UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Well I did a soft reboot last night before I went to bed and didn't look again until now but the box has no channels,they are all black.Still no weather or call display or ROD or guide info.The graphics resolution also looks strange like it's flipped to 480 but playback of a recorded show looked alright.
Did a hard reboot and no change so I guess I will try and get another box to try .Thankfully this is a rental.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@yyz64...did you try unplugging all your Rogers boxes as I posted earlier?  So far that has worked for me...but I have been told it will probably only take for a few days.  I'm east of Newmarket.  I received the update on Tuesday May 10 during the day.  The people I know so far that are experiencing this problem have the following in common:  all received the update May 10 during the day (could be different areas, but all got it that day), all have either a NB2 AND NB3 or a NB3 AND 4K box, all are experiencing on the NB3 only: guide problems intermittently, general sluggishness, no ROD, no weather app.  The unplugging/wait on all Rogers boxes seems to temporarily fix it for a few days.

@57...yes, you certainly would think it's an intermittant signal issue...but that's been ruled out by 2 tech's and me swapping box outlets.  I think it probably relates to the update, and a sequence of other events/equiptment that happens that "knocks the NB3 off the grid".  I know other issues I've experienced since being infected with Navigatr last July (and there's been many) have always followed this pattern of suspecting the signal, the box, back to signal, back to box issue...and in every case, it has turned out to be some bug in the software that Rogers eventually fixes.  You're right...certainly feels isolated when only a few are experiencing it and Rogers has no fix.  For some strange reason, once Rogers issues a ticket for your problem they think you should be satisfied with that.  The problems aren't fixed, the service is barely watchable at times, but they seem to think that customer service involves only issuing a ticket and sending you robocalls every 2 days.  I still get robocalls from last October and I highly doubt they are still working on that issue.  Sad...sorry, went off on a bit of a rant...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

molly22

I gave up and exchanged the box this afternoon.I mean it was worse with no working channels at all which it hadn't done before. So I thought I would try another box and see what happens.

Ok just for fun the replacement box won't even boot,it just runs through the boot cycle,gets stuck at the -05-  and then appears to time out and try a reboot.Called tech support and they can see the box  but now they want to send a tech out with a replacement box.

So molly222 I am now going to try what you suggested just for fun. Unplugged both NB2  and the NB3 and will try the sequenced reboot with those 3 and see what happens.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just shake my head in disbelief reading these last few posts.  

Why are these customers having to solve their own problems?

I encourage you to keep on them, and make them fix these technical issues. It's one thing to dislike the new Navigatr software and find it to be regressive.  These technical issues that are described are not a matter of opinion, they are failures in service, and let's not start tolerating that.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Customer01 wrote:

I just shake my head in disbelief reading these last few posts.  

Why are these customers having to solve their own problems?

I encourage you to keep on them, and make them fix these technical issues. It's one thing to dislike the new Navigatr software and find it to be regressive.  These technical issues that are described are not a matter of opinion, they are failures in service, and let's not start tolerating that.

Those of who have been living with this since last year @Customer01 have had little choice but to tolerate or quit. I'm taking the latter option.

When you have spent hours and hours on hold, hours/days waiting for technicians to come in the almost certain knowledge that they won't fix it. etc. etc. you get to a point where tolerance is all you have left.

Rogers have introduced a really, really, really bad piece of software.  I'm just ignoring the abysmal lack of design for now. 

My best guess right now is that this is poorly written software that relies heavily on the hardware platform perfoming to spec. Rogers in their quest to squeeze dollars out of their customers have gone ultra cheap on the hardware. The resulting cheap components result in a box that may test OK but fails in real life becuase the software is not sufficiently bullet-proof against the type of timing errors etc.  produced by the hardware. I can't think of any other way to explain why swapping the box will work for a while before another software update breaks that one and its back to the store for a new unit. 

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Maybe Navigatr works the NB3 too hard and causes flakey behavior ??

On Monday nite, I was recording my usual 6:30 to 7:00PM CBS/NBC/ABC 3 newscasts plus a Judge Judy on Yes TV,  while actually watching something else recorded previously.  The machine was also set to record Judge Judy on FOX at 7:00PM.

7:01PM came around. Everything froze and the machine stopped and started a reboot.

All the 6:30PM shows recorded properly, and a few seconds of  the 7PM got recorded, along with the later part  of that program after the reboot finished.

