UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Yeah, unfortunatley there seems to be a wide range of refurb units.. from good to bad condition.

But all in all.. look at MOST products and their waranties.

Unless you got it from a retail location in which they will often exchange for the full waranty period ..
Any time you deal with the manufacturer directly for the waranty.. they will either 
A) Repair that one itself (often for biger ticket items, PCs, tvs, etc)

B) They replace the item.  90+% of the time though, its not a NEW product.. its a refurbished unit.
Even a higher end unit like an iphone, etc.. my wifes wireless died like 1 week before waranty up.. and it was swaped for a refurb unit by apple.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Yeah, unfortunatley there seems to be a wide range of refurb units.. from good to bad condition.

Unless you got it from a retail location in which they will often exchange for the full waranty period ..
Any time you deal with the manufacturer directly for the waranty.. they will either 

B) They replace the item.  90+% of the time though, its not a NEW product.. its a refurbished unit.
Even a higher end unit like an iphone, etc.. my wifes wireless died like 1 week before waranty up.. and it was swaped for a refurb unit by apple.

@Gdkitty wrote:

Even a higher end unit like an iphone, etc.. my wifes wireless died like 1 week before waranty up.. and it was swaped for a refurb unitThat  by apple.

That has been my expericence as well. Also, nothing is built to last more than a few years and repairing things costs almost as much as buying a brand new replacement. I've had luck with my last two boxes but i still rent them because buying them , while mathematically cheaper, doesn't seem to leave us better off

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

These are the reasons why I will NEVER buy a box from Rogers. I will only rent them. It doesn't mean that I won't get stinkers if I need to replace the box (I have, as posted) but at least I will never run out of my warranty. Right now I am on a rent-to-own plan that is actully cheaper then the rental, and if after I "own" it, and goes bad, I can just go back and rent another one and start all over again. 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Cush wrote:
The best thing Rogers has going for it is that the competition is Bell.  

I LOVE that line. I may have to borrow it!  :/

I Plan to Stick Around

@DrMike wrote:

@Cush wrote:
The best thing Rogers has going for it is that the competition is Bell.  

I LOVE that line. I may have to borrow it!  :/

So true!

I've Been Around

I have been a long time Bell customer, have the entire Bell bundle (Internet, TV, and home phone).  Rogers has my cell phone service.  The only complaint I have about Bell would be the price of the bundle and the fact that Internet in my area is only DSL, so I only get 5M down and 1M up.

The Rogers 100M service is very compelling and when the Rogers sales person came around to my area I thought I would look into switching everything over as I just could not take waiting for Bell Fibe to arrive.

Before switching over I figured I would just make sure the Rogers TV experience is as good as what I currently have with Bell.  After reading this forum about refurb boxes not working, or getting used smoke smelling PVR, reseting PVR on a regular basis, incorrect PVR recordings, poor UI design...  I think I will stick with my Bell TV as I have none of those issues.  My only complaint about the Bell TV is that I can only record 2 shows at once.  I don't reboot, or fight with the PVR on a regular basis.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.  You have helped me make my decision.  I will most likely just switch my Internet service to Rogers but keep my TV with Bell.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@SickParrot wrote:

I have been a long time Bell customer, have the entire Bell bundle (Internet, TV, and home phone).  Rogers has my cell phone service.  The only complaint I have about Bell would be the price of the bundle and the fact that Internet in my area is only DSL, so I only get 5M down and 1M up.

The Rogers 100M service is very compelling and when the Rogers sales person came around to my area I thought I would look into switching everything over as I just could not take waiting for Bell Fibe to arrive.

Before switching over I figured I would just make sure the Rogers TV experience is as good as what I currently have with Bell.  After reading this forum about refurb boxes not working, or getting used smoke smelling PVR, reseting PVR on a regular basis, incorrect PVR recordings, poor UI design...  I think I will stick with my Bell TV as I have none of those issues.  My only complaint about the Bell TV is that I can only record 2 shows at once.  I don't reboot, or fight with the PVR on a regular basis.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.  You have helped me make my decision.  I will most likely just switch my Internet service to Rogers but keep my TV with Bell.

Makes sense to do what works for you. I haven't had issues with either of my boxes like some here have. When i got a call from Bell I went through the process of pricing out the replacing of my current setup and I found that it was actually more money per month for tv plus a 49.95 setup fee. The cost of the phone was another reason i got Rogers Home Phine in the first place so for me switching got me absolutely nothing

I Plan to Stick Around

Look into Teksavvy for your internet!! (-:
I Plan to Stick Around

@SickParrot wrote:

Good decision.  Not a good time for the cable TV service. Being able to record 8 shows  is a huge plus, but the technical issues and terrible interface are unacceptable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have been a rogers customer for.. well way too long Smiley Tongue
I was in the original BETA for rogers highspeed internet (when it was a whopping 128/256kbps modem!)
So over the years, i have had my share of rental box swaps.
GENERALLY my experience has been good.   I have never got an overly damaged box. (maybe a tiny scratch or two somewhere.. but as long as its not on the front, i dont really care).   No smoke smell, etc or other issues.  Most swaps i have done over the years, were due to bad HDDs in the older PVR units.

Really, Bell, etc all does the exact same too.. your never guaranteed a brand spanking new box.  So you could see it anywhere.

The NB3 in of itself.. (speed, tuners, etc) is a great box.
But overall.. its the GUIDE itself which is the issue for most.

Pop into a rogers store, and ask if you can play with their box there.  Give it a test run.
And make your decision from there.

(That you say your on 5/1 on bell brings up a big point.   Many people complain and say "everyone should leave rogers for bell over this, etc.... well, yea.. thats great an all, IF you live somewhere in which FIBE is available.  I dont.   So going from 100/10 to 5/1 internet? HECK no.  And not a huge fan of satalite (Plus my wife does not want the dish right on the front of the house, which it would have to be))