UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@DrMike wrote:

@User14 wrote:

I don't think people post these kind of glitches but  I thought I would let the community know what is happening in our "Rogers World".

We should not start accepting these issues as normal.   

Indeed, there seems nothing "normal" about any of it. But like so many, I have gone mostly silent. I still read each and every one of these posts and shake my head and bang my fist, but at some point one just has a natural tendency to say "what's the point" of reporting glitch after glitch after glitch. So I stopped posting....

But in the spirit of we should not start accepting these issues as normal let me tell you about some of the gremlins at work in my house on our NB3. Not sure if I can even do this accurately but I'll try.

@wow! I do learn a lot from everyone's posts, so thank you @DrMike.  

If  we were complaining about a car company and there were this many faults with the same model of the car that we all bought who would we complain to if the car company did not acknowledge the faults and the inconvenience?  Should we all be complaining to the CRTC about a faulty product? Should we ask for a recall?

I do not want to go silent, or stop posting the problems I encounter to the community. And I especially do not want to accept the issues described by yourself,  @molly222 or @yyz64 or even the glitches I have described as simply the normal industry standard of performance.  There has to be some way of escalating these faults and glitches to get an acknowlegement, or a resolution or even a credit to our account for the inconvenience. 

I know people who have given up and gone elsewhere, but what would be the best approach to take in these circumstances as consumers?  What are our options? 

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Are these New "Glitches"?

Pursuant to my (rather long) post/rant last night perhaps I can be a bit more succinct and ask 3 specific questions from my community colleagues:

1. Has anyone else experienced the phenomenon of the wrong program being recorded despite the fact that the tile says it is a different program? I have several series set up to record daily, ALL episodes (not just new ones) in that timeslot but once in a while when I open the tile for program "X" and start watching a recorded show, it turns out that it has recorded program "Y" instead. But still says it is "X".

2. Has anyone opened up a tile for a series being recorded to find at the top of the "scheduled" list a show that is scheduled IN THE PAST. As in, "X" is scheduled to record at say 1 pm,  and it SAYS "scheduled to record at 1 pm" but in fact it is now hours PAST the time, the show is long over, and the recording icon is still on, and it is perpetually in a state of 'scheduled' as opposed to 'recorded'. My guess is that it will stay "scheduled" in the past forever without intervention (usually rebooting) but haven't had the patience to see how long this freeze will last.

3. Has anyone else experienced a (seemingly) random failure to record a show in a scheduled series. As in, I have set up to record daily, all episodes, this timeslot, and all the scheduled future recordings are there (up to a week in advance) but once in a while one of the shows just does not get recorded. It's as if it just forgot, despite the settings. I thought maybe the problem was an interruption by download (yet again in the middle of the day!) but in that case recordings usually resume once the DL is finished don't they? This is the total absence of the program - as if it just forgot to record it on that day. 

Any insights or shared experience?

Highlighted

@User14 wrote:

Another problem to add to the long list of Navigatr faults.

We taped two "Person of Interest" prgrams back to back. The first tile had a picture on the tile that said "Motive" which was not the right program to display. When you scroll over it  however, with the blue square outline, then the text says "Person of Interest" and behind the text you can still faintly see the "Motive" picture. If you select the program the description for the Person of Interest program appears. When you exit and scroll over to the second tile for the "Person of Interest" you see the right text with the "Person of Interest" and also the right tile picture displayed for that program.  Selecting it also give you the right description of the program.  

Just another glitch to let this suffering community know that what you tape may not be displayed by the picture you see on the tile. We certainly hope that when we actually watch the two programs, they are the right ones.

No point calling tech support on this, unless they have it on their white board. Perhaps someone from this community can speculate on why this glitch occurs and hopefully get a credit on your bill.

On an NB3 box. 

I just wanted to let the community know that this glitch is systemic.  It happened again!  We taped two separate "Person of Interest" programs on 24 May 2016. As we all know the channel and time of recordings are not displayed for a single recording,  but I believe the programs were at 9 and 10pm on CTV channel 518 in our area.  The two programs recorded, but another "Person of Interest" was also recorded at 10 pm with the picture of the program "Motive" from BRAVO in the tile. The picture was wrong, but it was the "Person of Interest" program in the description which was recorded. It was also a series recording for 10 pm on CTV as well (HCTVO).  There is another scheduled program for next week 31 May 2016 at 10 pm so I will see if it happens again. 

All this to remind folks you really need to manage what you are recording because you can actually create unintended problems when you try to ensure your program is recorded. We had a series recording and a separate recording of the same program and Navigatr appears to give you this apparent glitch. Hopefully, it will be added to the many Navigatr faults to be resolved in the distance future.  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If  we were complaining about a car company and there were this many faults with the same model of the car that we all bought who would we complain to if the car company did not acknowledge the faults and the inconvenience?  Should we all be complaining to the CRTC about a faulty product? Should we ask for a recall?

I do not want to go silent, or stop posting the problems I encounter to the community. And I especially do not want to accept the issues described by yourself,  @molly222 or @yyz64 or even the glitches I have described as simply the normal industry standard of performance.  There has to be some way of escalating these faults and glitches to get an acknowlegement, or a resolution or even a credit to our account for the inconvenience. 

