UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@rgottinger wrote:

Or you could just go to the station that the program is on. Why are you looking for a complicated alternative?

Not in my experience you can't. If you switch to the channel being recorded but, in mid-program, you can watch "live" from that point of course. But that's it. It will not "rewind" beyond the point you switched it over. It *used* to be able to do that in the old system since it was being buffered while recording anyway, but I haven't been able to do that on the new system.

But if you do go to the tile and select the show from the scheduled section as @57 suggested, then it works just fine. One more example of lots of steps to do what used to be easy peasy.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@DrMike wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

Or you could just go to the station that the program is on. Why are you looking for a complicated alternative?

Not in my experience you can't. If you switch to the channel being recorded but, in mid-program, you can watch "live" from that point of course. But that's it. It will not "rewind" beyond the point you switched it over. It *used* to be able to do that in the old system since it was being buffered while recording anyway, but I haven't been able to do that on the new system.

But if you do go to the tile and select the show from the scheduled section as @57 suggested, then it works just fine. One more example of lots of steps to do what used to be easy peasy.

I personally don't have a need to watch and record the same show at the same time and i suspect that, given all the things that people have been complaining about with this UI, this is unlikely to get a second look before perfomance issues are addressed

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re software design, coding etc..

@rgottinger and  @Gdkitty

You are describing what we used to call spaghetti  code.  One big interconnected mess.

Good soiftware is designed with many self-contained modules each with well defined inputs/outputs.

So changing one thing would not 'accidently' affect others.

Bad or faulty design results in unintended cosequences. 

e.g. How the PVR now manages to garble perfectly fine closed-captioniing.

If the the software were properly constucted, the problem would either not exist, or be already corrected. 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@rgottinger wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

I personally don't have a need to watch and record the same show at the same time and i suspect that, given all the things that people have been complaining about with this UI, this is unlikely to get a second look before perfomance issues are addressed

With respect, just because *you* don't have a need does not relegate it to unimportance. 

For example, it is not uncommon for me or my wife to let a show start recording if we know we can't get to it right at the beginning but then prefer to "catch up" in its time slot rather than watch at a totally later time. Sometimes we even do it very intentionally - let the program get a head start on us and then we have a great way to be able to skip commercials. 

Don't get me wrong - I am *not* trying to suggest that this is top of the list of importance by any means, but it is yet one more example of how they took something simple and made it complicated. In the name of "progress".

I'm an Advisor

@DrMike wrote:

@RogersMargaret wrote:

Hi Community,

I wanted to let you know that I've posted a response to the 'issues' thread that Gdkitty developed based on feedback compiled from this thread.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Please continue to use this thread to provide your feedback.

~RogersMargaret

Thank you for this post @RogersMargaret Frankly it is the first 'reassuring' thing I have seen here for months that says Rogers is finally listening. Or at least that they are finally prepared to respond.

I must say that, while pleased of course, I am frankly surprised to see that so many of the issues are purportedly going to be addressed. I remain skeptical that this will really happen but that's to be seen. 

I do still wonder why it has taken Rogers SO LONG to authorize one of its people to publicly address these issues. How much better would it have been to have had at least some ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of the issues and frustrations  and for them to at least say they were working on them, even if no timeframe/due date was tabled. We have all been left to twist in the wind.

So thank you @RogersMargaret for this. I'm glad that they have unleashed you to tell us this. You all must have been as frustrated as the users.

@RogersMargaret Very glad Rogers is doing the right thing here !

May I suggest including a reference to  @57s lists on issues and workarounds or inlcuding them where appropriate.  e.g the ability to toggle cc on/off while watching a recording, found by @BS.

One further issue which I believe will help us navigate the Navigatr tiles better,

esp those of us who like to watch programs while they are recording.

Once a program starts recording, please identify is a recorded, not scheduled.

The program would be easirt to navigatre to and watch.

In fact, it is no longer scheduled and can be watched just like any other recording.

I'm an Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

Because some of us watch more than one "near-live" program (e.g. 6:30PM US news on CBS/NBC/ABC) at the same time.   Pic in Pic works for 2 at once, but not 3.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, thats just it.

WHILE its still recording.. that schedule still exists.. it isnt over till the recording is done.

I do agree, i like it on the recorded menu rathe than the other... or just put it in both.

I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Well, thats just it.

WHILE its still recording.. that schedule still exists.. it isnt over till the recording is done.

I do agree, i like it on the recorded menu rathe than the other... or just put it in both.

I think "good design" would dictate it be in one category or the other, else those unintended consequences.

One cannot watch a scheduled program, but you can a recorded one.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@DrMike wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

@DrMike wrote:

@rgottinger wrote:

With respect, just because *you* don't have a need does not relegate it to unimportance. 

For example, it is not uncommon for me or my wife to let a show start recording if we know we can't get to it right at the beginning but then prefer to "catch up" in its time slot rather than watch at a totally later time. Sometimes we even do it very intentionally - let the program get a head start on us and then we have a great way to be able to skip commercials. 

Don't get me wrong - I am *not* trying to suggest that this is top of the list of importance by any means, but it is yet one more example of how they took something simple and made it complicated. In the name of "progress".

I couldn't agree more about the 'progress' angle but I still think that the more common issues will be the ones they look at, if any at all are looked at. I'd like to see search results that are shown actually be available to watch and not return 'Error (3)"

I'm a Senior Advisor

@rgottinger wrote:

Unless someone hoards a lot of shows to binge watch at some future date, I believe most people will want to watch a recording in progress from the beginning, fast forwarding through commercials and finish watching just after the recording finishes. I know I do. In fact, when I'm recording, say 3 consecutive 1-hour shows from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. I'll start watching the first recording just before 9 p.m. thus saving about an hour of my time as opposed to watching live.  But then I have a PVR with just 160 gigs of storage as opposed to the terabyte the NB3 has and can't let stuff pile up. Time waita for noone.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario