for modern tech. It is not and with any luck never will be. It is simply the mark of an abysmally bad company that has no regard for its customers.

Hear, Hear.  I am going to "like" this before the moderators somehow remove it by saying it is off-topic or violates some rule.  We have all been saying this but you said it as well if not better than most 🙂 Thank you.