I know people who have given up and gone elsewhere, but what would be the best approach to take in these circumstances as consumers?  What are our options? 

For sure, it is a faulty product, and should have been recalled.  Yes, we should all be registering our complaints with the CRTC.

Also, since the customer service and technical departments have been unable to sort out the problems, contact the Office of the President at Rogers.  Try to be specific.  Take photos of your TV screen if that will illustrate the issue.  If not satisfied, then escalate to the Rogers Ombudsman.  Keep records of all your interactions.

I would not pay for a product that keeps crashing on me.  So far I have been lucky in that regard, but with the problems described above, I would be demanding a credit, and that it be fixed.  Failing that, I would go elsewhere.

Also, I am getting educated about alternatives to cable TV.

These are the options.

Highlighted

@Customer01 wrote:

For sure, it is a faulty product, and should have been recalled.  Yes, we should all be registering our complaints with the CRTC.

You can ask the CRTC a Question or Make a Complaint, but for TV - Equipment their site says:

"For concerns related to PVRs, digital boxes and remote controls, please contact your service provider directly."

It looks like the CRTC is not concerned about faulty equipment or products being sold to consumers.

This route doesn't look promising.

I haven't changed a PVR yet, because a reboot seems to be able to fix most faults that occur. I did have to do a factory reset at one point and we had to loose all our recordings.  I have also had run away recording that filled 72% of my storage.   These issues seem to be happening to all of us but as individuals we are not taken seriously.  

Maybe we need to approach this PVR problem differently and be more collaborative.  

@Should we request a REGULAR monthly update from the OOP to all of @Gdkitty's list of issues and keep adding more to the list of issues as they are encountered? We need to establish some kind of two way communication with Rogers just to find out what is going on with these PVRs. 

ie. What PVR problems have been resolved. What PVR problems are client induced. What problems are an acknowledged fault. And ALSO when will the next  update be provided. etc.

Surely a regular update on a single list of PVR problems would assist a lot of people in this community. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

User14 wrote:

You can ask the CRTC a Question or Make a Complaint, but for TV - Equipment their site says:

"For concerns related to PVRs, digital boxes and remote controls, please contact your service provider directly."

It looks like the CRTC is not concerned about faulty equipment or products being sold to consumers.

This route doesn't look promising.

I haven't changed a PVR yet, because a reboot seems to be able to fix most faults that occur. I did have to do a factory reset at one point and we had to loose all our recordings.  I have also had run away recording that filled 72% of my storage.   These issues seem to be happening to all of us but as individuals we are not taken seriously.  

Maybe we need to approach this PVR problem differently and be more collaborative.  

Should we request a REGULAR monthly update from the OOP to all of @gdkitty's list of issues and keep adding more to the list of issues as they are encountered? We need to establish some kind of two way communication with Rogers just to find out what is going on with these PVRs. 

ie. What PVR problems have been resolved. What PVR problems are client induced. What problems are an acknowledged fault. And ALSO when will the next  update be provided. etc.

Surely a regular update on a single list of PVR problems would assist a lot of people in this community. 

Somebody on this forum earlier provided a link to the CCTS (Commissioner for Complaints about Television Services).    The CRTC has written a Television Service Provider Code which comes into effect in September 2017!  At that point, the CCTS will begin dealing with complaints under it's mandate, which unfortunately does not include these Navigatr problems.  (Google CCTS for more info).  Therefore, it is probably a waste of time contacting either the CRTC or the CCTS, but may be worthwhile to draw attention to the need for an expanded mandate.

Rogers does not want ongoing two way communication.  They don't believe there is much of a problem.  The only effective collaboration I can think of is for everyone to exercise their individual right to shop around for the best service.  Admittedly, the alternative is not that appealing, and it's a hassle, but Rogers does not have a monopoly, though they act like they do, and this is our best weapon, as consumers.

RogersMargaret gave us in update a few weeks ago, and RogersRoland updated us about the Closed Captioning fix.  Great, but not enough.  People have noticed more updates, but we don't know what, and it's not significant anyway, since I can't see any difference!  

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@DrMike wrote:

Pursuant to my (rather long) post/rant last night perhaps I can be a bit more succinct and ask 3 specific questions from my community colleagues:

1. Has anyone else experienced the phenomenon of the wrong program being recorded despite the fact that the tile says it is a different program? I have several series set up to record daily, ALL episodes (not just new ones) in that timeslot but once in a while when I open the tile for program "X" and start watching a recorded show, it turns out that it has recorded program "Y" instead. But still says it is "X".

2. Has anyone opened up a tile for a series being recorded to find at the top of the "scheduled" list a show that is scheduled IN THE PAST. As in, "X" is scheduled to record at say 1 pm,  and it SAYS "scheduled to record at 1 pm" but in fact it is now hours PAST the time, the show is long over, and the recording icon is still on, and it is perpetually in a state of 'scheduled' as opposed to 'recorded'. My guess is that it will stay "scheduled" in the past forever without intervention (usually rebooting) but haven't had the patience to see how long this freeze will last.

