UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: UPDATED NextBox Navigatr - December 2015/January 2016

@Gdkitty wrote:

A bug maybe in the latest firmware then maybe? Smiley Sad

Thats the HARDES part of software development.

I do VERY little myself at my work.. very MINOR stuff.. minor web based, some minor apps to connect to DBs, etc.
But one of the reasons i never got FULLY into software development is because of these sorts of things.

You find a bug which casues X to happen.
Ok.  Track down WHERE X happens in the code... now try and figure ALL the variables which cause the bug (as it may not happen with ALL things on that part of the code).
Ok.  Now try to fix that part of the code so when you do that, it doesnt happen anymore.
Oh.. but look.. by changing that.. you effected how a different part now acts.. and can break that part.

And through more than 30 years developing mission critcial software for one of the big 5 banks i was expected to do just that, make sure that fixes didn't cause other problems. Its hard work but it can be done. Unfortunately, nowadays corners are cut everywhere and when you hire outside contractors the odds of it happening go up astronomically. Many delevopers write code assuming nothing will ever go wrong and the odds of that are slim

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, my "freezes-during-playback" NB3 finally turned into a "crashed-and-won't-boot-at-all" NB3. Bit the bullet, gave up many hours of recordings, and swapped the box. So far the replacement is still alive. I asked for a bill credit for my three weeks of trouble and lost recordings. I was given a token credit.

Community Manager (Retired) RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

I wanted to let you know that I've posted a response to the 'issues' thread that Gdkitty developed based on feedback compiled from this thread.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Please continue to use this thread to provide your feedback.

~RogersMargaret

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersMargaret wrote:

Hi Community,

I wanted to let you know that I've posted a response to the 'issues' thread that Gdkitty developed based on feedback compiled from this thread.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

~RogersMargaret

Thank you for this post @RogersMargaret Frankly it is the first 'reassuring' thing I have seen here for months that says Rogers is finally listening. Or at least that they are finally prepared to respond.

I must say that, while pleased of course, I am frankly surprised to see that so many of the issues are purportedly going to be addressed. I remain skeptical that this will really happen but that's to be seen. 

I do still wonder why it has taken Rogers SO LONG to authorize one of its people to publicly address these issues. How much better would it have been to have had at least some ACKNOWLEDGEMENT of the issues and frustrations  and for them to at least say they were working on them, even if no timeframe/due date was tabled. We have all been left to twist in the wind.

So thank you @RogersMargaret for this. I'm glad that they have unleashed you to tell us this. You all must have been as frustrated as the users.

I Plan to Stick Around

RogersMargaret, thank you for your post. As DrMike said it's heartening to get a response from Rogers after so much time.

That said, it seems that a number of issues might be addressed by summer. This is quite a very long time while we are no doubt expected to pay full price for services not rendered, but particularly when issues are related to accessibility for disabled. Rogers deployed Navigatr for some of us in Jan/Feb while others have been dealing with it since last summer. Is Rogers unable to fix sooner?

One question that many (including myself) have had is why does Rogers not roll back to the previous user interface? This would have immediately resolved all of these problems. Is there a reason for not doing so?

Thanks again.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

With the old channel interface I could watch a program from the beginning while I was recording but I can't seem to do it with the NEW and IMPROVED interface. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@paulmerrifield wrote:

With the old channel interface I could watch a program from the beginning while I was recording but I can't seem to do it with the NEW and IMPROVED interface. 

You can watch the shows still recording - go to the tile of the show, click it and go to the scheduled tab, not the recorded tab, if it's a series recording.  It only gets to the recorded tab once it's finished recording. For single recordings, simply click "watch".

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@57 wrote:

@paulmerrifield wrote:

You can watch the shows still recording - go to the tile of the show, click it and go to the scheduled tab, not the recorded tab, if it's a series recording.  It only gets to the recorded tab once it's finished recording. For single recordings, simply click "watch".

@57 wrote:

@paulmerrifield wrote:

Or you could just go to the station that the program is on. Why are you looking for a complicated alternative?

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMargaret wrote:

Hi Community,

~RogersMargaret

Thank you @RogersMargaret for this update.  This is information we have all wanted for a long time.

I am disappointed not to see that this is being addressed:

Single Recording - Information
As per above, single recordings will get their own tile. Going into this tile will give the program description, etc, but will NOT so any additional details as to what channel (no number or channel call sign), when was recorded, etc.
At minimum, should show the same information as the series recording.

This is fundamental information that should be available.  With multiple tiles for the same thing on the same day,  it is essential to be able to differentiate between times and channels.  Even once you start watching the recording, it's still impossible to know the time of the recording unless it is mentioned in the first minute of the show. (The workaround is to make each individual recording a series, but this is not  acceptable as a permanent solution.)

And what about improving the FAQ so that it is correct?  All the workarounds should be there, where customers go when they have a problem.  Leaving the incorrect information there is just shoddy.  Why should customers have to plough through forums to find out how to do things?  It doesn't take an engineer or software developer to write instructions, and it could be done very easily in a day by somebody else at Rogers.

Obviously, with so much still to be done, Rogers should NEVER EVER have released this software on customers.  Further, to be mostly uncommunicative about it for this long has added insult to injury.  Even if everything is eventually worked out, Rogers will be a zero in the "cares about customers" ratings.  Strangely at odds with what they are purporting to be improving.

Kudos to @RogersMargaret for being responsive.  But zero to Rogers corporate decision makers.

I Plan to Stick Around

He stated that he wanted to watch a show that was already recording from the beginning. 57 gave the correct response