Perhaps Rogers (or anybody else who wishes) can try this on their set-up and and let me know if this was a one-time fluke or is it pushing past the limits of the NB3 running Navixxxx flakeyware?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So I tried what molly222  suggested and the replacement 9865 is just stuck in a reboot  / dnld   loop.It's been doing it for hours .So I'll let the tech tomorrow have fun with it and if he can;'t get it working ...well my patience after 20+ years is at an end.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I think JonBoy49 and Park are pretty close to the reasons behind all this...you have tons of people swapping out the NB3's over the past 6 months...I truly believe that Rogers takes these boxes, does a factory reset, dusts them off again and resends them out...so problem #1 is that you don't know if the box you're getting is just someone else's lemon.  Then you combine this with Navigatr that has more patches/band-aid's/duct tape stuck to it since the initial launch last July 28th (yes the date is firmly implanted in my brain), throw in a band-aid for ROD to work in a whole home environment, try to blend it together with guide info that is suspect, and try to use the same interface on old NB2's, NB3's, and 4K boxes.  You then send tech's to the house to check signal strength and we all know you need a darn good signal to operate all this stuff...so what is actually acceptable and what you actually need for it all to run well can be two different things.

So what exactly is causing problems?  Spin the wheel and pick one.

YY64...please let us know what happens after your tech visit tomorrow...(thanks)

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@molly222 wrote:

I think JonBoy49 and Park are pretty close to the reasons behind all this...you have tons of people swapping out the NB3's over the past 6 months...I truly believe that Rogers takes these boxes, does a factory reset, dusts them off again and resends them out...so problem #1 is that you don't know if the box you're getting is just someone else's lemon.  Then you combine this with Navigatr that has more patches/band-aid's/duct tape stuck to it since the initial launch last July 28th (yes the date is firmly implanted in my brain), throw in a band-aid for ROD to work in a whole home environment, try to blend it together with guide info that is suspect, and try to use the same interface on old NB2's, NB3's, and 4K boxes.  You then send tech's to the house to check signal strength and we all know you need a darn good signal to operate all this stuff...so what is actually acceptable and what you actually need for it all to run well can be two different things.

So what exactly is causing problems?  Spin the wheel and pick one.

YY64...please let us know what happens after your tech visit tomorrow...(thanks)

Perfect analysis. Sadly....

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@User14 wrote:

I don't think people post these kind of glitches but  I thought I would let the community know what is happening in our "Rogers World".

We should not start accepting these issues as normal.   

Indeed, there seems nothing "normal" about any of it. But like so many, I have gone mostly silent. I still read each and every one of these posts and shake my head and bang my fist, but at some point one just has a natural tendency to say "what's the point" of reporting glitch after glitch after glitch. So I stopped posting....

But in the spirit of we should not start accepting these issues as normal let me tell you about some of the gremlins at work in my house on our NB3. Not sure if I can even do this accurately but I'll try.

My wife likes to record a number of shows through the day and then watch in the evening. On CITY TV she DAILY records City Line and on CTV she records the Marilyn Denis Show, The Social and sometimes Dr. Oz (hey no accounting for taste but she *is* my wife 😉

On SEVERAL occasions Navigatr or the NB3 just decides to play dice and scramble it all up. If she goes the the recorded program The Social, for e.g. it 'says' The Social up in the top left corner once playback starts, but in fact what it recorded was Dr. Oz - same channel - whole wrong time slot. Others have similarly been scrambled - it says one thing but actually recorded something else.

And to make matters worse, if she goes into the tile she will see that a program is showing that it is being currently recorded but will say something like "Scheduled for 1 pm" yet is it already hours past 1 pm. How does it "schedule" something in the past????  It's as if once it got to the end of the wrong recording it realizes it has screwed up and doesn't know what to do so it just aborts yet still says it is scheduled, BUT IN THE PAST. And good luck trying to stop the "recording" or delete the show - nope. Have to reboot to get the pointers pointing in the right direction. 

This has happened SEVERAL times.

And the other infuriating this is that every few days, something that is scheduled to record just DOESN'T record. It isn't that it wasn't a "new" episode - my wife has gotten paranoid and records "ALL" episodes of some shows (sometimes in multiple time slots just to be safe). Nope - it just decides to go on strike and not record a scheduled show for  a day or two. No rhyme or reason that we can see. So she often ends up deleting all scheduled recordings and setting it all up again. Works OK for few days usually then - bam - it goes on strike again and decides for her that, naahhhh, she really didn't want to record that show after all. Future recordings are all still scheduled, but it just decided to take a recording holiday for a day or two.

A consequence of all of this is that now we have a rampant explosion of tiles for the same shows. One set on one channel, another set on another, or in another time slot, some just for "new episodes" some for all episodes in any timeslot etc, and all to hedge bets. And how shows get sorted into which tile is not an easy thing to decipher - I sometimes think it just randomly sorts iteslf to confuse us....

My wife and I have developed a sort of joke between us, except that it isn't really funny. Whenever she has these issues (at least one every couple of days) I chide her that it is user error and that she is just technically challenged, since there is NO WAY, I say,  that a huge tech/communications giant like Rogers would ever let such a piece of garbage out into the wild. We laugh (sort of) and then we pull hair out. I don't have much left to pull....

If I didn't have all of my services with Rogers, and a 30+ year client record, and have a good price bundle because of those, I would be out the Rogers door in a flash.

Have I mentioned before what a piece of unadulterated garbage this is??????