3. Has anyone else experienced a (seemingly) random failure to record a show in a scheduled series. As in, I have set up to record daily, all episodes, this timeslot, and all the scheduled future recordings are there (up to a week in advance) but once in a while one of the shows just does not get recorded. It's as if it just forgot, despite the settings. I thought maybe the problem was an interruption by download (yet again in the middle of the day!) but in that case recordings usually resume once the DL is finished don't they? This is the total absence of the program - as if it just forgot to record it on that day. 

Yes to all 3 of your questions.  Started on my NB3 on May 10 after the latest Navigatr update.  Happens about 3 or 4 times a week.  As recently as last night...8:00 p.m. scheduled series to record (all, not just new,anytime)...it did not record...the show was on...I was sitting in front of the box watching it live...shows in my guide as recording (red double dots)...but no red dot on front panel display...but in the picture tile list it shows as scheduled...right time, etc.,  just randomly decided not to record it.  It was the only thing I was recording, so it's not like the box was busy or anything.  Just checked now and it is still scheduled to record...yesterday at 8:00...

Since the update on May 10 I've had many issues...most are guide related...only NB3...my old NB2 is doing fine.

CAN SOMEONE AT ROGERS PLEASE LOOK INTO THESE ISSUES...IT APPEARS TO RELATE ONLY TO NB3 AND MAY BE RELATED TO COMMUNICATION WITH THE GUIDE INFO...CAN A FRONT END PERSON LET THE ROGERS BACK END ENGINEERS KNOW THERE APPEARS TO BE AN ISSUE.  Thank you.  I'd do it myself but your front end tech support won't let me.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@User14 wrote:

@Should we request a REGULAR monthly update from the OOP to all of @Gdkitty's list of issues and keep adding more to the list of issues as they are encountered? We need to establish some kind of two way communication with Rogers just to find out what is going on with these PVRs. 

Wouldn't it be amazing if Rogers did this!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok,

So here is my update after the tech visit today.

Last night I switched my NB2 with the NB 3 so I could watch on the big screen.With the switch the NB3 would  still not boot,stuck in the reboot cycle.So the tech shows up and looks says the signal is strong maybe too strong.But the box will not boot.So he brings in another box and gets it going.It boots he authorizes it and up it comes .Took a few extra minutes for the weather and call displayto work but they do.So he replaced the box and added a  6 or 9  db  pad since he thought the signal was too strong.Box is fast spunky works great. He leaves and I decide to swap the boxes back to the original locations. NB2 boots up fine everything working.NB3 boots fine but no weather ,no call display   .So I go downstairs and switch the 2 cables where they come off the splitter  and voila . Now I still have the  6  or 9 db attenuator inline with the NB3  but it appears that the tap off of the splitter was what solved it. The unfortunate part was the replacement box I got yesterday from the Rogers store was defective adding to the dilemna.  I may try removing the attenuator to see if that also makes a difference and brings the problem back.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@molly222 wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

Yes to all 3 of your questions.  Started on my NB3 on May 10 after the latest Navigatr update.  Happens about 3 or 4 times a week.  As recently as last night...8:00 p.m. scheduled series to record (all, not just new,anytime)...it did not record...the show was on...I was sitting in front of the box watching it live...shows in my guide as recording (red double dots)...but no red dot on front panel display...but in the picture tile list it shows as scheduled...right time, etc.,  just randomly decided not to record it.  It was the only thing I was recording, so it's not like the box was busy or anything.  Just checked now and it is still scheduled to record...yesterday at 8:00...

Since the update on May 10 I've had many issues...most are guide related...only NB3...my old NB2 is doing fine.

CAN SOMEONE AT ROGERS PLEASE LOOK INTO THESE ISSUES...IT APPEARS TO RELATE ONLY TO NB3 AND MAY BE RELATED TO COMMUNICATION WITH THE GUIDE INFO...CAN A FRONT END PERSON LET THE ROGERS BACK END ENGINEERS KNOW THERE APPEARS TO BE AN ISSUE.  Thank you.  I'd do it myself but your front end tech support won't let me.

@molly222

Thanks for this. It doesn't explain the wrong show being recorded in the wrong tile (my original point 1) but it does offer me a plausible explanation as to my points 2 and 3. 

Based on what I have seen and your added details from last night I think we do indeed have a failure of the physical NB3 box to communicate with the Navigatr program. And it seems then to be a 2-way communication issue.

In the first instance, Navigatr does not tell the Box to actually turn on the record function. So it shows as scheduled in the guide, shows as being recorded in the guide, but the Box never got the signal to turn on the recording.

I can imagine that the faulty signalling then goes the other way when the show is over. I presume that normally the Box tells Navigatr that the recording is done so that it can close the software loop and show it as finished recording - which is the trigger to move it from the 'scheduled' tab to the 'recorded' tab. Since the Box never recorded anything in the first place, it can't send an "I'm finished" signal so the guide shows it as perpetually scheduled and being recorded all in the past.

I don't know if any of that makes technical sense but it makes LOGICAL sense.

In any case, yes it needs to be FIXED.